Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

I think ultimately, yes. They have certainly familiarised a lot more people on the concept and basics - no direct control, flag areas to get stuff done, worker management, etc.

That and the continued explosion of online video content on YT and Twitch, etc. It’s not like there is a shortage of DF tutorials now, but with this launch, it’s going to explode even more and when combined with a version with mouse control and a (hopefully) much better menu system, it’s going to be an order of magnitude or two easier to scale that initial hurdle.

I’ll be surprised if DF ships with a tutorial worth a damn, but there is going to be a LOT of well known YT folk jumping all over this in the next few months, I am sure.

I do wonder how much the walkthrough I used will help with the Steam iteration. I haven’t watched any videos to see how much the interface has changed. I wonder if the old hotkeys will still work and do the same things they used to, for example. Still, the core simulation has to be there so the concepts should still be solid.

Can’t wait to fire it up, though. Hopefully will be no calls from work this weekend!

I own that book. Is it out of date? I’d imagine so.

I have no idea! I don’t think I have played much DF since about that time myself!

I was just chatting with my wife and she said she thought it unlocked at 10 am in the east here. Checking the store and there is now a price and you can add it to your cart. May be unlocked and open for play!

Haha. It’s funny seeing the 240MB size. I’m so used to GB for everything.

Hahaha. Yeah, they may as well have not bothered with that “tutorial.”

That bad huh? Welp, so much for going in blind lol

To be fair, I’m not playing it I just saw someone on Era post that and it tickled me so I was sharing. I’m watching a stream where I may win a copy of the game due to a fan art submission I made, so I don’t want to buy it until I see if my “dwarf” survives the game and is declared a winner (my pod is next, so it will be a bit before I find out, but I’m at work anyway).

And watching this guy play I’m learning a good bit and he’s just literally doing the Distant Worlds thing of letting it all play out while he watches and reads the event info - he’s letting the game tell him a story, and it seems worth playing just for this alone, tbh.

You can’t just casually mention your fan art and then not post it here!

And what you said has made me so damn excited. When I played RimWorld, I realized that I didn’t enjoy playing RimWorld that much. The idea of it being a virtual ant farm was far, far more appealing to me, but there was no way to do that. If I can set up DF as a virtual dwarfarium, that would be just fantastic!

Don’t click on ‘detailed mode’ during world gen - if you stare into the abyss, it stares into you.

Oh, sorry haha it was just a quick doodle while I was on a conference call to get a submission in. I didn’t even have a reference or anythihng.

First attempt at a 1,500 year world gen crashed around year 675.

Attempt #2 just crossed year 750.
(Attempt #2 crashed at year 880)

It’s going to take a while, but on the plus side I can turn off the heat in my office.

A conference call well spent!

Heh, doesn’t happen very often! :)

It’s on like Donkey Kong!

First impression:

Layers and layer scrolling is pretty cool, when you scroll to higher elevations, lower elevations become more opaque, so above the ground you can see down to the ground from a higher elevation.

I can zoom in and out!

This is my dwarf, if I survive to the last 3 standing I get a free copy of the game! :)

Makes me want to pay Tom to give me a title that reads “Accosted by worms.”

I really like the way these sprites look.

Here is the stream:

A very minor quibble but I wish it had nicer fonts.