Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Ah very nice thank you. Also seed job cancelation spam is caused by the fact dwarves now bring the container to the item and then replace the container in the stockpile. While the container is wanderlusting the items in it cannot be found by dwarfs causing job cancellations.

WHAT

THAT’S NOT DWARF FORTRESS!

While being another pretty lame semi-bug, this explanation makes sense - thank’s for the head’s up on this Wolff.

rezaf

The solution I found was to just ignore it - or alternately to make one strip of your seeds pile (or whatever pile, so actually two stockpiles side by side) in the strip forbid containers of any kind - set a flow from the container stockpile into the non-container stockpile.

I created a new fortress and am seeing the seed thing again. Seems stupid to me that they can’t share a huge barrell of seeds or whatever the issue is. I keep getting the same message even though I have more plump spawn seeds then anything else. Only happens with plump spawn as well, I’ve noticed.

I really wish he would fix this. I’ve tried several times to get a working military going and it has ended up with a small party of six or so goblins running roughshod over my 15+ dwarf craptastic military every time. I can work around crazy interfaces but restarting over and over because I can’t get them to do anything besides give each other dodging lessons just pisses me off.

How do you uh undress the goblins so you can beat on them.

Yeah I think I am done for a bit again. Couple things that annoy me:

Stockpile hauling interruptus: once my fort booms getting this message all the time and it is impacting my ability to feed my fort etc.

Military what an embarrassing mess. Training for 6 seasons hardly improved their skills.

Finding a site with magma not 50z levels below the surface that isn’t a map with huge extreme cliffs.

That last point is a good one Wolff.
Another reason I got very tired of my game, besides the military issues, was the fact that I had 75 levels downwards to reach magma and no coal.
Having to rely on burning trees basically prevents any sort of automated metal industry.
Why can’t you just import coal? I tried to “order” some, but all I got was a couple of (literally a couple, as in two) bitumenous coal blocks, which appearently you cannot use for smelting.
A simpler solution still would be to just list coal seperately when embarking (there’s probably third-party tools to do this), but no such luck.

I played three sites for a reasonable amount of time, one had basically only coal, one had no coal at all and one had loads of coal and loads of gold.
Unfortunately, the latter ended prematurely due to a massive zombie siege (assault would be a better word) maybe three years in, before my defenses were ready anyway.
It didn’t help at all that I had JUST gold, and you can’t make armor or weapons in this game from gold…

rezaf

I have a pretty decent fortress going but I cannot figure out how to train wardogs. The wiki says something about creating an animal training activity zone but I don’t see that anywhere in the menu.

Otherwise things aren’t going too bad. I have 85 dwarfs, a decent gem encrusting industry going, and plenty of plant food production going on. Only meat needs to be imported since I haven’t figured that out.

Animal training is pretty simple, the zone is on the same menu other zones such as the pasture or the garbage dump are on (hotkey is i, if I remember correctly). Then you pick the animal from the status/animals window.
I was only able to do it with dogs because I never got access to another war-trainable animal, but that’s how it works.

rezaf

You do know the orders menu right?
Order your dwarfs to burn 10 bars of coal (from wood)
Order your dwarfs to smelt 5 bars of [whatever metal]
Order your dwarfs to smelt 5 helmets.

Increase those numbers by 10 if you wish. But anyway, its a simple process, you just order those actions in less then 30 seconds and watch the dwarfs carry them out, no need for rock coal.

Actually, I never used this menu, but even so, the problem remains the same.
Thing is, wood is a scarce resource, and I often need it for the B stuff (barrels, beds, bins), so I have to keep giving manual wood-burning orders whenever I think I have enough wood lying around. That usually works, but is pretty much a chore.
And god forbid I’m under siege or for some reason no caravans arrive and/or I’m in an area with few trees.

rezaf

Danger rooms. Seriously, it’s actually kinda fun and your military will not up omg wtf pwn bbq good. They will end up pretty sweet, and fun, but still quite killable.

As for magma, I edit the world gen files and create a setting which has… like… 30 volcanoes per world and then it is relatively easy to find surface magma =)

I think my issue is that I never hit that “zen” state of dwarves management anymore. I am very comfortable with the interface but the underlying mechanics are just busted now. Instead of making high level decisions all the fun is sucked away by having to work around bugs or weird gameplay. Now instead of deciding to have a military - picking my dwarves and squads and having them develop - I need to make a bunch of squads of twos, keep an eye on their skill levels - build danger rooms for each etc. it is becoming an exercise in frustration. Add in the fact that finding a decent site is a multi hour exercise and I find myself just angry at the end of my game session.

I will prob give it another go tonight …hopefully it clicks again.

I’m still not seeing it. Maybe I’m dense. If I hit the “i” key (zones) I don’t see how you create any kind of zone there. Are you talking about the stockpile creation menu? Or the designations menu? I guess I need a walkthrough.

Assuming you’re playing with the default keys (iirc Lazy Newb for example changes some keys around):

You press i to enter the zones menu.
You navigate the cursor to where you want to place the zone (I tend to use a strip of land outside my main gate for animal training, but it probably can be anywhere, including indoors).
You press enter to start placing the zone.
You navigate the cursor to another point, for example 5 tiles down and 10 tiles right. (If you’re in the right mode, the tile where you started should be blinking.)
You press enter again and the zone will be placed.
Then you just highlight the zone by placing the cursor anywhere on it and press ‘t’ to use this zone for animal training.

Done.

Did that help?

rezaf

Now I remember why I haven’t been actually able to get myself to play DF in a few years but still read about it.

I’ll give that a try, but I may be starting over anyway. So I had a woodcutter take over my carpentry shop. He had everything he seemed to need, but went insane anyway. At this point he’s killed my entire four man military training all the time squad, three of the eight guys I pressed into immediate service after he did that, and at least four or five other dwarfs, including babies and children. It’s ridiculous.