Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Paper towels? Let the dogs lick it up?

Eventually the children did their chores, it was there a while though. Not that it mattered. Now the halls are covered in blood.

As any self-respecting dwarf’s halls should be!

I’ve run into this odd problem with my current fortress. They aren’t cutting down trees. Out of a population of 20, I currently have 5 set to do woodcutter labor, and even locked 3 of them so it should be their only task. I have 9 axes, and each of the laborers has one. They chopped some down when I embarked, but for a while now I haven’t been able to get them to do it. Maybe when they realize the booze is about to run out they will change their mind.

A bar and women’s clothing does sound appropriate. Maybe let them press wildflowers while they eat their lunch.

I have never played DF

I had this problem in one of my forts. Have you tried changing the tree cutting priority to 1 when you give the order? Also I can’t remember for sure but I think even Dwarves set to exclusively perform one job type will still haul and gather unless you forbid those through the All Dwarves Gather All Dwarves Haul commands.

I will give that a try tonight. Hopefully I figure it out, or these guys are toast. It has brought a lot of progress to a halt after a pretty decent start (for newb me), and I’m sure someone will be paying a visit in the near future. They’ve gone from 300+ drinks down to around 80, and are currently out of plump helmet spawn, because they haven’t been able to brew more drinks without empty barrels.

Q: After they consume the drink in a barrel, does it become an empty one again or does it go away? If the former I’ll have to see if I can stop them from snagging them for other purposes.

Edit: Apparently they aren’t consumed, so someone is either grabbing them for other uses or they aren’t finishing off barrels completely.

Bumped the priority to 1, but they haven’t started in yet. I solved the drink problem for the time being by making rock pots.

Edit: Mystery solved. Apparently the problem was I wasn’t zoomed down to ground level when I did the selection for trees to chop. So I guess they decided I only wanted them to cut off the top of the trees, but they couldn’t get up there, so they left it alone. Deleting the designations, and redoing them at ground level solved it. Now I need some ale. Figured it out just in time too. My population ballooned from 20 to around 50.

I did see that augmented steam is showing the low end of owners at 500k currently, so good for Tarn and Zach. Even with Steam taking their cut, and whatever Kitfox takes, it seems like they should still do pretty well.

What this thread needs–nay, deserves–is an AAR. Am I the person to provide it? Probably not! But here goes, nonetheless.

WANTED: Seven s̶u̶i̶c̶i̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ volunteers to found a new Mountainhome.
  Rewards: Limitless.
  Glory: Immeasurable.
  Destiny: Unparalleled.

(Safety not guaranteed.)

Also needed: suggestions for embark (or even worldgen) parameters.

I should volunteer Oade, my retired Dwarf Hunter from WoW. :)

That’s one!

So the population has continued to boom, with it up to about 130 now. I just noticed that all of my pastured animals are covered in dwarven wine. I’m not sure what is going on there. Also my 2 best miners apparently became lovers.

Need to start marinating early for the best flavor.

Squad question: Do visitors that join the fortress for soldiering, and have equipment use the equipment they arrived with? I have a few people that joined and they arrived with military equipment, but on the squad equip screen they show as red for the different items. I assume that is because they need human equipment, but they have equipment with them in their items so not sure what needs to be done if anything.

I put one human Bowman in our archer squad and he used his bow, until he ran out of arrows. But now I can’t get any archers to re-equip arrows or bolts, so… shrug.

My hunters took down a herd of elephants last night, but they’ve left 2 of the corpses. I think in both cases they were interrupted by another elephant when they started the ‘return kill’ task, so they dropped it and engaged the other elephant. Now I’m not sure how to get someone to grab those 2 elephants. I noticed it apparently has happened before as I found 2 elephant skeletons on the map along with a pile of bolts. They did get some of the elephants back to the butcher though, so they have a ton of meat.

Is it forbidden? Can you add a “butcher” task to the butcher workshop?

They weren’t forbidden. I’ll have to try adding a task to the butcher workshop next time it happens. Is there a non-tedious way to retrieve crossbow bolts that litter the map after hunting (I imagine it will happen with a battle as well)? There is standing order thing on one of the screens, I’d set it to not recover during a siege, so maybe it is a setting with that which is messed up. It would be nice if they would recover the bolts though without me needing to do it.

You can un-forbid items from the stocks screen. Not totally tedium-free, but a lot better than hunting around the map!

If you do want to do it from the map, you can draw a box with the unforbid command so it’s not so bad.