Dungeons of Dredmor - Graphical Roguelike-ish Awesomeness

According to the wiki, it makes a potion in your inventory that heals health and mana both. (And this is exactly the sort of obscurity I’m complaining about, incidentally.)

I think that would clash with the “style” the game sports. The current description:

Pour your blood and soul into a secret hidden thing that you can tap when the need is greatest - or whenever you fancy a nip of forbidden sanguine juices.

The same happens with every object, every description of skill, etc. All of them are written “with style”, and in some of them it makes it a bit confusing, in others it’s more clear what they do.

This one is better than the wiki IMO: http://j-factor.com/dredmorpedia/.

No obscurity there, you’ll get the skinny on pretty much everything.

My point is that I should not have to refer to an external reference to understand basic game mechanics like “what does my skill do?”

4 hours to go on the Ominous Countdown!

Info has been released, started a thread here:

I laughed when this showed up in my “available crafting” options. And NO, I COULD NOT RESIST! and am dead.

How was it as a wepon? I could see using it as a last ditch chance if it was powerful enough. It can’t really be the worst idea ever - can it?

After the deaths of more adventurers than I can count (really…I re-installed the game and have no idea how many total runs I’ve done), I finally defeated Lord Dredmor.

Going Rogue, Permadeath, random roll, using all three expansions but no mods. Skills were Axes, Dual Wielding, Perception, Burglary, Archaeology, Big Game Hunter, Piracy. Other than a brush with death on the very first floor, I managed to stay mostly out of trouble all the way down. The Lord Dredmor fight was long, since I had to used ranged attacks. Tried the axes a couple of times but never could hit him. Fortunately I’d saved up a whole lot of potions and ranged ammo during the delve, so had plenty of things to plink him with until he finally ran out of HP.

Is the ‘no time for grinding’ mode worth using? Or would I be gimping myself too much?

It’s more a question of whether you have the patience for full-size mode. The maps are just way, way too big to go through 15 of them.

Well, it also depends on the build you’re using. The No Time to Grind maps have significantly fewer drops and less special rooms, so crafting in particular suffers and there are certain other approaches that get shafted by it.

I don’t think so. For a rogue build it’s stellar if you don’t have the time, as the levels are 50% the size and you get exp way faster.

malkov - I’ve played them a lot, and there are large rooms where every single floor tile is a drop. So maybe not as many, but you still get a lot.

Congrats ineffablebob!!! That’s an impressive feat. I’m not disciplined enough to “go rogue”. I will die so often from stupid things I get mad at myself.

I’m level 26 on floor 9 with a mostly rogue build. I’m feeling confident I’ll kill Dredmor dead. My next best character was floor 5 at level 13 before dying. I’m tingling with a nervous excitement!

I’m on floor 8, level 20 (GR/permadeath, diggle gods on) with my current build (cribbed from the wiki strategy section) and going strong. Between my 77 block, 22 armour absorption, and 10-ish piercing resist, not to mention a spread of almost every special damage resistance, dodge, counter, 30+ magic resist and 25 spell reflect, I am a tank. Berserk and master at arms further toughen me up with copious on-hit buffs. Maxed unarmed plus a variety of bonus damage from artifact gear and melee power means I’m regularly connecting for 55+ damage, more when any of several procs fire. And between my artifact bow and a huge arsenal of bolts, if for some reason I don’t want to close with an enemy (typically the ridiculous uniques that I keep spawning from Chests of Evil even though I know full well it’s a bad idea and I’m going to get maimed), I’m doing as much or more damage at range too. I just need to get my tinker level one point higher to craft an absurdly powerful special bow - I have all the components, including the steel recurve crossbow, root of t’char, dire empowerment potion and powder of ibn ghazi. Unfortunately I currently haven’t seen either leather cap (all I would need to craft tinker goggles currently) or the goggles themselves. And tinkering is my only crafting tree.

I’m debating whether to use my artifact mirror shield (more absorb, block, pierce resistance, and I’d hit almost 75 spell reflect), or one of my two tomes - the one that spawns thaumites on my enemies, or my current artifact Tome of Too Much Information, which procs the Ennui debuff. Or I could go back to floor five and snag that copy of the King in Yellow…

I was alerted by the Something Awful Dredmor thread to this just-released Swashbucklers mod:

Note that this is -not- just a Swashbuckler skill tree mod (it doesn’t appear to add skill trees at all, in fact). It adds a whole bunch of custom items, monsters, dungeon rooms, crafting recipes, etc. Looks pretty rad.

OK. that is awesome.

Malkov, what did you end up doing with shield vs. tome debate? I think I would have gone Tome because I am always screwing up and getting Thaumite on myself.

I went shield, though I’ve hung onto both tomes. Also crafted some Imperial Boilerplate and found a Bolt Eruptor crossbow. Right now I’m mid-floor 9 trying to work up the courage to play more because floor 9 enemies can actually hurt me meaningfully despite my 90-ish block and 30+ armour absorption and spread of resistances, etc. (Well, mostly with the special damage types, one reason I went with the mirror shield.) And I can just see this going south in a moment’s inattention.

Just did this. So far it’s been a surprisingly good idea. I have decent fire resist (I’m assuming from max smithing) so I’m not taking any damage when the effect procs.

Now if I could just find some gear with transmutive resists I could use the dwarven nuclear hammer.

Good work! Your random build is similar to the one I had when I beat GR/PD/Random (I had perception, dual wielding, big game hunter also) and I was surprised by how useful perception was. What skill do you think helped you the most?