E3 Game critics awards

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/win.html

More like MOTS-sequel awards, with Nintendo being the notable exception. And no, I’m not about to rant about Nintendo’s greatness. I just find it sad that this is supposedly the best the game industry has to offer.

How about looking beyond the titles and having a gander at the gameplay? SC3 looks awesome. The way the co-op is going to work seriously makes me drool with anticipation.

I thought Greg Kasavin was a big enough fighting game fan to distinguish between the Fighting and Wrestling genres.

Oh well. I mostly agree with Kalle.

I noticed strategy games was the only category with less than five nominees.

From what I’ve read, Def Jam Vendetta 2 apparently leans much more towards “fighting” than “wrestling”.

Let’s see, better graphics, refined game play, what else? It’s a sequel, it will probably be a good sequel, but I don’t get all ecstatic over a game that follows the good sequel formula to the letter.

You could of course be talking about a completely different Splinter Cell 3, that will have no resemblance to Splinter Cell1&2 (not that I ever recall SP2 being released, but whatever), that actually is innovative in a “new” sense instead of the “rehash-and-refine” sense, but then we’d be entering the realm of parallel universes and super-heroes and mutants and whatnot.

And even if Splinter Cell 3 should happen to be the metaphysiocal “3d” sequel in a series of 2d games and I’d have to eat my comments, that still leaves you with the rest of a dull, uniteresting and repetitive best-of list to defend.

So what about Halo 2? Burnout 3? LOTR:whatever? The Sims 2? What spectacular gameplay advances will we see in these games that breaks them out of the franchise/sequel MOTS morass?

The next Def Jam will be a fighting game.

Who says these awards are supposed to be about new concepts? How about taking a good game and refining it into a great game? Halo 2 looks to add some much needed and top notch Live gameplay. The LotR games is an RTS and not a sequel to the 3rd person action games (which were pretty damn good, at least TTT and RotK). Hey, if you want, just start an award for original concepts and IPs only. It’ll be a pretty small list.

That being said, sometimes MOTS is just MOTS (i.e. Painkiller for me) and sometimes it’s a step forward (SC3).

Who says these awards are supposed to be about new concepts? How about taking a good game and refining it into a great game? Halo 2 looks to add some much needed and top notch Live gameplay. The LotR games is an RTS and not a sequel to the 3rd person action games (which were pretty damn good, at least TTT and RotK). Hey, if you want, just start an award for original concepts and IPs only. It’ll be a pretty small list.

That being said, sometimes MOTS is just MOTS (i.e. Painkiller for me) and sometimes it’s a step forward (SC3).[/quote]

You’re so weird.

Re: Def Jam 2: I did not know that. I withdraw my comments about Greg K.

The LoTR game is indeed MOTS. I give you a LoTR RTS released in '03.

Halo 2 adds internet multiplayer of all things. That’s like the perfect platonic idea of MOTS revealing itself to spell Halo 2 in shadowplay on a cave wall in front of gamers everywhere. If I had the time and energy I’d just dig up the old PA cartoon of the very dead and very beaten horse.

Ugh.

The tenth anniversary of E3 was overflowing with impressive new videogames.

No it wasn’t.

That being said, sometimes MOTS is just MOTS (i.e. Painkiller for me) and sometimes it’s a step forward (SC3).[/quote]

Even the magazines(console and PC) have all talked about the MOTS vein thats been really prevelent these last few years. Its not something new Dave despite the PR hype you want us to get sucked up into.

You cynic. You’re just standing in the way of quality journalism like the “Best of E3 Awards.” It’s hard-hitting stuff to say, “E3 was overflowing with impressive new videogames.”

Actually, E3 was full of pretty good games, just no obvious standout that wasn’t shown previously.

All this complaining about sequels (Games with numbers in their titles! Shocking!), and not one mention of the hilarity of the Best In Show winner?

At least they’re continuing the tradition of giving top honors to something that nobody got to play.

The E3 judges got whisked away to supar sekret showings–some even before or after E3 itself–of a lot of games and, presumably, the PSP.

I would have, but that joke was funny enough on its own.

“Donky Kong Jungle Beat?” I’ll stick with the MOTS, thanks.

The child in you is dead.