DVDs sufficient for next gen?

I noticed a recent article that talks about this topic here.

For those too lazy to read it, the highlights:

Xbox games

* Average for 2001: 1.81 gigs (21% of disc)
* Average for 2002: 2.17 gigs (25% of disc)
* Average for 2003: 2.47 gigs (29% of disc)
* Average for 2005: 3.20 gigs (37% of disc)

Total size increase between 2001 and 2005 was: 77%

Xbox360 games

* Condemned: 3.9 GB
* Madden 06 NFL: 3.3 GB
* Dead or Alive 4: 5 GB
* NBA 06: 4.5 GB

Average: 4.18 GB or 49% of the DVD9 capacity.

So if we were to assume a similar rate of growth over the next 4-5 years, a single DVD will still be plenty for developers to work with…assuming they don’t throw in tons of HD movies on it, of course.

There’s always multi-disk. I always regarded the multi-disk RPG’s as special and more worth the price tag. I mean, look at all those disks!

Content does not equate fun and playability. Give me good games anytime. I don’t care for multi-disk DVD if the games are not any good.

A big RPG like Oblivion will ship with one DVD, so I don’t see an issue. Maybe there will be some games eventually that need 2 but so what.

And w/ the ingame graphics that good, I’d like to see the death of pre-rendered video in games. That way it can have involved cutscenes that dont take up a ton of space like HD video would and there wont be that ‘snapped out of the game’ feeling they introduce.

Actually, the use of cutscenes has less to do with how good game graphics look, and more to do with the available tools. To create a prerendered quality cutscene in most game engines is nearly impossible with the given tools.

Or alternately, developers don’t want to take the time to implement the tools they’d need to do it.

Well, like pgr, great graphics, easily cut scene quality IMO. Meet that standard in your game, this is next gen, they are $60 because of all that extra detail and the army of guys hired to make it all gorgeous, riiight?

Right but again, we aren’t talking about graphics. We’re talking about tools for scene setup, lighting, camera cutting, and animating. Creating the tools to do that isn’t an easy task.

Yeah, but neither is making decent games, I would imagine.

And I know next to nothing about what’s involved in making a game, but why is setting up a scripted cut scene that uses the game engine so much harder than doing a big prerendered movie? I’ve seen the former on quite a few low-budget games.

It’s not necessarily harder, so much as not as good. The tools for doing so in a prerendered fashion are constant and have been around for well over a decade. The tools for doing so in the game engine are created on a per engine basis, are buggy, lacking features, and on top of that, have to be relearned by all people new to a project.

Alternately, developers buy an engine with super-mega-shitty scripted cutscene systems (like unreal engine 2) and don’t have the knowhow or manpower to edit such an ugly codebase like that in order to add the missing features.

If you want to know how hard it is to do, load up unrealed with unreal 2k4 and try and make a matinee cutscene. The tools for simple things like properly creating a camera path simply aren’t there. And that’s before even trying to cram custom animations and sequencing in.

Rendered cutscenes are often outsourced as well I believe

Yep, and if not outsourced, then the company most likely has a team dedicated to doing nothing but, and so the development of the cutscenes don’t affect the core development. Which is impossible with in-game cutscenes because your people have to be on the project learning the tools.

Then skip them altogether since there is a 99% chance the story will be awful anyways ;D
CoH’s are certainly a total waste of money anyways.

I’ve just started playing the original Baldur’s gate, it doesn’t have a full install option like BG II did so there’s a lot of disk swapping required. Why did people put up with that 5 years ago?

Did we all forget the olden days where games came on 4-12 floppies? Sometimes double-sided? I never want to go back to multiple discs again. Shudder

Fuck that - so long as we don’t go back to CODEWHEELS, I’ll consider us ahead of the game.

Some Gamecube games shipped on two discs. Wasn’t a big deal to me.

I’m pretty sure you can just manually copy the cd’s to the hard drive with all the infinity engine games. There’s an .ini file in the game directory that has to be edited with the new location of the files, but it’s pretty painless otherwise. I was more or less forced to do it with Torment because for some reason that let you side-step a memory leak in the game.