Dune: Imperium forum game

I played 2 or 3 games solo, but it felt the “AI” was a bit too passive. One AI gathered lots of troops, but never really deployed them… but I like it as a mode to learn the rules and get familiar with the cards and spots on the board.

Thanks for your comment. I see a mix of passivity and aggressiveness in the AI. In both my games, one opponent was passive, but the other was unrelentlingly aggressive! It just seems kind of random. In fact, that’s my main concern with the AI – it just makes random moves, without any planning. The advantage of this approach is that running the AI is fast and quick. (I use the app.) The disadvantage is that it’s, well, random. I wonder if someone could write an app that accounts for board state, opponent moves, etc.

Still and all, my second game was just as fun as my first. This time I played on Sardaukar (Veteran) difficulty, as Duke Leto against the Count and the three-star Countess. The game was noticeably more challenging, probably because the AI gets its Swordmasters a round earlier. As in the first game, I trailed much of the game. Again I got my Swordmaster in round 3, and again I focused on resource-gathering early and conflict later.

But this time I had trouble making a comeback. The Countess won in round 7, with 10 VPs. The Count had 8, and I finished with 7. I scored my final 2 VPs on the final battle of the game. Even though I won that battle, the Countess collected enough second-place Conflict rewards (namely water) to give her the 10th VP she needed to win.

I acquired five cards: Space Travel, Stilgar, Fremen Camp, Sardaukar Legion, and Power Play. I trashed two: Seek Allies and Dune, the Desert Planet. My card choices were all over the place, I guess. Last game, by contrast, I had two Bene Gesserit cards that synergized with one another.

I’m half tempted to play yet another game tonight! Or I may play a two-player game with my son. So far I’m loving the solitaire game.

My 20-something son and I played a two-player game, and he is now as enchanted as I am with this design. He had the Beast; I had Memnon. My opponent went all-in on aggression, competing hard to win most Conflicts. I decided to try a Council Seat strategy, focused on buying big cards and winning the diplomatic game.

It was even through the mid-game. He won most of the early Conflicts. It’s not like I never contested Conflicts, but my opponent gathered cards (including Intrigue cards) that focused on combat, whereas I didn’t. I did get some good cards: CHOAM directorship, Opulence, Space Travel, as well as Gene Manipulation, Other Memory, and Imperial Spy. He beat me 10-8 on the eighth round, in his first game. So much for the supposed advantage I had with two games of solo experience!

It certainly did play differently than the solitaire game. He made some plays the bot never makes, and largely ignored some plays (e.g., Hall of Oratory) that the bot makes regularly. Also, the poker game of Conflict was great fun. I paid more attention to Intrigue cards than I have been so far; I need to pay more attention to them still. All in all, a really great session of play.

If you guys wanted to do another forum game I’d be glad to deal out the intrigue cards.

Bought the game for my son as he is becoming a Dune fan. We’ll play it while he’s home from college and maybe if a forum game starts after the holidays I’ll jump in if there is room.

Yeah, a forum game would probably be easier for me after the holidays.

In the meantime, I’ve had two more solitaire plays. (Should I be posting about these here or in the “Boardgame Minis” thread?) In the first, I tried a Persuasion strategy, playing as Paul, and it was a disaster. I lost and scored only 3 VPs! I had a lovely hand of Bene Gesserit cards, including Lady Jessica, that synergized well together, but I forgot to find a way to score VPs. I got a seat on the Council and a somewhat late Swordmaster. I know people can win in FtF play without a Swordmaster, but an early Swordmaster sure seems important in solo play.

I took Memnon in the second game, and it was a much more tense game. This time I did get an early Swordmaster, and of course the Council seat, which triggers Memnon’s passive ability (gaining an influence bump). I focused on faction-access and military cards this time, and eventually I got 3 alliances (and 2 influence with the Bene Gesserit), so that was 7 VPs right there. I managed two Heighliners and two late-game victories to get me to 11 VPs, in the final round. This landed me in a tie with the Baron, but my spice hoard broke the tie, with my 8 spice outclassing his 4.

So I’m now 1-2 on the Sardaukar level, and 1-0 on the easiest solo level. I don’t think I’m ready for Expert yet, as I barely scraped a win here. I am wondering whether solo play requires more of a relentless military focus than the 3- or 4-player game. Still, in any game mode, you need to win at least a couple important Conflicts to win, as Spice Must Flow or diplomacy points don’t get you there alone.

me too … I would like to take a spot after Dec 25. I will do some programming for the intrigue cards, nothing sophisticated, just some indexing pointing to a table with the intrigue cards.