EA Sports PGA Tour Golf: Why I prefer this to 2K Golf

I have all the 2k golf games except the latest one, and they are very good I just can’t seem to get the putting at all, I admit as someone who plays golf I love the courses EA have available and all the majors etc.

I tried the EA game a little and after making my way through all the stuff you have to do to actually get on a course was having fun till my shot on the 2nd green rolled off into the grass on the back edge and the game made me take my shot from the viewpoint of 20 feet up on top of the TV tower my ball was close to. Looking straight down.

Scuzz, we played a lot of Jack 4 Online back in the day, on Kesmai Gamestorm/AOL. What a great game.

Edit to add:
Man, I miss Kesmai. Air Warrior, Multiplayer Battletech Solaris, Jack 4, Aliens Online, Legends of Kesmai. Many hours with my friends in those games.

Yeah I had that once too, you know you can change the views in game to have the overhead one as the default when teeing off, doesn’t work imo.

Yeah, I tried to figure out how to get a different view but I was stuck up in the tower lol!

Yeah me too

This got me to look up the list of courses. EA Sports PGA Tour’s 30 courses:

• Augusta National (Georgia, USA)
  • St Andrews (Old Course) (Scotland)
  • Pebble Beach (California, USA)
  • The Country Club (Massachusetts, USA)
  • Southern Hills (Oklahoma, USA)
  • TPC Sawgrass (Florida, USA)
  • Evian Resort (France)
  • Tara Iti (New Zealand)
  • TPC Scottsdale (Arizona, USA)
  • Teeth of the Dog (Dominican Republic)
  • TPC Southwind (Tennessee, USA)
  • TPC Boston (Massachusetts, USA)
  • Wilmington Country Club (Delaware, USA)
  • East Lake (Georgia, USA)
  • Whistling Straits (Wisconsin, USA)
  • The Ocean Course at Kiawah (South Carolina, USA)
  • Chambers Bay (Washington, USA)
  • Wolf Creek (Nevada, USA)
  • Liberty National (New Jersey, USA)
  • Bay Hill (Florida, USA)
  • Riviera Country Club (California, USA)
  • Harbour Town (South Carolina, USA)
  • Bandon Dunes (Oregon, USA)
  • Top of the Rock (Missouri, USA)
  • Banff Springs (Alberta, Canada)
  • Torrey Pines (California, USA)
  • Quail Hollow (North Carolina, USA)
  • PGA West (California, USA)
  • Wetlands (fantasy course)
  • Lighthouse Pointe (fantasy course)

So only 4 courses outside the USA. 6, if you count the Fantasy courses. The U.S. is pretty well covered though.

PGA Tour 2K23, meanwhile has the following 20 courses:

Atlantic Beach Country Club;
Bay Hill Golf Club & Lodge (Arnold Palmer Course);
Copperhead (Innisbrook);
Detroit Golf Club;
East Lake Golf Club;
Quail Hollow Club;
Riviera Country Club;
St George’s Golf and Country Club;
The Renaissance Club;
TPC Boston;
TPC Deere Run;
TPC Louisiana;
TPC River Highlands;
TPC San Antonio;
TPC Sawgrass;
TPC Scottsdale;
TPC Southwind;
TPC Summerlin;
TPC Twin Cities; and
Wilmington Country Club (South Course).

3 DLC courses:

• Pebble Beach Golf Club
  • Spyglass Hill
  • Torrey Pines North and South Courses

And a course designer, apparently, that lets you download other people’s designs.

I used to be enthused by the Riviera Country Club, but with Augusta’s on the other side, this is done and done… Excepting I don’t have the console to run it I fear!
I am all in on US courses. You got such a variety of clilmate, biomes, and so many incredible architects.
The only lacking thing would be the Old Course… Oh, there it is!

I just finished up my 10 hours of the Gamepass demo time and I’m sad it’s gone. Playing is definitely rewarded with a better feel for setting up my shot’s and executing. I got a couple eagles, a bunch of birds, but I don’t think I ever finished better than -1 for a round. In the beginning I was routinely hitting the stroke limit due to hitting the ball out of bounds or into hazards. I finally settled in to hitting most of my shots straight.

What difficulty did peopel end up setting on? As I said above I liked the simulation settings for shot difficulty, but I preferred to have accurate information for wind and elevation. I can see myself picking this up, but I’m not sure for $70. Maybe I’ll get the 2K game since it’s on sale.

Edit: The PGA Tour 2K23 has a free weekend on Steam

I play on a mixture of tour and professional, some stuff like wind and elevation you need guidance on as you cannot feel it. My best is -2 but it doe snot take much to turn an ok round in to a stinker just like real life

After playing a couple holes of the 2K golf game, I prefer the feel of EA Golf. The 2K swing meter feels a little hyper to me. It seems more forgiving too (not necessarily a bad thing).

I take that back. The 2K game is very difficult to get the tempo right. Going pretty fast still gets me ‘too slow’, and trying to speed it up is too fast. The window seems very finicky.

I find that 2K has a better swing feel (even though they are both basically the same) but EA is too lenient and I almost never mishit. However the greens on EA are far too unforgiving and what looks like a minor slope will carry a ball 20 feet farther than expected. Still, they are both pretty similar overall but surprisingly 2K has better golfer customization. But the swing glitch isn’t something I’ve found a fix for yet and that is kind of a dealkiller at this point, despite my slight preference for the 2K gameplay.

I hopefully will try the 2K golf again before the free weekend is up, but I just don’t like the pacing of the swing meter. I have no idea when the result is going to be too slow or too fast - it just seems arbitrary. It’s always feels like I’m doing it quickly.

When the 2K swing meter isn’t glitching/stopping 10% into my backswing I find it smoother than the EA one. Which I find slow and not in sync with my speed of moving the stick. But I can certainly see where a person would find 2K too arbitrary/unforgiving too. While they both use the same basic movement the conversion from physical movement of the stick to onscreen swing is pretty different between the two. At this point I’m leaning towards EA mostly due to the glitching in 2K even though 2K is on sale. Or maybe I’ll wait it out til EA is on sale or on UGP. I do enjoy having a golf game in my library to mess around with.

The 2K swing meter is definitely smoother and more responsive. The EA swing media kind of lags behind and you have to kind of anticipate when you should start your downswing and plan ahead. But after playing and getting used to the ea swing meter I find it’s easier to be consistent and anticipate how it’s going to behave. Still, I may pick up the 2K golf game while it’s cheap and then get the EA one when I could get it for cheaper.

The 2K Swing meter was kind of a nightmare here on the pad. Had to switch to the mouse, as it was impossible to even adjust my angle and power before shot without having to correct them all the time.

Then, when the tutorial was complete it crashed on the game’s menu. Again. and again.
I’ll pass.

I figured out a new way to swing that seems to work pretty well for me. I put the stick between my pointer and middle finger, a bit lower on the finger than the knuckle by the nail. I rest the controller on the desk and pull my arm back and then push it forward. I’m much more consistent than I was, but still need to improve. I rarely have a really bad shot this way where I’d have multiple pert round before.

One more thing I don’t like about 2K23, is that they set the right distance automatically for putts. I one putt way to much and rarely more than 2 putt. The player should have to figure out the right distance based on the green. There isn’t a setting to change this either.

I’ve started having a bit more fun with it now that I don’t suck on half my swings.

Got my 1st Hole In One. 267 yard Par 3 hole 17 at Whistling Straights. 12mph cross wind as well. Nailed it, got a heartbeat moment and in it dropped.

I tried the free preview weekend for 2K23, and I only got through the tutorial. The advanced shots took me forever, this one shot in particular. Anyway, now that I’ve tried that, maybe next weekend I can finally try EA Sports PGA Tour.

I find the game unplayable right now. Maybe that’s because I’m used to the 2K model, but it’s terrible for me, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I’ve turned everything to arcade so that everything is off that I can turn off. Have all the aides turned on until I can get used to the game. And the swing speed is a LOT slower than 2K, but I can get used to that. What I can’t are the actual shots. And really, putting and spin. I’ve played most of the EA golf games, so know how spin is supposed to work, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on the ball. And putting - if I put in a straight line (w/ the LS stick) and am over/under the pace by literally 0.1%, I miss the put badly. And that’s just pure crap. There shouldn’t be a pace meter for putts - or really any iron. I mean, with different shafts on drivers and whatnot, yes, your swing pace (fast/slow) makes a difference. But not for irons and putters. I just can’t figure it out, and it’s pissing me off.

Again, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Do I just need to struggle with this crap until I can upgrade my player/equipment/whatever? Are there any tutorials to help? Because there never seems to be any indication of being fast or slow w/ your swing until you’re done.