EA Fight Night Round 3 coming to Xbox 360 in Q1 2006!

Ok, I know no one cares about boxing games on this board but this is big news for me. I thought at first that somehow only the PS3 would get the next generation boxing game which I thought was strange. The Fight Night games are about the best boxing games that I have played. I’m still playing the one that came out this year.

I pretty much buy a console just for the boxing games. Starting with the Intellivision (wow that goes back a ways) and ending with the PS2. I almost bought the Japanese version of the PS2 to play the import Victorious Boxers 2 but it just seemed like a pain in the ass. It sucks that they never made a US version like the first Victorious Boxers. Heh, I wonder if they are planning a third version for the PS3…

Ironically I can remember paying about $275 for an Intellivision back in high school when I made $3.35 an hour. The boxing cartiridge (a classic although no single player if you can believe that!) cost about $40. Almost 25 years later the newest console will cost $299 with a $60 cartridge. I can’t complain about that.

I saw the PS3 demo and it looked amazing–definitely next generation type stuff. I haven’t looked at any of the other 360 games but if there is something cool (I mostly like stuff where I get to shoot people) I might pick it up at launch. I doubt the price will go down by the first quarter anyway. As it is I’m getting sick of trying to keep my PC up to speed. The last batch of games (BF2, Doom 3, etc.) ran like ass on my machine. HL2 and Far Cry ran well enough but my poor 1.7g, 1gig, 5700LE is far from even the middle of the barrel.

fiend

Well I do want this game and oblivian. That means the x-box 360 would only cost me $278.20 with tax per game. Not bad.

That reminds me of the NEO-GEO days… well, except for the fact that the games ACTUALLY cost that much!

(errr, well, maybe that much - but damn they were expensive… Even given their sumptuous 2D graphics)…

No, they cost that much. Neo games were usually $299.99 or $349.99. Many of them retained that value though. The 360 of course will not.

–Dave

I love boxing games. Fight Night is the biggest reason why I’m happy I bought a PS2. It’s quite simply an experience that is impossibly to get on a PC.

But a new Fight Night won’t make me buy an xbox.

But a new Fight Night won’t make me buy an xbox.

Did you see the PS3 demo? Man if the whole game is as impressive as the demo I would get the 360 even if that was the only game I got. I took a look at some of the other videos and a few other games look interesting as well.
Call of Duty 2 looks nice–COD was one of my favs on the PC. I was also surprised to see that Quake 4 is coming out later this year–that kind of snuck up on me–I thought it was coming out next year. These two titles are also coming out for the PC but I doubt if they would work very well on my old rig.

I never got around to getting the original Xbox so I would like to also play Halo 2 if the 360 is going to be backward compatible. I loved Halo on my PC.

Fiend

If we’re just talking graphics, a new Fight Night won’t make me buy a new console. Boxing is not like Football, you don’t need a new roster for every season, and I’m not going to pay over 400$ just to see fancier bruises.

So far it seems like the console is targeted at graphics whores with a fuckton of money to spend, and I don’t fit in either category.

Here’s hoping they fix the ridiculously overpowered haymakers. Round 2 was still good, but I preferred the original for this reason alone. They seriously dragged the game down, especially against the hardest AI setting (since it could abuse haymakers in a way no human being could hope to).

If they don’t fix that, I will definitely pass.

Here’s hoping they fix the ridiculously overpowered haymakers. Round 2 was still good, but I preferred the original for this reason alone. They seriously dragged the game down, especially against the hardest AI setting (since it could abuse haymakers in a way no human being could hope to).

If they don’t fix that, I will definitely pass.

I agree. I don’t really care as much about the graphics as the gameplay. The haymakers were pretty silly because a fighter should get really tired using them. I’ve had matches where the AI will throw hundreds of them in a fight.

The AI did need to use the haymakers a lot since it was very vulnerable to counter punching. I still have a lot of fun playing though and I am confident that EA will be able to provide something cool with a new powerful system to work with.

What I would really like to see is a really beefed up career mode where you can also play as a manager and promoter. It would be cool to have a stable of fighters and train them or be like Don King and rip them off… :D

fiend