E3 Season 2021: Virtual shows and trailers

After the first 3 letters I’m guessing the code is ITSINTHEGAME

DRINKYOURVOLATINE

E3 2022 is officially cancelled

Yeah saw that. That’s kind of a bummer.

Summer Game Fest and all the publisher showcases were a good substitute last year, so why not again this year?

We will have E3. It just won’t be called officially E3. But there will be conferences and trailers and all that. So, E3.

IGN is still planning to run a multi-day preview event:

Is everyone doing their own thing again this year?

That kinda tracks.

1 Like

Yes, which is why I’m fairly pessimistic that E3 as an in-person event will ever come back. Even a really lavish video presentation that you post on the internet may cost $400k, but EA and the other big publishers were spending upwards of $7 or $8 million on E3 before 2020. It’s just too much money, especially now that we’ve done without it for three years.

I kinda suspect you’re right. Which is sort of a shame, but I get it.

Yeah, I’m well past the days of staying out all night at the parties, but I have missed the opportunity to catch up with the industry people I like in person. It’s such a shame that the ESA hasn’t figured out a way to downscale the cost of E3 commensurate with all the consolidation and other reasons there are fewer companies involved.

There’s probably some cost that would make it worth it.

Teenaged me would be so pissed at adult me that I blew four years and $160 grand getting this fucking print journalism degree to become a games writer and I never even went to E3 before it died.

E3 is the biggest show for the LA Convention Center, which is run by the city, so I imagine there is a lot of interest on LA’s side to resume the show. That’s a week of full usage of the entire convention center, along with all the hotel rooms and dining and cab/rideshares.

Yeah, I have to imagine it’s got a real GenCon-Indianapolis thing going on. GC is the single largest economic event in the city annually. I think it even outstripped the NCAA tournament? Or maybe was second that year. Recollection is hazy, and Googling would take me away from this wonderful theme.