Dumbo (2019) - Live action with CG and Tim Burton

Colin Farrell, Nico Parker, Finley Hobbins, Danny DeVito, Eva Green, and Michael Keaton

No clown-shaming, no sale.

(Have you seen the original recently? It’s like 40% about how terrible clowns are).

Also curious what they’ll do with the definitely-not-racist crows.

It’s, like, 100% about how terrible circuses are to animals, which I guess fits in with the current thinking on circuses anyway.

Also, yay for the Pink Elephants on Parade bubble.

I assume that was in Burton’s contract.

Yeah, some of those old Disney classics are hard to watch these days. Peter Pan and Dumbo in particular have some rather unfortunate racist elements.

Oh look, Tim Burton and another remake, looks like it’ll be total garba…

Um, that actually looks like it might be not terrible. Color me surprised.

https://i.imgur.com/pdPnXMw.gif

My all time favorite Dumbo reference anytime, anywhere:

Dumbo’s one of my favourite old Disney flicks, for the pink elephants on parade if nothing else. It’s just a beautiful and crazy marriage of great music, animation and imagery.

Fullscreen that and turn it up.

And other elephants!

Peter Pan’s pretty unwatchable to me. Badly, badly racist and sexist. Woof.

I always forget just how cringe-ably racist the crows in Dumbo are until I watch it again, and holy shit (the main crow character is named “Jim”. Get it??)

1941 release.

It’s a challenge to look at historical pieces and art which are also heavy with racist propaganda. The kids won’t recognize it though, and I’m sure the remake will handle it better.

For along time, i really thought alcohol did some trippy things with people’s minds thanks to this movie. That elephant was so high, not drunk.

Dumbo is the one Disney classic that I’ve tried several times to get into but failed. I can appreciate parts of it in isolation-- the “Baby Mine” sequence is probably one of the saddest and most effective emotional moments in animated film history, and the pink elephant parade is deservedly (in)famous for its sheer creativity/lunacy–, but the rest I find unappealing and disjointed… maybe it’s because I don’t care much about circuses.

A lot of the early Disney movies are strangely (I would go so far as to say poorly) structured and paced. Cinderella is at least 25% pointless mouse pratfalls.

Dumbo is kind of a series of loosely connected music videos.

Yeah, I just never got into it either. I don’t find the acid trip sequence delightful at all. I hate watching it for some reason, and I’m not a prude about drugs.

My daughter has watched Cinderalla several times and when I find myself watching with her I’m actually quite happy they had the mouse stuff, as without that comedy and slapstick (and danger of the cat), the movie is humdrum fluff, made more so by the trite and outdated values they’re espousing.