E3 Game critics awards

The child in you is dead.[/quote]
All that MOTS probably bored it to death. If only his inner child could have held out long enough to witness a brand new rain effect!

Ah, yes. But this one is being developed by the same demi-gods of game design that gave us the C&C series.

The inner child and outer children in me can’t wait for Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga! N’Gai knows what’s up!

Speaking of MOTS… :roll:

[quote=“Kalle”]

Speaking of MOTS… :roll:[/quote]

They sure has milked that franchise, yes. But in that process we got classics like RA and RA2. And they resurected the C&C name with Generals, with great results. And they got us Zero Hour, which surely wasn’t MOTS.
As it is, MOTS is a wee bit misleading since it implies nothing substantial has changed. I felt that RA2 was a big change from C6C and RA. And I think that SC2 was innovative in how it handeled multiplayer. SC3 now promises to add coop. I personally think that NOLF2 showed how little the public cares about coop, but when you get it on Live maybe it will be a success. Coop is not MOTS in the SC series.

Halo 2 doesn’t seem to deliver anytin but refined gameplay and Live multiplayer, but Halo is what Half Life once was. Everybody wants MOTS. It’s really not fair to blame Bungie for packing Halo 2 with lots of MOTS with better grapics and multiplayer.

And the above about Halo applies to Sims 2 as well. The money machine known as “The Sims” is something EA won’t take risks with. That it would be a sequel was given. That it would be MOTS with better grapics and refined gameplay was also given. Not really surprising and most likely what the fans want.

The E3 judges got whisked away to supar sekret showings–some even before or after E3 itself–of a lot of games and, presumably, the PSP.[/quote]

Adam is an E3 judge, and as far as I know he was not shown any playable PSP games.

The E3 judges got whisked away to supar sekret showings–some even before or after E3 itself–of a lot of games and, presumably, the PSP.[/quote]

Adam is an E3 judge, and as far as I know he was not shown any playable PSP games.[/quote]

You fool! Didn’t you see the footage at the press conference? All of those games are playable!

[size=1]on emulators…[/size]

Wow, and I thought I was cynical. Are there any games that the general Qt3 audience is excited about?

One can’t be excited by games that are MOTS?

You cynic. You’re just standing in the way of quality journalism like the “Best of E3 Awards.” It’s hard-hitting stuff to say, “E3 was overflowing with impressive new videogames.”

Actually, E3 was full of pretty good games, just no obvious standout that wasn’t shown previously.[/quote]

It’s always full of pretty good games. The game industry is very good at making pretty good games. It’s just that relative to past E3s, this one wasn’t as interesting.

I think there’s a marked difference between looking forward to a MOTS game and giving it an award that implies it’s something special.

I mean, I can understand why hundreds of thousands of people would definitely look forward to each new episode of Friends before it ended, but you would have a harder time getting me to understand why it should be awarded “Best comedy of the year”.

Obviously it’s understood here that you’re saying “In my opinion”, right? This isn’t some kind of blanket statement. Because seriously, if you think this E3 wasn’t very interesting and you think that’s how everyone else should view it or something, I think the industry is simply leaving you behind.

–Dave

I think there’s a marked difference between looking forward to a MOTS game and giving it an award that implies it’s something special.

I mean, I can understand why hundreds of thousands of people would definitely look forward to each new episode of Friends before it ended, but you would have a harder time getting me to understand why it should be awarded “Best comedy of the year”.[/quote]

I certainly agree; however, when there’s nothing really new, stunning and exciting out there, options are limited. Anyway, my point was just that one can be excited by upcoming releases, while still being worried by their lack of innovation and their sameness.

What does that mean? Is the industry not “leaving him behind” if it’s just his personal opinion, or what?

One can’t be excited by games that are MOTS?[/quote]

Sure, but that isn’t the general tone I am getting here.

One shouldn’t be excited by MOTS, though you shouldn’t dismiss it outright either. Execution is more important than innovation and all, and I’d rather have quality MOTS than bad innovation.

But I have a hard time mustering excitement over something I’ve played a zillion times before, though this doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy the final product.

I enjoy MOTS, but it doesn’t make me excited, does that make sense? MOTS doesn’t give you that feeling of discovering a new world. MOTS is like a return to a theme park where you’ve ridden all the rides, but now they’ve made them go faster. It’s still fun, but the initial thrill is gone.

Obviously it’s understood here that you’re saying “In my opinion”, right? This isn’t some kind of blanket statement. Because seriously, if you think this E3 wasn’t very interesting and you think that’s how everyone else should view it or something, I think the industry is simply leaving you behind.

–Dave[/quote]

Dave, it simply wasn’t a very interesting E3, especially on the PC side. Of course that’s my opinion. Can anything like that ever be anything but an opinion? From now on you have my permission to mentally tag an “IMO” to everything I write that sounds like it might be an opinion.

I’m not exactly crying in the wilderness here, either. I’ve seen several E3 articles that have commented on this past E3 being less exciting than in years past.

It’s a given that there’s always interesting stuff at the show, if for no other reason than there are new games there.

There were a few games that caught my interest from the E3 coverage I read, but DaveC, I have to admit the one I anticipate most is Dragon Age. So even though it’s a physical impossibility, I want you to tell the boys on the board that the boys downtown demand that DA be released this summer.

Hey, if you can make a time machine consider it done ;)