Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

I’ll stick with offline.

So far the game is pretty cool. I take on some zombies when there aren’t too many so I can boost those skills. Sometimes it seems like they are generated pretty close by when you’re fighting. There were times I thought there were only 3 in the area, but more kept showing up. Jumping seems pretty natural and while the writing isn’t great, the early missions feel like you’re contributing to the survivor camp. Pretty atmospheric.

The game is very easy, in fact that’s the main flaw. They even patched later a hard mode.

Very easy? Man, I must play games differently from you! I Found this to be both difficult, intense and rather scary.

Yeah, what I’ve played of it doesn’t seem easy at all (of course, at 54 my twitch reflexes aren’t what they used to be). I got stuck on the Gazi mission (gonna have to YouTube that).

Dying Light is one of those games that I feel really nailed world-building and graphics to create the illusion of a much harder experience. If the game took place in a Tron-type world and the enemies were colored orbs, I think people would see how easy it is. Other than some sketchy scripted bits, the normal parkour and zombie-killing is really simple.

More than once, I’ve fallen into the trap of panicking because, you know, zombies!

Yikes, I just had a rough experience at that first night mission, trying to run in the dark with a whole bunch of baddies on my tail. I couldn’t see where I was going and used the flashlight some of the time to try and get my bearings. I’ve been focusing on missions and don’t know if I’m getting ahead of my level. I’m still swinging things like hammers which are having trouble killing guys. I don’t even try to kill one of those heavy hammer wielding dudes. So far it is tough enough on normal.

Climbing towers is a little cumbersome.

I’m almost 20% through the game and haven’t come across a gun of any kind. Should I have by now? I’m in a school where some dudes looked like they were heavily armed and think I an underpowered for this.

My focus has been on the main mission and side missions I get from other people. If in my travels I come across something that looks like it can be entered I may go in a building here and there. Should I be doing more complete exploration? If I hear someone calling out or in trouble I usually go see what they want too, unless I’m in a hurry to get somewhere - mainly if night is approaching.

Guns are fairly few and far between early on, yes. That’s normal. You’ll come across them naturally at some point, through you can try and find some earlier I think. There’s one early gun related quest line you’ll probably see.

More complete exploration won’t do anything much extra for you, apart from the fact it’s an interesting place to look around. I think the various quests do a pretty fair job of sending you all over. Especially the plants :/

I was too scared to go out at night though :) Looking forward to the expansion.

Find a police van, you might get lucky. :p

I have had some hairy ‘run for your life’ moments at night. It gets pretty tense when you can see a whole lot of the guys on the mini map with their red cones. There have been times when I was just running blindly in the dark, not able to see much of anything. When I have a choice I take a slower, more deliberate method.

That first method was me for the whole game :)

Wow, the mission to get a sample of a bolter was intense. 28% done with the story. My favorite attack is stunning zombies by jumping off of their heads and then slicing and dicing. The combat is a little chaotic for me to really think too highly of it. It isn’t bad, but I feel like I’m flailing around. A target lock may help. I’m doing OK I think, but it feels a bit sloppy or something.

I’m not very good at the parkour. I tried a couple of the trials and couldn’t even finish by the time limit. I got close on a medium difficulty one, but failed.

This may be my 2nd favorite zombie themed game, after The Last of Us. I don’t like how the player doesn’t have a say in the story in Dying Light. I don’t like the decisions my character makes. The missions do have a good feel to them. Even the fetch us some crayons mission. It just feels like everyone is trying to pull together and live a normal life.

I love the combat and movement so much, but mainly because they really nailed down the feel of it. It’s very hard to get full body, first person perspective stuff feeling good and Dying Light really does an incredible job of that.

But as someone who really appreciates that, I can understand that not everyone is really intuitively comfortable with it, but man… It’s so good.

I am crossing my fingers that they can follow up on this with something equally awesome. I’ve been a fan of theirs since Chrome (I think that was the name? FPS shooter on xp), and they’ve come a long way.

I think I played and liked Chrome too but games from that era are blurring together for me now. I wonder why DL’s expansion has no release date yet. Seems like it should a pretty predictable project from the development side and no-one was pushing them to announce it when they did.

Got to about the 50% mark of the story and I think I like the new scenery. I had some more really intense moments - I was getting some turpentine and some chemical from the warehouse and wasn’t keeping track of time. Next thing I new night was approaching and I still had more stuff to get. I couldn’t find one of the items. I didn’t want to leave and come back in the daytime so I pressed on. I had killed many of the zombies, but there were some stragglers. 2 or 3 of those nighttime baddies entered the warehouse so it was a game of cat and mouse. I was still trying to locate the items. AFter some close calls, I decided to just hide in a train car and wait it out. I was so happy when morning came.

I also recently got the grappling hook and my newest ability will let me attack zombies when I’m camouflaged as one of them. That should make things a little more manageable.

Some of the cheesy dialog is actually amusing. I’m pretty much enjoying all aspects of the game. I’ve got about 25+ hours into it. Let me add my name to the list of people who didn’t like Dead Island, but does like Dying Light. So glad I got it.

Cheesy dialogue was amusing, the main guy even sounded like he barely believes it himself lol. I loved how dismissive he was half the time.

This is one of the few games that I like it more the more I play it. Combat gets better as you get more skills - jump daze, camouflage, silent takedown, improved camouflage. I still wish that I could influence the story, but I like it more too. Like Bateau says, the main character does a good job at selling the absurdity of some of the situations.

I wasn’t happy when they took away a useful tool during a late game mission and I also wasn’t happy when I was forced to clear a room packed with zombies even though I crossed it by using my camouflage. I’m 80% plus done now and will be wrapping it up soon. This is one sale at Steam today. If you think you might like this game, then get it! Also give it time because it gets better as you go.

35 hours and I finished. I played MSG V and this back to back. How’s that for some solid gaming experience! A couple of the final quests dragged on for too long and required a long trek back through already traveled area. In the early game I expected I would get tired of this, and while I didn’t do all of the side quests I did do a lot of them. So glad I got the season pass for the DLC that will take place in the countryside.

I’m not even sure which game I enjoyed more, this or MGS V. MGS V gets the nod for the stealth and combat, but this was much better than expected. I liked the world of Dying Light much more and even though much of the dialog was cheesy, it was fun cheesy. The MGS V dialog was just bad - especially Miller. Dying Light didn’t have an annoying base to deal with either. Two really good games so I’m not complaining.

Its nice to hear you enjoy a game for once, Rob04 ;-) But I agree - Dying light was a really awesome surprise for me as well - just so well done!

Now I know you’re at least saying this partially in jest, but at least lately I’ve liked a lot of games :-) I’m usually pretty quick to point out what part of a game I didn’t like so I probably do say a lot of negative stuff. I think my problem is that I try too many games, which I’m trying to be better at.

Games I played this year that I liked (20 games): Dying Light, Metal Gear Solid V, Victor Vran, Big Pharma, State of Decay: Year One, Race the Sun, Hexcells Infinite, Invisible Inc., Dark Souls 2 :Scholar of the First Sin, Age of Wonders 3, Shadowrun Returns, Child of Light, The Talos Principle, Rogue Legacy, NFS: Shift, Spirits, Grid 2, Crysis 2, Infested Planet, Crowntakers

Games I played this year that are OK (19 games): Desktop Dungeons, Letter Quest: Grimm’s Journey, Gal Civ III, Path of Exile, Pac Man Museum, Cook Serve Delicious, Spelunky, Alien: Isolation, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Far Cry 3, Loren the Amazon Princess, Sonic All Star Racing, Morrowind, Sorcerer King, Cities: Skylines, Tropico 5, Strata, Poker night at the Inventory

Games I played this year that I don’t like (9 games): Lego Batman 2, Life is Strange, Shelter, Castle Crashers; Legend of Grimrock 2, Risen 3, Diablo 3, Star Ruler 2, Crusader Kings 2