Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7146-duke-nukem-mass-destruction/page__st__30__p__184040#entry184040

Top-down, UE3-powered.

From Interceptor Entertainment, the folks that made the recent Rise of Triad reboot.

Gritty reboot confirmed.

I’m also personally tired of Pigcops, Turd Jokes, and a Goofy Duke Nukem.

I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and “Badass” Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

That reminds me of how tired I am of strippers, babes etc. in Duke Nukem games, which only degrades Duke’s intelligence even more (there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn’t be the main plot of a game). Give us a Duke game without strippers, a great sinister villain than can break Duke (Think Bane from DK:Rising), a slightly older, and way more badass/gritty Duke, and a galactic plotline that can be taken seriously, and I’m Sold!
-Frederik Schreiber CEO Interceptor

So like the old sidescroller dukes?

It’s top-down.

The King makes his next-generation debut in Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction. A top-down action role-playing game for PC and Playstation. Duke Nukem kicks ass across planets in an Unreal engine-powered galactic adventure to save the president from an apocalyptic threat. All-new enemies. A never-before-seen arsenal of devastating weaponry and series-first mechanics, including experience points and tech trees, will let Duke rip’ em a new one in a way he never has before.

No top-down strippers, no sale.

Top-down Gauntlet, or top-down Torchlight?

So I guess this might not be happening after all.

A shame - its a danish company that is working on this, and this will probably end them.

This is weird. 3DR knew they were blatantly violating Gearbox’s IP. This has to be an epic troll by 3DR.

Does this mean if someone hadn’t translated the countdown site’s text, Gearbox would’ve found out about Mass Destruction along with the public? They own the character! That would be a ridiculous move. What was the goal here?

Apologies for the double post.

Interceptor has purchased 3d Realms/Apogee.

Apparently, not quite.

Update: Terry Nagy, co-founder and chief creative officer of Apogee Software, LLC, told Polygon, “Interceptor Entertainment has not acquired Apogee Software, LLC nor any of our IP including Rise of the Triad.”

As detailed in our feature on the history of Apogee Software, Nagy bought the rights to the Apogee name in 2008, along with the IP for franchises such as Rise of the Triad. It was Apogee Software, LLC, that licensed the IP to Interceptor for last year’s Rise of the Triad. Miller’s original company is Apogee Software, Ltd., which currently does business as 3D Realms.

They’re separate companies. Apogee Software, LLC isn’t the same as Apogee/3DR. Terry Nagy licensed the name Apogee in 2008, along with purchasing the ROTT licence.

3D Realms is Apogee, or to put it another way Apogee is doing business as 3DR. The label 3d Realms was intended to launch a brand with a clear directive/product, i.e. 3D action games, since Apogee had become muddled in during the Shareware rush.

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/440289348810858497
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/440289210826641408

So…what exactly has Interceptor bought then? A lawsuit against Gearbox??

They already had that. Instead they’ve got George “one game” Broussard?

Nevermind. Now it’s called Bombshell.

That looks so very terrible.

For those who don’t follow him, George had a mild stroke yesterday. Expect a full recovery. For all their faults remember these are real human beings…

Horrible news about George Broussard. I made a thread yesterday; luckily, he looks set to make a full recovery. He’s someone I really admire. The gaming scene would be pretty dull without guys like him.

I don’t think he’s involved with this project or current incarnation of 3D Realms.

As a huge 3D Realms fan, it saddens me to say this but that’s a truly awful trailer. I really don’t know what they were thinking releasing it? It completely fails to convey that it’s an isometric action-rpg. It looks like a college animation reel.

The screens look way better. It’s certainly been eventful. Two month-long countdowns, a character swap, a lawsuit, and studio acquisition. You can still see the Duke trappings in the shot: The aliens, Ripper, EDF clones, color palate.

Yeah that thread got no traction and went off the front page in less than a day it seems.