Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

What’s your problem with it?

If you go to the data\init folder and edit the init.txt file, you can change the resolution to 800x600 by switching windowed resolution and character set to that used by fullscreen mode. Haven’t done a lot of testing on it yet, though; it may break something.

Lacks the clarity of a more traditional Roguelike. Bunch of squiggly crap.

I’ll probably get over it once I’m properly into the game.

You can turn it off in the init file.

Wow. This game looks amazing. I played it for about an hour…

All I have to say is I would love a mouse cursor.

I havent even finished the world generation and I’m hooked :)

Amusingly he’s using opengl to display the ascii…

Outpost #1: lost in the second winter to starvation and ensuing madness. Maybe we spent too much time detailing the stonework, and not enough time on food.

Outpost #2: abandoned when the meeting hall collapsed and killed most of the dwarves. Now I know when to include support columns.

Outpost #3: doing well, yet grimly awaiting its fate.

This game has Yet Another Stupid Death, but for a whole city.

I’m still in the first year of my first fortress, in autumn. I’m running low on food, except for huge piles of seeds that I’m trying to get people to plant. Maybe I need to set it so they only plant. The winter’s going to be very ugly at this rate.

Isn’t a supply caravan supposed to show up just before winter?

Anyway, to plant seeds (I JUST read up on this in the in-game help), you need muddy ground. Best way to do that is set up floodgates between your plot and an underground river. One setup I saw suggested on the bay12 forums was:

(hmm how do you format text in this board to be equal space per character?)

#########
#. . . . ###R
F. . . . FFR R
#. . . . ###R
#########

where R is the river, F is the floodgates, and the room is the area to be flooded. You open the right floodgates, turn the ground muddy, close them, open the other to un-flood, and plant. I think. Haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Presenting: Some of the scariest letters in the English alphabet!

U, X, P, V, and of course, D

Well… they were scary when I played Rogue on the VAX, 20-odd years ago. :)

p was what I always kept a lookout for in Moria. Those spellcasters throwing curses and Scruffy Looking Hobbit stealing my spellbooks … REDRUM

I got to experience those damn Nethack nymphs the other day. Nothing like losing all your gear to set you into a suicidal rage. I think I died to a kitten.

All I remember from Nethack was genociding mind flayers and liches.

Angband, as I understand, has frightening gravity hounds (whatever the hell those are; I’m not there yet) and dracoliches.

Angband has LOTS of scary monsters. Some of them kill you in one attack, even if you are level 50 (highest level)…if you don’t have the right gear. Damnit, you guys are about to make me install ZangbandTK again…I’ve resisted for almost a year.

Yeah, the caravan just showed up, but I think that in the middle of trying to figure out the interface, I got too little for the silver bar, so I didn’t get as much food as I could have.

Thanks for the diagram, but I’ve actually planted some, but there is a lot of unused space. For a few of them, I can’t get anybody to actually build the plot. Also, I think it might be too late in the season to plant any more, so we’ll see.

Yes, Angbank, home of 1,000 resistances, and the detailed plotting of, “I’m at 3,287’, which means I need the resist foozle gear.”

Sharp makes it sound less workable than it really is. If you don’t run away from a Dracolich when you don’t have poison resistance, your desire to end your suffering should be respected. DNR.

This thing is awesome. I just had half my dwarves die when I struck the river, as well as half my workshops and a lot of other stuff I’d built getting washed away in the flood. Note to self: next time, when tunnelling deep, make a secondary passage back outside and build a channel along that path, to divert the water away from the living quarters. In the meantime, this one’s abandoned as a bad job.

What gets me is that I just realized I was doing something similar years ago with Nethack. I got to the point where I would set up special Bones levels as puzzle/challenge areas - in one, I noticed a dwarven king had excavated a sort of circular area out of the rock, with a few connections to neighboring rooms, and lots of boulders lying around; I killed him near the center, then noticed I could push the various boulders into place to create a sort of wall around him that meant it wasn’t possible to reach the body (and the dwarven mithril and pickaxe and other good stuff he’d had) unless one were to push precisely the right boulder into precisely the right spot, then move an entirely different boulder, and so on several times in succession, until at last the path to the corpse opened up. Moving just one boulder wrongly would permanently lock you out. Well, permanently until you found yourself a pickaxe or some disintegration magic and removed the boulders forcefully. Then I save/backup/restore, die, and had me a “Tomb of the Dwarven King” bones level, complete with rogue ghost wandering around.

Nice. Good bones levels are key to Nethack success - it wasn’t until I started playing on the nethack.alt.org server, which has the bones files of hundreds of other players, that I was able to ascend at all.

I gave this a try and I want to like it, but it seems like an RTS in acsii. And I’m not so into the micro-management particularly in asc-graphically. Plus, I find it annoying that I can’t just assign the dwarves to dig a tunnel of X dimensions, but have to keep designating which stone blocks to dig out.

The terrain and civilization generation systems are very intriguing though.

If you mean you’re designating the blocks one by one, then no, you don’t have to do that. When designating, hit enter, move the cursor (should leave a green + at the point you hit enter) until you’ve reached the opposite corner of the rectangle you want to designate, hit enter again. So if you want to designate a 3x10 tunnel to dig out … just do it.

My experience so far is that I don’t need to do much micromanagement. I set up my workshops, queue up some stuff to do, set some stockpiles, designate some areas to excavate, and let it run for a bit. The dwarves seem to be pretty good about finding things to do. Every now and then I need to set up some more tasks.