Dusk - a good ol' first person shooter

There’s Also Project Warlock, which goes for an even more retro style (graphics before the Duke3D era), though it mixes the gameplay up with some stats & weapons upgrading.

I played it for a bit and I think it is a great game to play in shorter 30-60 minute bursts (enough to shoot through a few levels).

Nice trailer on that Steam page. Project Warlock looks good. My favorite part of that trailer was at the 30 second mark where they say “NO Rogue Like”. Heh.

I love that these old school mechanics are making a comeback. I was really tired of Doom Clones and then Duke3d clones back in the day, but when they went away almost completely, I do miss them. I don’t really understand why the retro shooters have to look pixelated and have bad graphics as part of the package, but I’ll take it.

I really don’t think that is bad graphics. If the graphics style is consistent, it is good graphics, no matter one’s personal taste. Now, are all of those consistent? Uhm… maybe not xD But Project Warlock really surprised me with that.
Now, if you personally don’t like the art style, sure, then it’s not for you.

But honestly. Games like Dusk, Ion Maiden, Project Warlock or Amid Evil (not sure, didn’t actually play it) do more for me than any single player shooter from the last 10 years.
The graphics are detailed enough to see what something is supposed to be, but vague enough to give my brain something to do and use that imagination to fill the gaps. Modern shooters just “look real”, but that’s about it.
I’m really happy devs are descovering the old styles as actual styles and not just limitations of budget or tech.

Gameplay-wise, pretty much the same.
I’d probably vomit if I had to play another CoD-style “press X to take cover” shooter.

They don’t, but like many other indie games, it happens that this kind of experience is being done by small dev teams without the budget or talent for great art.

I agree to a certain degree but if I want the Doom vibe with current graphics, I’ll just go Doom 16. And even though it has a slightly retro look, Amid Evil has great graphics.

Edit: And while I really love Dusk they really went a long way towards mimicking the animations and graphics of the time period they are trying to convey. I don’t have Ion Maiden but it also looks to be exactly the Build Engine game it claims to be. Project Warlock can kiss my whole ass. I keep blowing myself up in the first place where the floor falls out.

Resurrecting this thread just to say that Dusk finally popped up on GOG a couple weeks ago. I bought the Intruder Edition which comes with the excellent OST.

Anyway, OMG I feel like I’m back in the 90’s again man! And absolutely loving it!

Creepy settings, secrets galore, and exceptionally fluid movement and gunplay. I’m probably playing it slower than most due to my obsessive searches for secrets, but that’s exactly how I played these games in the old days too; clear the area, then search for secrets. I played them more as action/exploration games - I love looking around when the area is clear - or rather supposedly clear.

I should have started at a higher difficulty though; plays a bit easy at the moment. I’m only 2 levels in though, so I’ll probably start over.

Weird flex, but Dusk is getting a whole bunch of updates, some of them coming from the Switch version that’s launching soon.

I restarted the game. This time I’m going to focus exclusively on preserving ammo. (Last time I played, I reached the 3rd level and ran out of ammo, and eventually died to ranged enemies).

This time, I’m just using the starting melee weapon only if I can. Since I know I’ll need all my ammo for later.

FYI, since you want to focus on melee weapons - you shouldn’t really need to, but you absolutely can - hitting the cultists’ projectiles with your sickles will reflect them. (Also, if you find the soap, throwing it will in a one-shot kill for everything.)

I did find the soap in the first level, but didn’t pick it up. Who would suspect soap of being a weapon?

Not going to take any chances this time. Last time, like I said, 3rd level, no ammo, and loooots of ranged enemies that I couldn’t shoot back.

Usually a good idea.

This was once an April Fool’s joke. Now it’s real.

And a new update that puts some Switch features into the PC version!

There’s a…HD rework coming.

So, it’ll go from early Quake to about Half Life in terms of visuals. The mind boggles.

Call me when the HD version gets a retro de-master.

Dusk HD is now out, it’s a free dlc you have to download.

Free is cool.