EA, Mythic, and "customer service"

This is why I have a policy of only playing MMOs and subscribing to them if they allow prepaid game cards.

You could have said the same thing about EVE at one time too. I have no idea what the subscription numbers are for these games, but if they are currently profitable and the developers are willing to invest the profits back into the game, they can grow.

From the small amount of insider experience I have here, I think part of the problem is the desire to be “fair”. CSR gets a lot of requests from people who are just plain cheating, and want items for free (ie, saying they lost something they never had). It takes a bit of work to separate out the cheaters from the people who actually had a legitimate problem, and individual CS people and managers err in a certain direction. So the first 4 csr people had probably just dealt with a bunch of cheaters that day and decided you were probably cheating, while the 5th guy decided you probably weren’t (requesting the same things 4 times in a row would also help indicate you weren’t cheating :P ).

I find both game designers and CSR people to be overly paranoid about people abusing their systems (because they feel ownership, and don’t want to be stolen from), and could really stand to be a bit more relaxed. Personally I think you should basically always give out the first few lost items to a player, and if they start to ask over and over for different items treat them like a possible cheater.