Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

And I finished the main story, most of the side quests, I feel like I’ve had enough. Overall a fun game, but pretty forgettable story.

The entire final mission was just crap, I think I died about 15 times , thank goodness that they at least had autosave spots as you made your way to the top.

I think regardless of the conclusion that they’ve made an amazing achievement here.

I’ve found myself much more engaged in this than I really expected, and have to give huge amounts of credit to the developers for the experience.

What a great game this turned out to be.

I think the entire final mission was one of the best, what a great way to finish a parkour game, with a great pursuit. Of course the game messes it up putting a stupid QTE that I failed 5 times in the last segment. :/

At least they don’t make you re-do all the QTE bits from the start. :)

I liked the chase part, but I am horrible at quick jumping to a ledge to save my life. Also give me the damn grappling hook back, developers! I had it for probably 70% of the game, and yes its gloriously OP. So don’t take it away just to let me play the mission the exact way you want me to play it.

Thanks for the bridge zipline advice. I spotted that on my third or fourth venture up there for various things. I still think they could have made it a little more obvious, although on the other hand they do point out the zipline feature on some sidequest or another so I guess they did the minimum there.

Ooooh, thanks also for the warning about the grappling hook. When I got it over the weekend my first reaction was that resolved all of my Parkour issues. Then I realized that over-reliance on the grappling hook means you’ll grow rusty on basic parkour. You can only use the hook 2-3 times before you have to wait and let it recharge, or you may miss a ledge or something and find yourself unexpectedly on the ground and not as quick to react and make a decision about where to go next.

Regarding police vans, my own strategy is clear out an area with molotovs before going after a van. On the big bridge, this is accomplished by standing on buses and spending 5-10 minutes clearing each surrounding area. Virals will periodically show up and climb the bus after you, but they’re pretty easy to fight off. It feels a little cheesy, but you end up with loads and loads of loot.

For some reason, they chose to wait until Old Town to add impossible zombies to the other side of impossible doors (Bunker quest). I like the feature even if it’s just cosmetic/atmospheric.

And yeah, boo on bombers appearing in situations where you won’t have time to prepare, at least in the daylight. It’s an unfair and expensive fight. Until Old Town, I’d never taken issue with bomber appearances because I could always say to myself, “Well, you saw him coming, and [if it was after opening a door] you could have popped that door and backed the fuck off.” If you’re fighting 3-4 other zombies in a tight space and some bomber comes strolling into view and instantly detonates, that’s not cool. It forces me to consider adopting a much more careful play style that would change the feel of the game.

Two more observations after getting the grappling hook and moving to the Old Town:

Grappling hook means less time on the ground, which means less experience learning the terrain, which means an increase in difficulty should you find yourself without the use of your grappling hook while running around the Old Town area.

In Old Town, it’s much easier to “cheese” the system so that you can gain points during the night cycle that are much harder to gain during the day cycle. All you have to do is stand directly outside a safe zone and take off targets with rifle weapons, and then wait until your enemies start to come after you. When they get very close, jump into your safe zone and wait until they leave. Rinse, repeat, etc. This was a lot harder in The Slums.

I thought the main story was riddled with cliches and the last quest was atrocious, in that they built it around aspects of the game that made it great and terrible at the same time. The parkour system is mostly fantastic, but the jump and grasp onto a surface feature is too unforgiving and they depended on that, forcing players like myself to die over and over again in an effort to make it to the next autosave point. This, combined with the infrequent autosave points and further combined with the horrible, horrible QTE combat at the very end and further combined with the embarrassingly cliched/contrived story totally killed the core of the game for me. All that said, the “playground” part of the game remains, in my mind, fantastic and I hope to see more of it in the DLC. Picked up the first and am very curious to know more about the roadmap because there is a lot of potential.

Climbing was unforgiving? Wut?

I liked the fact it required a minimum of effort by the player: you not only had to press a key to jump, you also had to look at the point where you wanted to climb on. In other games platforming feel too automated, just press run + forward + jump (I’m looking at you Ubisoft games), this is a nice compromise.

Yeah, jump and hold jump, aim at the part you want to grab. The only time it’s failed for me is when I was obstructed by something really.

I guess it’s a little harder with a controller. I know it would be for me.

Hard mode, new weapons

They should have included that mode from the start :( Though it seems much harder, maybe too much?

I saw that a few days ago - this dropped the DAY AFTER I completed it. Bah! Well, an excuse to start a new game some day, perhaps. And yeah, I’m not touching hard mode with a 10’ stick - the base games difficulty was just about perfect for me, sometimes a little easy (towards the end) but still with some challenging spots that matched up with a forgiving checkpoint system. I’d probably have an anxiety attack playing at night and not being able to see volatiles on my radar!

Cool, and yeah, newgame+ type modes should probably be in at release by default these days, but I’m thankful they’re continuing to tack on features they maybe overlooked or couldn’t polish up in time for launch day.

In case someone hadn’t seen this , here is something about the immediate future of Dying Light

Hi there, fellow survivor!

We’ve just released a major update for Dying Light with new weapons, extra skins, the much-anticipated Hard Mode, and more. And this is just the beginning, as we’re working hard to make our game even bigger and better. If you want to know what the future holds for Dying Light, take a look at our teaser video and the open letter from Techland CEO below:

Dear Dying Light Fans,

I would like to take the time to send out a sincere thank you to all of you for your trust, support, and interest in Dying Light. Without you, our game could never have become such an incredible success. We are all extremely grateful and impressed by the passion and creativity you showed us. This is why we just released a new content update that each of you can enjoy completely for free. We also want to assure you this is just the start of what we will be bringing you in the Dying Light world.

We want to especially thank those who finished the game and are sending us their comments, suggestions, and recommendations. We are listening to all of them and are working to incorporate as much of your feedback as possible. You can already see a part of it in our ‘Hard Mode’ patch and this is just the beginning, as there is much more to come.

We want to hereby promise we will be actively supporting Dying Light with original content, such as new maps, modes, skills, quests, weapons, and much more. Everyone who downloaded the latest update, you can find a sneak peek of what is coming by accessing the main menu of the game. We have plenty of new content in the works, so try your hand at the new Hard Mode and stay tuned for more.

– Paweł Marchewka, Techland CEO

Looking forward to seeing what else they come up with. I’ve enjoyed and finished it but I’d love a good reason to reinstall and get back in there.

Oh wow, I hadn’t been paying attention to their sales. Well deserved success, I’d say, and a bit of a contrast to every other zombie game I’ve played recently. They all seem to be early access or some other pre-release state which can be a little frustrating at times.

I think videogames have just nailed world-creation, but their stories are stuck back in the… 32 bit era? I’d love places like Haran to have some purpose to them other than to be jumped over. (Or failing that more plentiful ammo.)

I too used to fear the night. Now, I hang out with volatiles like we’re friends.