Dungeons of Dredmor - Graphical Roguelike-ish Awesomeness

Are they going to put this on steam?

It is pretty awesome. Even though I’m dying a lot, I have no idea how crafting or anything like that works (can’t seem to find a manual) and so on, I’m having a great time.

“Is there Permadeath?”
Yes. It is an option you can enable.

I loved how death worked in Shiren on the DS. There were places you could store a limited amount of items so you did not lose them. Dying was also necessary in order to advance various story lines in the game.

You will die and die and die and just for kicks die some more, but you’ll also learn with each new death and descend just a bit further. They’ve seemed to have upped the difficulty as well and I’m loving every minute of it.

There is only permadeath if you want it so it’s not as bad as dying in ADOM.

As for crafting, when you right click on one of the crafting equipment there is a book of recipes. Follow the recipes and walla you have your new crafted item (if your crafting skill is high enough)

I’ve only done alchemy so far and the way it works is the more points you spend in alchemy the higher your alchemy skill level which enables you to make better potions. Also you’ll get more booze/potions when you increase your alchemy skill or have it increased through magical means. Like if you are making Dwarven Rut Got out of a Sewer Brew then you’ll recieve two Rut Got instead of just one.

They’ve added a ton of tinkering and smithing craftable items. Most of which I can’t make because I haven’t chosen the tinkering or smithing skill. I can make a few things like arrows and I made a helmet once, but I mostly concentrate on alchemy and fungal arts for right now.

Smithing4Lyfe

I also giggle when the game congratulates you for dying.

I’m assuming this is single player?

Yes, it’s singleplayer.

Aren’t most games of this type single player only?

Yes, which is why I assumed, but thought I would ask!

A competitive multiplayer roguelike is an interesting idea. You set it up in such a way that you want to beat the others, but can’t let them die because you need them to progress further. I like that…

A lutefisk god! Where do I sign up.

How much “humor” is there? I like these games, but I’m the opposite of Tyjenks. I hate it when they try to make them all jokey or go for geek humor in them.

I am normally the same (also with novels I read) but, after following the game, things they say just make me chuckle. Can’t really put my finger on why this change of heart. Maybe it is that there are plenty of games in this vein that do take themselves seriously and I am ready for a bit of a change. I think the gameplay is still solid and it is just the wrapper that is full o’ jokes.

The humor is very much in style of the old Lucas Arts games. In fact, if Secret of Monkey Island and Kingdom of Loathing had a baby and it was roguelike, it would be Dredmor. Very much silly and weird rather than dick and fart jokes and the cake is a lie.

Hi everyone! For those I haven’t introduced myself to yet, my name is David Baumgart and I’m the artist at Gaslamp Games. Also doing a lot of the skill/spell/item/room/monster content and mechanics design.

To answer two important questions:

1. Dungeons of Dredmor will sell for under $10
  2. And it will be released very soon.

We’ve had to push the date back as we deal with business issues but we’ve got a tentative ship date. It’s not officially announced, but soon.
Also, it looks like we have a distributor that I’m sure you’ve all heard. We’ve not done an official announcement of that either.

As for the beta:
I’m getting tons of beta requests. The response is wonderful and overwhelming! To repeat the terms of beta invites from the roguelike thread, just email contact at gaslampgames.com or PM me – make sure I get your email and Qt3 forum name so that I know where you’re coming from and where I should be sending to if I send you an invite.

I’ve passed out 10 invites thus far for Qt3 and am seeing how it goes, then may do some more invite waves. Anyone in the beta: you’re welcome to post any and all of your thoughts and feedback and screenshots and complaints, whatever you want.

As long as it’s before Duke Nukem as promised ;)

Fleshsmithing and Mathemagics await!

I rarely ever care about roguelikes but this looks cool.

No beta for me. Day one purchase, though.

Fnord