E3 2012: Momentous or Meh?

That would be good enough for me.

Is the “Infinity” in the Halo 4 trailer the same as that from the Marathon games?

Uh, having a really hard time getting excited of Halo. I mean, it doesn’t really look much different compared to the previous three games.

Huh – one browser for all entertainment content across all of your entertainment providers. Which means, of course, we wouldn’t have to deal with that crappy interface from Netflix.

Does Nike+ Kinect Training support the gamepad? I don’t like moving at all but this looks fun.

This announcement pisses me off. The reason? I worked for a fitness company in 1999 that networks exercise equipment. In 1999, I had an idea for exertainment, creating a layer of social networking and competition over the vast amounts of data we were receiving. I worked with a team of 2 other people and we created a small demo where we ran through the world of Asheron’s Call on a treadmill.

Of course, the CEO shot me down. There was no market for it.

So it seems Nintendo has come full circle with their controller.

After Wii “there are too many buttons on controllers” the new Wii U gamepad has now as many buttons as a Dual Shock 3 again. It even has the click stick-buttons (L3/R3)!

Not to mention the “pro” controller but there was one for Wii, as well.

To be fair, at 1999’s internet speeds, internet availability, electronics power/potency/efficiency levels, and technology acceptance/uptake levels, there probably wasn’t a market for it. At least not a sizable one :(

I don’t mind a mindless shooter campaign if it has a decent challenge. But Black Ops had the cheapest fucken AI I’d seen in a long time and so that’s not the same thing.
Did anybody catch if they’re addressing this?

Up next Electronic Arts! 15 minutes!

I’m thinking Battle Medal of Honorfield, some more FIFA and Madden, Need for Speed, and more motion controls than you can stand!

I’m sure the new SimCity will be in there…

Dead of Lost Planet Space

So yeah, as much as I love the snark, what do people actually want to see at these press conferences? New footage for non-sequel games? Fewer unrealistically contrived demos? Fewer commercial-like presentations? Less emphasis on non-game-related stuff?

What about presenters? It’s easy to laugh at the hilariously inappropriate choice of presenters, but who should be speaking at these things?

It’s been so long since I’ve seen an effective press conference that I’ve kind of forgotten what they look like.

A little bit of originality would go a long way. Personally, I’d like to see more Sim-like games, but I know that wouldn’t appeal enough to the masses.

I want to see how out of touch they are. I am continuously being surprised.

Indeed.
I thought it was a joke controller to begin with.

No worries, i’m sure the PEEPS that Nintendo are aiming this for will like it.

Only thing I was ever exited about from the E3 conferences was when Hideo Kojima had new MGS teasers.

I think we still need to see if there’s a market for it. I watched that and thought it looked like something I wouldn’t want to do since I don’t have my Xbox kinect hooked up in my private dojo.

Next at bat? Ubisoft!

I’m excited. Beyond the normal Assassins Creed and Ghost Cell Patriots Shooty games previews, Ubi always shows up with some batshit insane demo. Remember that laser tag knockoff? So entertainingly stupid.

Well they will have more of Splinter Cell: Modern Warfare which is painful to watch as someone who loved the first 3 Sam Fisher games.

I suppose I’m not alone when I mention that, these days, I would rather see a Kickstarter E3. Just all the Kickstarter peeps showing demos of their PoCs, alphas, WIPs, and what not. And lots of fuckin beer. I would pay cash monies to drink beer with the likes of the some of the Kickstarter crews.