Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

This is a brilliantly dorfy story. I’m glad to hear that Steam DF is fully working as intended. 12/10, would dorf again.

Wow, this picture gives me such strong flashbacks to the pre-Z-level days, when you would just dig to the East, crossing a lake river and lava river and then probably die. Though of course it isn’t in ASCII.

I know the new graphics and UI are a big improvement for many but… the resolution scaling in this is horrible. On my 4K screen everything just looks so soft and fuzzy, even it’s set up properly. I’m playing Case of the Golden Idol right now and I can tolerate (even enjoy!) sub pixel weirdness as an aesthetic choice but I don’t think this is intentional! To get around it, if anyone’s interested, I’ve windowed the game at 1280x720, put all the scaling to 100, then used Lossless Scaling to upscale it using nearest neighbour or integer (other scaling types are available) and, boom, nice sharp pixel art, as god intended.

‘Hey, look, a waterfall! Let’s cross it!’

True Urists. May their souls find rest.

The wiki says Legends Viewer is a 3rd party utility.

The font is a bit painful to read at 1440p, and there are a few UI layout issues that seem related. According to players on the Kitfox Discord, the TTF font support and OpenGL image scaling options are both gone.

Recent GPUs may have integer scaling support in the drivers for a similar workaround.

Anyone tried this on the Steam Deck yet?

Oh, fantastic! I didn’t even check!

Only had a chance to play for an hour, but it works! The highest rated community layout is pretty good. As expected, it’s definitely more playable on desktop, but it was playable enough for me. Might fall apart once things get complex though.

Boy, I feel like I could lose a lot of time with handheld Dwarf Fortress.

I would’ve lost whole summers to this thing if it’d been around when I was a kid.

Yeah and it’s really useful for exploring worlds. If you open a civilisation page in Legend Mode you just get a chronological list of events to scroll down. In Viewer each name has a hyperlink out to a page about that person and then from there if they fought someone famous you could click on that link and bounce to their page.

Legend Viewer let me find this, well, Legend… Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike - #3655 by Mr_Bismarck

It’d be great if a future SteamDF update could bring that functionality in because it makes reading the history so much more interactive and simple.

I believe he’s just letting you know why the Legend Viewer isn’t in the game - it never will be unless whoever made it gets it working with the new version.

This guy didn’t know what anthill he was jabbing his stick into.

119 pages and counting

A flame that burns that brightly, sadly doesn’t burn long enough. :)

That thread was mentioned in PC Gamer!

Maybe all these sales will encourage Toady to bring some of that functionality into the game’s default Legend Mode.

I used to joke that Toady would get to “right after he fixed the Military screen” and, by god, that screen almost works now!

Hmm, I don’t get this problem on my 4k monitor. I select ‘No’ for the option ‘scale interface to fit grid’, and in the ‘scale interface’ option I put it to maybe 180. Looks sharp to me.

Garnered himself a tidy little sum of steam points.

I gave him the Hot Take award.

Absolutely. And in the next session it went even worse. I had realized the errors in my leadership, memorialized the ghostly ranger in our halls to satisfy his anger and instructed the dwarves to continue building coffins and tombs, and thought better days were ahead.

The dwarves began to make merry with questing warriors from abroad in our new tavern out in the valley, worshipped in our new subterranean shines to the divine polished to nearly match the finery our leaders’ quarters, met in the new guildhalls below the storerooms, and almost all were happier than the dwarves in my previous playthrough many years ago ever were.

That’s when the werezebra arrived at the tavern and two of my dwarves were bitten before he fell. The halls of the fortress now ring only with the howls of many werezebras, werelemurs, and restless undead and are painted with the blood of the last stand of the dwarves who did not flee into the mountains.

I’m not convinced I fully understand the military panels. It seems harder than ever to get the dwarves to go get equipped in an emergency. My necromancer mayor / commander / master crafter didn’t fare too well against rising werecreatures without his shield and mace since he’d been refining his latest creations at the time.

A review I posted on Steam:

The game and it’s new UI still have a lot of rough edges, but all of the amazing detail and madness of Dwarf Fortress is still there and it’s easier than ever to use. If you’re new to this game, you may think stories like these are at most 50% mechanically happening in the game and the rest is embellishment and reading between the lines, but in Dwarf Fortress it’s probably 80-90% part of the simulation and in how you interact with its mechanics.

However, the UI does still have a lot of problems. It’s more of a halfway step from where DF was in the past to where it should be. I do hope they continue to make significant improvements to the user experience as they work on new engine features. Maybe the workshop mods will help out with the UI, but I haven’t looked into those yet.

If you’re new, you should take a look at some of the many videos or more detailed let’s play writeups out there to determine if this kind of arcane but amazing fantasy simulation is a good fit for you. Despite the many games inspired by Dwarf Fortress over the 15 years I’ve dabbled at different versions of this game, none of them are really the same kind of experience.

Steam Workshop support is already paying off.