Dungeons and Dragons Online

Rather then post this in the other turbine thread I thought it would be easier to get all the information out. Here is what we know so far.

Ken Troop, one of the dudes in charge of Asheron’s Call 1, is in charge of DDO. Here is a link in which he talks about levels in the game.
http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=90

So, what we know right now from that letter:

• DDO will have a P&P level cap of 10 at launch.

• This will equate to 40 “character achievements” – basically, MMO levels.

• Each of thesse “character achievements” will get you an “enhancement”, which is basically a micro-feat, or a buff to one feat.

• You are limited to 4 enhancements at a time – if you want to get a new one, you have to replace an older one.

• Turbine is aiming to play to their strengths in monthly updates – so the L10 cap will be raised rather quickly.

• All content is hand made, nothing is purely random – although there presumably will be random encounters.

• Multiclassing is in.

• Up to 3 classes, No XP Penalty at all.

Other things we know:

• Takes place in Eberron, which is the new D&D universe created for 3.5.
  • Eberron, if I understand the lore right, managed to somehow survive the end of the world, so the world is recovering from a huuuge worldwide spanning war.
  • No XP for killing mobs, only for doing quests.
  • No crafting at all

Thanks for the info. Can’t remember where I heard it, or even if it is true, but apparently there is pretty much nosolo content in the game, and that it will be necessery to group with others to progress through the game.

I like grouping, but unfortunately due to my real life committments, have to solo in these type of games quite a bit.

If this rumour is true, there is no doubt in my mind that I will not be playing it, despite the fact that I am a huge fan of D&D.

WoW has broken open the MMORPG market, but it also has created expectations that these type of games should be about options and catering to all playstyles (groups, solo, quests, etc.

Eberoron’s a pretty neat setting, with mechanical living construct warriors embued with life by magic (Warforges), pseudo steam-punkish mechanical machines (flying ships, etc), powered by elementals tied to the machines and other interesting changes. Done right, it could be a pretty neat environment.

I also believe that all the quests will be instanced, correct

Honestly, that sounds very unappealing to me and I’m now even less interested in the game than I already was. I’m just not convinced Turbine has the in-house talent to craft a well-designed and fun MMO. While I haven’t followed DDO that closely, I dislike a lot of the design choices they’e made for MEO.

Ebberon is a sweet, sweet setting but I’m not really interested in grouping 100% of the time.

Just want to chime in here against D&D for perhaps different reasons - I played D&D as a kid before getting into Champions and then GURPS games (continuing later as an adult). I also have enjoyed the Bioware stuff, and I played most of the MMORPGs but I’m really looking forward to a fresh departure from the D&D world and system, and all its derivatives, and I have hopes that whatever Steve Jackson is working on will be good.

This sentiment is not really intended to be a vote for some kind of Fallout game, though, as cool as Fallout was in its own right. Don’t get me wrong, I might play a D&D-like game if it’s truly original in some way that goes beyond sexy new features like flying vehicles, but I have doubts it will hold me any longer than WoW and the Bioware stuff did which was shorter than I would have liked. Just my opinion, I know I’m probably in the minority on this one.

Eberoron’s a pretty neat setting, with mechanical living construct warriors embued with life by magic (Warforges), pseudo steam-punkish mechanical machines (flying ships, etc), powered by elementals tied to the machines and other interesting changes. Done right, it could be a pretty neat environment.

I also believe that all the quests will be instanced, correct[/quote]

Ugh. Steampunk and flying machines in D&D? Is there really an audience for this sort of thing? I thought most people were turned off, big time, by attempts to blend geek genres like this. Especially when it comes to gimmicking up traditional fantasy. Is Eberron really popular?

Eberron is actually a great choice for a lot of reasons. Forgotten Realms – which is the setting most people think of when they think of D&D – just doesn’t do it. The NPCs are all too powerful. The world is endlessly full of stuff they can’t let PCs touch or effect in any way. And a lot of the day to day elements such as races and generic monsters are already being done in every single other MMO on the market.

Eberron is new and pretty popular. Popular enough that WotC are treating it as the new assumed standard setting. It doesn’t have much power creep yet. A 4th level character can take on the captain of the guard in most towns. It’s focus is swashbuckling adventure from the get go, not a couple of levels of fraidy-cat rat-bashing before getting to resemble adventurers.

It feels like a well-thought out setting. Lots of large organizations to pit against one other, or more accurately, to hire your party to pit against another :) I’d love to play a single-player Eberron CRPG.

D&D = Greyhawk.

There, I just showed my age. :P

Before the wars, that is…

The Eberron setting sounds interesting enough. It’s not the Greyhawk of my youth, but it has plenty of potential. However, the bit about “no solo play” is a complete dealbreaker for me. I usually group in MMO’s, but I must have the option to solo when I wish to.

Happily, there are approximately 322309423 MMO’s to choose from these days ;)

In MMOs, I prefer to group about 10-20% of the time, and solo the rest.

I’ve spoken to MMO designers who don’t understand why people would want to play an MMO and “not play with other people.” I usually end up explaining that, even though I’m “solo,” I’m still very much playing with other people. All those real-person-controller guys running around doing quests and killing monsters and selling/trading and whatnot all serve to make the world a lot more dynamic than you get in single player games.

If D&D online is targeted toward always grouping, I’m officially no longer interested.

I have a feeling that, even if that’s their design goal, they’re going to end up changing it. Maybe after launch, and everyone complains. Which is too bad, because by the time the game is full of solo-able quests and stuff six months later, the world will have passed judgement on D&D Online and moved on to the next thing.

I’ve been following DDO pretty closely as of late and here’s what I know:

Eberron - This was chosen primarily because it’s a new world with plenty of uncharted territory and there’s lots of opportunity for Turbine to get creative without worrying about stepping on somebody’s toes. Plus, WotC wants to push it.

Personally, I think Greyhawk would have been a better fit for DDO’s strictly PvE “adventure module” design. It seems to me that Eberron is chock full of political intrigue which I just don’t see fitting in very well.

Solo - Turbine said there will be plenty of solo content in the early levels but eventually most quests will require grouping up. The folks at Turbine have said many times that they’re focusing on emulating the PnP experience, ie adventuring with your friends.

Haha! D&D Online using rules that are already written down in books I can get my hands on! That means I can start designing my min/maxxed fighter RIGHT NOW. kthanxbye

Ditto (and that includes even if it’s an EQ1-style game where you can solo for 15 or 20 levels but then must group to make any progress).

Useful rogues should be nice though.

Fighter? In D&D? N00b.

Everyone’s talking about how Eberron is new and cool…

But, from my understanding, the only reason it exists is because WoTC was giving Ed Greenwood and company too much money.

This new setting was culled from contest results and is royalty free for them AFAIK.

In contrast to Faerun, which was a fantastic setting with a ton of room for expansion in literally hundreds of very interesting places. Hell, just read “The North” box set to see a couple hundred campaign openers by itself.

To me, Eberron is just yet another example of how TSR/WOTC is now run by a bunch of soul sucking suits. For more examples - have you looked at how much a players handbook costs?

Considering you have to “group up” to play most multiplayer games outside of the MMO sphere, it seems sort of weird that the MMO genre is unique in that it is impossible to fit in grouping during limited time play sessions. Hopefully they will design the game in such a way that getting a group session for any given mission is as easy, intuitive, quick, and painless as joining a game of Battlefield 2 or UT2004.

So, where’s my Planescape MMRPG?

Just kidding. Although I think I’d pay triple the subscription fee for something that awesome.