Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Isn’t Google Play for apps? How/where do you find it? :)

I’ll expand out the whole name: Google Play Books. Appears as “Play Books” on my Android. :)

BTW good luck on actually getting the first settle location as specified in the book – the sticking point seems to be “has flux = yes”. I can get settle points with the rest of find filter selections, but if I put in has flux, it’s red X’s everywhere, on multiple worlds.

Yes, there is this obscure bug where if you have mineral frequency set to max flux dies off. Very annoying. The cure is to drop mineral frequency one level.

Also - do a succession game! They are super fun!

And alternative to a accession game (or at the same time) is to generate an interesting world and to then share it. Everyone starts their own game in the se world. First to lose shares their world save and the next to play uses the most current save. It is good fun as you can all explore legends mode together using legends viewer and over time history from one fort or adventurer play through will leak into future games.

And now you made Boing Boing as well, congratulations!

Heck! Thanks! I guess this is my 15 minutes? Unless I go through with my plan to start a nerd gun war with Australia.

If we want I have a very nice embark location, it’s got the ocean, a stream, trees, and decent minerals and flux.

I used the recommended embark settings from the book just to see what they played like.

Anyone else up for that? Say 4 days to do a year if you haven’t spoken up by then you get moved back. And maybe only 1 extension for those people who always seem to ask for more time and don’t do anything.

I would love to take part at some point, but I don’t feel like I know enough yet to do so competently. let me get one more fortress under my belt. Obviously post the progress here!

Finally picked the book up yesterday. I kept cursing myself for waiting, but it paid off with a nice discount this time.

I would also be interested in helping with the fort, but it will be a little while before I get everything loaded back up again and should probably get a bit further than I have in my previous forts before I try something like that. Maybe down the road sometime if I ever get caught up around the house this summer.

One cool thing that happened last night at dinner was I told my son about getting the book and he sounded like he was going to also read the book and try his hand at a fort. He had been interested in it for a while, but the book may finally influence him to try it :).

I am always up for a bloodline game or shared
Embark gives my fortressing a purpose

Someone do it - I would love to watch :)

Meanwhile, all this publicity has driven the book to rank 1,150-ish on Amazon for print books and 5,280 for Kindle books. I really wish I knew what that meant in terms of books sold! I think I should be really happy but I can’t tell until I hear from the publisher in a couple of weeks!

Oh, O’Reilly marketing people are offering a 50% off deal on the ebook today! http://shop.oreilly.com/category/deals/gaming.do?code=WKGAME&cmp=tw-npa-dotd-gaming-deal

Well, that got me to bite. After all, it was your tutorials that dragged me (and a couple of friends) down this mad path to begin with ;) Great work, Calistas!

Neatl! Another victi- customer!

Wow are danger rooms a huge boost (exploit) or what. More combat training in 5 minutes then than 3 seasons of traditional training. Like way more.

For those with premium accounts, Dave Snider from Giant Bomb will be live streaming some kind of Dwarf Fortress play tonight on the site.

I, JOHN MANY JARS, have bought Calistas’s e-book! For DWARF FORTRESS moves ever onward, such that even I must take measures to keep pace.

Is it just me or does this game not do a very good job of explaining what is going on sometimes? And an even poorer job of giving you an idea of what you should do?

I mean, its very frustrating when a cage trap captures a goblin thief but your military does not seem to know what to do with it even when you tell them to kill it. Or your fortress is littered with dozens and dozens of stones and you have plenty of designated stockpile space for them but meanwhile you have 20 idle dwarves who never seem motivated to go actually haul stone.

Nevermind the part where they decided to dismantle my trade depot when I wasn’t looking.

Dave Snider at Giant Bomb recently bought the book and they did a multi-hour members only live stream of him trying to play using what he’d learned from the text.

Yes… they are kinda OP… I almost wish there was a “legit” but tamed-down version one could use. They are risky, though, pets, babies, children, all can fall victim to the spears and then… tantrums. They do make running a military a lot more fun, though, as you are a little less worried for your doods when they run into combat, and watching fights is great fun!

You sir, are a good person! Note the mineral frequency bug - don’t set it to max, set it to one less or site finder bugs out :/

Oooh! Did he actually say he was learning off the book? I really hope so! I can’t watch to find out. That’s awesome if so!

Oh, as per the the tech forum thread, I’m thinking of making some short YouTube (probably) tutorials on “Advanced” topics such as a selection of dwarven engineering projects, advanced design ideas and thoughts, dwarf management ideas, etc. Would these be interesting? The idea is to be quite focused rather than “general DF tutorial X”. I’m not 100% sure someone hasn’t done this already…