DVD is only way to watch TV series

I don’t watch TV, well the occasional PBS show once a month or so, but largely I’ve given it up. I don’t have cable/sat and I don’t own a TIVO.

But while travelling, stuck in a hotel room, I got hooked on Sopranos a few years back and have watched the entire series only on DVD. Shhhh I haven’t seen the ending episode…still waiting for DVD to come out.

Watching an entire season, 3-4 episodes a night for a week is like binging on chocolate. Sooo good.

My next series was “Trailer Park Boys”…which I watched a few seasons. I’ll go back when my queue is empty. It’s a bad kind of good.

I loved Firefly but was devastated no more than Season 1 was available. That really sucked.

BSG is awesome. Can’t wait for season 3 to be released on DVD.

Bought the Mash entire season DVD package…friggen awesome.

Now I’m hooked on Boston Legal. I watched entire season 1 in a few weeks courtesy of Netflix and am working my way through season 2. I tried watching the season opener but didn’t make it past the 1/2 way mark. Commercials definately ruin it.

Tried curb your enthusiasm…gave up…tried the man show…gave up.

I’m looking for other series that might be good.

I’ve heard good things about 6 feet under…24…

What else do you like watching on DVD?

The Wire.

Lost.

Arrested Development.

The Shield.

Flight of the Conchords.

House.

30 Rock.

I’ve enjoyed or am enjoying all of those, and I agree this is the way to do it. Something about the satisfaction of cliffhangers resolved immediately takes the annoyance out of TV. That, and no commercials.

On the same note, sometimes on Fox on Demand, they have an ad for the Toyota Yaris, that is just a picture of the car, and a guy with a nice voice saying “this presentation brought to you by the Toyota Yaris. Toyota, moving forward.” or something very similar. This is the single most effective piece of advertising that I have personally seen in years, simply because I can stand to watch it. In fact, I’m so thankful that it is 1. Brief 2. Quiet 3. Not making a stupid joke/pun I might buy one of these awful, tiny cars in gratitude. All other commercials I just hit the Mute button and browse Qt3 until it is over.

H.

This is the best way to experience a show like 24, but you’ll find yourself staying up until 2am to get in one – more – episode.

Alias was a neat show, too.

Rome, Weeds, Dexter.

I’m right there with you, Tmanpdx. The only way I see any TV any more is on DVD. I can’t sit through commercials any more, and I have no patience for getting the episodes straggled out over many months.

The Wire has already been mentioned, but it’s worth mentioning again. Also Deadwood, and Veronica Mars. I liked the first season of Lost, but I lost patience (no pun intended) with it by the end of the second season.

Right now, I’m in the middle of The Singing Detective, a BBC mini-series from the mid-80s. A bit depressing, but very well-written and well-acted.

Soap! (dated, but still good)

I’d suggest Monk and Psych. I’d also second Veronica Mars.

Add me to the list of people who get most of their TV via DVD. I second the Veronica Mars and Alias suggestions, I’m also surprised Heroes hasn’t been mentioned yet. If your looking for something other that drama/action I would suggest checking out Entourage it’s surprisingly funny and not at all like what I expected.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force

I’m not sure I recommend Heroes anymore - not because it’s not good (it’s very good), but because the writers’ strike appears poised to make it dead midway through this second season. That’s something I don’t think I’d want to get hooked on, if I weren’t already.

From the US:
Carnivale - died an untimely death, but was the single best television show ever.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel - depending on what exactly you liked about Firefly, you may well like those (persevere through the first season for each - they’re still okay, but had not hit their strides).

Twin Peaks - now out entirely in one DVD boxed set that I must have. First season’s awesome, but I haven’t seen the pilot or second season, as they’ve been very hard to come by up until now.

Jeremiah - often overlooked post-apocalyptic show about a world that was hit by a plague that killed everyone who’d gone through puberty (with, it turns out, a few exceptions). Loosely (and I do mean loosely) based on a French or possibly Belgian comic I’ve never read. Primary reason to watch: It’s J. Michael Straczynski’s non-Babylon 5 show. Unfortunately the second (and last) season doesn’t seem to be out on DVD nor on its way to DVD. You can stream it from Netflix’s Watch Now or hit up torrent sites, though.

American Gothic - interesting show about a creepy Southern sheriff and the town he runs. Episode quality varies fairly widely and it’s not a continuous plot the way most of these other shows are - kind of predates that era of television. Still, there’s a certain amount of timeline progression, which makes it very frustrating that the show was aired out of order and put on the DVDs in air date order - the DVD people even knew what the proper order was, and put it on their site, but not on the damned DVDs. :P

British:
Ultraviolet - very well done series about a small covert government agency tasked with researching and countering the activities of vampires (though they never use the word, referring to them instead as “Code Fives” (V)).

The House of Cards Trilogy - political drama about a devious, manipulative, and ruthless member of Parliament’s maneuverings towards the Prime Minister’s role (and his subsequent efforts to stay in power). He’s a very charismatic character, but not at all a nice man.

The Sandbaggers - excellent 70s series about the Special Operations Directorate of the British foreign intelligence service (MI-6, I think. But I forget). Very realistic treatment - no James Bond gadgets and high action theatrics, but plenty of politicking and tense covert action. Three series in all, with the storyline ending a bit abruptly as unfortunately the show’s creator and primary mover disappeared mysteriously before he’d completed it.

The Prisoner - if you don’t know about this one…

Black Adder - the first series has the highest production values but is the least of the four in my opinion. Series two and three are hysterical and make excellent use of their historical background. Four is less funny overall but, well, it is set during the first World War, which means a certain somberness creeps into things. The last episode is positively tear-inducing. Oh - it is a Britcom, so if you don’t like that brand of humor…ah well.

The League of Gentlemen (not to be confused with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Really really different.) - How to describe this show…hmm. It’s…uh…it’s kind of like Monty Python crossed with Twin Peaks or something similarly bizarre and somewhat unsettling. There’s the usual skits (more or less) and the inherent comedy of having a handful of middleaged men play most every character of either gender. But there’s a darker edge to it. The proprietors of the Local Shop dance naked around a bonfire and do strange and terrible things to non-local visitors. The butcher sells a secret “special” meat. The veterinarian tends to kill animals he treats in spectacular manner (not intentionally). The weird, creepy traveling carnival proprietor winds up fleeing the town screaming.

Oh! Also - Lars Von Trier’s “The Kingdom” (the translated title. Originally called “Riget”). Weird, weird show hovering halfway between comedy and horror. Unfortunately as far as I know only the first series has so far made it to the US. There were two, and even with both the story isn’t entirely complete - he has yet to make Riget III, though there’s apparently a planned story arc for it, if he ever gets around to making it. Yes, Stephen King remade it as Kingdom Hospital for US television. No, it isn’t anywhere near as good.

Homicide: Life on the Street
Venture Brothers
Home Movies
Northern Exposure
Wonder Falls

Deadwood
Arrested Developement
The Wire
Prison Break
Heroes
House
Top Chef

It’s very dark indeed, and I didn’t know what to make of it at first, but I grew to find it very funny as I kept watching. Necessary to watch it if only to get British catch-phrases like “It’s a local shop … for local people!”

TV on DVD is very very satisfying for serial dramas. I can’t even understand how people watch a slow-paced (but excellent) show like The Wire over several months – the waiting would be excrutiating. Used to make me insane, the waiting and speculating when I was watching “Twin Peaks” when it was first on.

6 Feet Under – it’s a startlingly adult and serious show, all about the inner lives of mostly unhappy people. Probably not for everybody, but I think it’s very good.

I disdain sitcoms usually but there have been some good ones the last few years – I really like Arrested Development, 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother.

It is interesting how watching them in a block also takes away some of the cultural relevance. I think that as we grow capable of consuming more and more entertainment, that shows like Seinfeld, I Love Lucy, and similar things that are just cultural buzz-words are going to become less and less likely.

A lot of those TV shows was having them just be part of the culture due to being watched for years on end, little bits at a time. The ability to now consume them in a block over a long weekend or two may change that.

Never going to happen because the older doctor - the one who hates the Danes - died. Without him, there really isn’t a show. Too bad too, because I absolutely loved The Kingdom.

I don’t have the endless piles of cash to blow on full Seasons, so all I have is Lost. Watching the 1st 2 Seasons on DVD and the entire 3rd Season (sans the finale as the TiVo messed up) was the best viewing experience I have ever had with my television. Well, that is, next to a certain tape labeled “NFL’s Greatest Moments”, which a friend recorded for me for when my wife was pregnant and “Out of Service” for a few months.

I’d still settle for an American release of the second series.

I agree with the title also