Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

Another suvival zombie game in an open world by Techland. This time published by WB. And with “Mirrors Edge” freerunning, it seems.

Published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, the first-person survival action game is set in a vast open world overrun with zombies.
During the day, the player must venture out of a safe zone where survivors group to search for supplies and loot survival packages that are dropped from airplanes. In a demo of the game shown to Polygon, the character free-runs — Mirror’s Edge-style — through the environments and can get anywhere in the game world on foot.
In the demo, the character encounters zombies during the day, but they are slow and aren’t particularly threatening. However, when the sun sets, the zombies become a greater threat and more kinds of zombies emerge from the darkness.
According to Techland’s Blazej Krakowiak: “The day is when you prepare for the night,” with the daytime game being more about scavenging and killing zombies, while at night it becomes a survival game.
The demo also showed off a crafting system similar to that of Dead Island’s, where players can pick up items from around the game world and craft new weapons. While the player has access to weapons like guns and ammo, he can also craft more obscure weapons like a chainsaw that pulses with electricity.
Dying Light is coming to current and next-gen consoles in 2014.

Survive the Night - During the day, players roam free and scavenge for supplies and weapons. But at night, the world undergoes a deadly transformation: the hunter becomes the hunted as the infected grow more aggressive and numerous, and something far more sinister awakens to stalk its prey.
Free Running Movement - Whether tracking prey or escaping predators, Dying Light lets players swiftly navigate the world by seamlessly leaping between buildings, grappling up walls and pouncing on unsuspecting enemies.
Welcome to the Quarantine - Dying Light is set in a vast open world, delivering expansive and varied environments, a wide variety of enemy classes and a hopeless tale of survival where resources are scarce and the infected are not the only threat.
Brutal Melee and Ranged Combat - get up-close using a variety of light and heavy weapons including knives, bats, axes, sledgehammers and more exotic weaponry or utilize guns and other firepower to take down enemies from a distance.
Choose Your Play Style - Dying Light features four playable characters that can be fully customized and upgraded to match any play style.
Craft Your Weapon - Why use a wrench when you can use a wrench wrapped in electrified barb wire? Dying Light’s sizeable crafting system enables players to create a slew of new, more potent weapons and equipment, as well as specialized ammunition.
Breathtaking Visuals and Gameplay - Dying Light is the first game powered by Chrome Engine 6, a cutting edge incarnation of Techland’s proprietary technology, designed from the ground up for the new console generation, DirectX 11 and other advanced solutions.

After playing Call of Juarez Gunslinger, I have high hopes for this. Techland seems to be getting better and better with each game they release (barring the samey-ness of Riptide).

I must be the only person on the planet who’s terribly bored and oversaturated with zombie stuff. Yawn.

rezaf

Not at all.

Loved Dead Island, great atmosphere and fantastic combat system. Merging Mirror’s Edge with Dead Island in actual open world environment on next gen specs could be utterly fantastic.

Not a lot of info on that sight… but oh boy, you can already pre-order whatever it is. No shame.

Gameplay

Looking pretty good to me.

pretty good? That looks absolutely terrifying!

Yep, definitively like an evolution of Dead Island. It even has some of the sounds and mechanics (crafting, given that electrified knife). Add freerunning and the day/night system and baam, Dying Light.

It looks very good, but around the middle of the second Dead Island I got bored of it, so I won’t hype myself a lot, right now.

Agreed. Much better than would’ve expected from Techland, even though ridiculous crafted weapon system (electricity-charged bowie knife) appears to have made cut.

Free-running isn’t worst addition that could be made to zombie action game…stealth seems much less interesting though.

They really are just kind of all over the place. Gunslinger was an absolutely fantastic game.

I’m with Turin; the formula for Dead Island grew a bit thin after you delved some serious hours into it. Still, it’s a good concept and Dying Light certainly looks interesting. That trailer is intriguing, if nothing else, so this has officially entered my “to-watch” list.

Absolutely despised Dead Island but I’ll probably pick this up because fuck me, I guess I don’t own enough video games yet. Also, digging the Mirror’s Edge thing they’re doing.

It seems to me an improved Dead Island, which is the expected from the them, so I don’t know what you expected. The city structure was like the ones in DI, the juggernaut zombie was in DI, the sometimes running, sometimes fighting zombies is also the same, the melee system is the same, etc.

Totally agree, loved Gunslinger and really enjoyed most of the first Dead Island (haven’t played the second). Pretty optimistic about Dying light.

It looks good, damnit. Will I fall again in their hands?

I wish Dayz reaches that level of polish in the zombies and in the melee system some day.

Wait what? Why Pogue, why? I admit the videos make it look good but this is the same studio which gave us the horrible Dead Island! We both hated it. So why are you feeling the pull toward this one?

They also made Call of Jaurez:Gunslinger which is one of the best games of the year.

I’d wait for more info because that looked very ‘vertical slicey’. Very linear, very scripted. Be surprised if much of that was actual game-play.

And it seemed to be missing any bloom effects…