Dungeons & Dragons 2024 - New core books, new evolution

I’m not even sure they know what they’re doing. Saying they’ve started a “TV channel” is crazypants. It’s three new original shows, reruns of the old cartoon, and re-streams of other already successful play sessions like Rivals of Waterdeep that started in 2018. There are Twitch groups with more varied content.

I don’t think it’s inherently a bad idea for Hasbro to dip into live-action series production centered on their products, but I don’t think a whole channel’s worth of content based solely on D&D is going to work. They’re already going outside the lines by trying to make a cooking show with loosely D&D-themed recipes. Plus, as already noted, no one is going to show up to watch any of this on a set schedule.

Hell, if I could commit to anything on a set schedule, I’d play D&D with my friends.

There is only one Rules Lawyer that I recognize, and he exclusively does videos on Pathfinder!

Haha. That guy is amazing.

I mean hell Games Workshop literally sell a monthly subscription service that purports to be a TV channel and I think now, like 4 years in there, might actually be enough total actual content there to justify buying it for a month, and yet it persists and those folks eat it up, so maybe Hasbro has a shot here. . .

I didn’t see it specified, but it’s a free channel accessible via Plex or FreeVee. I’ve checked out a few episodes of Faster Purple Worm, Kill, Kill, and it’s pretty fun. Right at an hour long, so it’s not the commitment of a Critical Role episode, and usually several celebrities. Ep1 has Seth Green and his wife Clare Grant and Wil Wheaton (and someone else I didn’t know) and Ep3 has Deborah Ann Woll and Matthew Lillard. I found them both very entertaining. I didn’t know anyone on episode 2, but it was still fun.

Largely, though, you guys are right. There’s very little original stuff there. I like the actual-plays, but the live schedule just doesn’t work very well these days. Mostly, it’s just the old cartoon.

I’m trying but I must be a luddite and Amazon has no clue how to run a streaming service:

I search for Freevee and find this, clicking where it says “Watch now”

Seems like I’ve found the right spot, as it has ads for Freevee shows and movies

I then search, but no dice although I find the inspiration for the show’s name:

Nah man it ain’t you. This is pretty counter-intuitive in this day and age. It’s not On Demand.

It’s a FreeVee CHANNEL under Live TV. Runs all kinds of D&D stuff, but you have to catch FPWKK when it actually RUNS.

EDIT: In non-D&D news, FreeVee has a lot of channels each devoted to just ONE show, but a lot of them are good shows…

For heaven’s sake, lol - thank you, btw!

What a weird idea. Its like if apple decided to make the new iphone have a rotary dial. Why wouldnt you make a online service on demand? What is the upside?

That’s an excellent question that I’ve been asking myself as well. I have no earthly idea. I wonder if maybe it’s cheaper this way? Really no clue.

That’s what I’m thinking. It’s got to be cheaper just broadcasting a single video over having to manage a whole bunch of different video streams.

I would assume it’s both cheaper from an implementation standpoint (although you’d expect that they’ve already got a different-video-per-user implementation from their regular Prime service they could just retrofit) and from a day-to-day cost standpoint. Broadcasting the same video to a whole bunch of users is just a much simpler service with a much simpler architecture.

That does make sense.

The US Postal Service will be coming out with new D&D-branded Forever Stamps in 2024.

The press release didn’t say if the original artists (Elmore, etc.) will be called out or at least get a stamp for free.

Forever Stamps are up to 1 stamp per 66 cp now. They’re more valuable than electrum pieces.

Would it be Chaotic Neutral to wish that all those parents and pastors that burned their kids’ rulebooks during the Satanic Panic would receive mail with one of these stamps on them?

I recognize Tiamat and the red box dragon?

My mother makes a point of using liberal-favored stamps (for lack of a better phrase–stamps celebrating social justice advances, for example) when mailing Christmas cards to her conservative relatives. It’s such a minor thing that it doesn’t even merit being called passive-aggressive, but it tickles me to no end.

That made me smile!

New free 5e introductory 1-shot for younger players.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1625-peril-in-pinebrook-a-free-introductory-adventure

“This Player’s Handbook will be the biggest Player’s Handbook that D&D has ever had,” said game design architect Jeremy Crawford. “Not only is it the biggest in terms of number of pages, it will have more subclasses than Player’s Handbooks have ever had. It has new spells, new feats, new weapon rules—including the weapon mastery options that many of you have playtested in Unearthed Arcana. And also mountains of brand new art.”

The Revised Player’s Handbook will have 48 subclasses, with four for each of the 12 classes.

So it sounds like this is supposed to fit on top of 5e, rather than replace it completely like a new edition? That was not how I’d understood OneD&D/whatever it is before now.