E3 Game critics awards

You know Mysteries Of The Sith was a pretty good addon.

For me -

Lionheads “The Movies” was the PC game of show.

Strategy game of show was a toss up between the WH40K rts and Rome Total War

You mean Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith. MotS indeed!

• Alan

The Movies looked neat. I just don’t know how long I’d enjoy making movie trailers. I could see myself making a few and then being done with the game – and yes, I know there’s a whole strategic layer there too.

I also don’t want to see other people’s trailers any more than I want to hear other people tell me about the dream they had last night.

I wonder if The Movies will make it to avoid the Theme Park-syndrome. Being totally great and addicting for 2-3 days, but after you’ve seen and developed everything the motivation to go on drops significantly. (At least that’s how it was to me.)

Heh, having never played Theme Park, I always called that the “Black And White Syndrome”.

Hmm, I’m noticing a trend here…

Well, in Theme Park you don’t get to build a cool roller coaster and then the game spends the other 90% of its time denying you access to it. B&W, I’m looking at you. Oh yeah, and at the end, your roller coaster isn’t cursed with incredible shrinking disease.

I’ll make the prediction that The Movies will really suck. It seems like it might be an interesting premise, but it also (from what limited information I’ve seen) looks like it could get really boring really fast. The game seems hooked on a gimmick that just doesn’t seem like it could work as a long term game.

I’m not so sure.

There are a lot of people who just like the creative part of gaming. Look at all the sites that were/are devoted to the stuff they made for their Sims. The Movies has a chance to attract that same crowd. You might not be interested in watching somebody else’s movie (even though we all watch homemade flash movies or shockwave animations every weeK) but there is probably an audience for this kind of stuff.

A lot of the homemade clips, of course, will simply be copies or rip-offs of movies people already know and like. But you can bet that there will be “awards” sites for people’s work within weeks of the release. I’m not sure if The Movies will have the staying power of The Sims, but the ability to share your work means that it has greater potential for a large internet community than Black & White ever had.

Troy

Heh, having never played Theme Park, I always called that the “Black And White Syndrome”.

Hmm, I’m noticing a trend here…[/quote]

You know its weird but thats what I find myself looking forward to in single player games nowadays. A couple of days sweet entertainment followed by a “no regrets” closure until the next iteration of the series.

Hmm, I’m noticing a trend here…[/quote]

You know its weird but thats what I find myself looking forward to in single player games nowadays. A couple of days sweet entertainment followed by a “no regrets” closure until the next iteration of the series.[/quote]

It’s interesting that you say that. I’ve been thinking about MMOs and how players are always saying they want to have a dynamic affect on the world. Players say they want this because this is what single player games have, and MMOs feel like something’s missing.

I’m taking awhile to get to my point, but what I think MMO players are really missing isn’t the ability to affect the game world, but simply that ending that single player games have. I’m convinced that if you make an MMO that’s really dynamic and lets players affect a lot of things, after a couple of months that will be old hat to the players and they’ll still feel like something’s missing – that strange malaise that grips MMO players will come back.

It’s that closure, that feeling of satisfaction knowing you’re done. MMOs may never be able to have that. The only thing I can think of would be have an MMO that had a defined beginning, middle, and end, and then restarted its gameworld every few months.

I think you are right.

Interestingly action persistent games like WW2OL or PSide pull this off a little better than virtual worlds I think.