Dune:Awakening - The Money must flow

A dune survival mmo.

No thank you.

I’d play that if it was single player and called Mad Max 2: Rider of the Worm .

Yeah, haha, stupid game, man - Fuck it.

Anyways - This is right up my alley and if Funcom can deliver like they have with Conan Exiles, I have around 6-700 hours coming right up in this as well! Awesome!

I’ll give two things for it – the cutscene looked good, and the keyword “survival” fits with the harsh setting of Arrakis. Anything else and they’ll have to prove it.

Hopefully it’ll be better than a Kevin Anderson/Brian Herbert Dune book.

I am heavily assuming they are using Conan Exiles as a base for the game - thats already set in the Desert, so the fit should be great.

It’s definitely a cutscene, but I don’t see how anyone can decide whether or not they wanna play it based on that. I’m gonna keep an eye on it but I will reserve judgement!

That’s a low bar.

Funcom does some decent stuff. I’ll be interested.

Astonishing amount of shooting and guns, given the source material, then again according to the same sources, shields on Arrakis ring the dinner bell for the great Shai-Hulud. Still feels very “generic sci fi survival sandbox”. Which, if done properly, wouldn’t be the worst thing to hope for.

Just change it, instead of running like dumb offworlders, to walking without rhythm.

Worth noting that its primarily Lasguns that are dangerous - projectile weapons could and were still used in the Dune universe, including by the Fremen. A shield will protect you from projectile guns, but not everyone wears shields, and if you’re out in the desert, you don’t want to wear shields (or you won’t wear them for long).

I reacted more to the “guy in bare sleeves in the desert” thing, which really seems like a bad idea, but I guess it’s something similar to the “left out to die naked in the desert” intro of Conan: Exiles.

Interesting that this is apparently an “alternate history” version of the Dune Universe - i.e., where the events of the book did not play out in the same way. Probably a good choice (as opposed to trying to fit this into the established lore). Seems like it could be interesting - provided I can take the MMO and make it into a non-MMO.

Can’t be fun to make an animation cycle for that .

This looks like a star wars game.

Shooting, desert bikes, no stillsuits.

Nah, distinctive lack of lightsabers. It’s #terriblygenericdesertscifi, the game.

Sandwalking isn’t the only change Funcom has made when it comes to Dune, but they seem incredibly committed to either abiding by the lore, or finding lore-appropriate justifications for where they deviate from Frank Herbert’s books. Bylos said they got permission from the Herbert estate to change how Dune’s lasguns work, so that they could prevent players from constantly nuking each other.

That sounds fun. The ultimate battle royale.