Dusty Hill RIP

Died in his sleep, 72. Love me some ZZ Top

Whaaaaaat? Nooooo!

That’s sad to hear!

RIP Dusty …

I think he had been ill. Elwood (their roadie) was filling in for him on the tour.

Dang. Sad.

So after their first tour they had to take a break. It was exhausting. They went their separate ways for a year or two. When they got together again two of them had decided to grow epic beards. So they kept them.

I’ve always been curious about that story. The Rev has a gift of embellishment, and it’s a little funny the two of them decided on their break, grow long beards, except for the guy named Beard.

ZZ though was always one of my favorite bands. Lotta good blues in there, even if it had synths and loops.

Good point. But I want to believe. :)

Yeah, me too.

Those 3 guys had it.

Their 70s stuff has always been my favorite, before all the synth and 80s pop, probably because that’s the stuff my dad listened to. But I’ll be honest, I have a place in my heart for the 80s stuff too.

Mine, too. But 72? Fuck me. Scary stuff for a guy a week from 70.

It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.

Yeah, I mean it may be an unfair assumption but I would have to figure that Dusty has done some pretty hard living in his time on earth. For an average person I’d probably say 72 is to soon - for someone who has a lifetime of touring and generally being a rock and roll star? Maybe not. Still, I’ll miss him all the same.

Also, just have to post my favorite ZZ Top song. RIP, Dusty.

https://youtu.be/L2UTjoVVVb4

FWIW there were several bets made way back when if I’d make it past 30, so the past 40 years were a bonus.

Besides, I’ve taken to giving my age in hex, which would make me 46 :)

Nice interview with Billy here.

I like that, that Dusty was explicit as to what he wanted to happen if he couldn’t carry on. No second guesses about honoring his memory.

Man this makes me sad. I’ve always love ZZ Top and have seen them live several times. They always put on a helluva show. Their early stuff was incredible and their later more commercial music was still very good. Deguello will always be in the list of my favorite albums. RIP Dusty

Listening to some ZZ Top tonight. My heart goes out to Billy getting on a stage tonight.

I think this gives the “Longevity and continuity with original band members on recordings” on record now.

Aerosmith out of the running because of the two albums without Perry and Whitford. Rush out of the running for that first album or so without Peart.

Seemed appropriate to post this video from Leland Sklar about Dusty Hill since, as you could probably imagine, they were beardy bass bros (though oddly enough, sounds like Leland and Dusty never met).

https://youtu.be/dbYe248sgoc