EA to begin digital distribution of PC games

Seems EA got tired of the small amount of shelf space given to their games at EB and Gamestop. The first product to be distributed this way will be the expansion pack for Battlefield 2:
https://account.ea.com/commerce/product-info.jsp?ipath=15&locale=en_US&sls=2&site=eaco&prodid=BF2-MAP&skin=bf2map&app=commerce

Second product :)

The Sims Holiday edition launches digital next Thursday before BF goes live.

It has begun.

stEAm?

Cool. Hopefully they’ll match the first week sale prices as well.

Is that an exclusive release? And does the game require online connectivity to play?

The beginning of the end of PC games! Domed!

in some ways I do like this new system. Frankly I spend 3 hours each week looking the stacks of cd’s going “now where in hell’s name did I put (insert game name here)?”

The only problem I have with digital dl’s is, if you lose the download you go thru hell trying to get a redownload. And dont get me started on the cluster fornication that is a bad download.

If you read their site, it works like steam. Therefore you don’t need to worry about losing your download or bad downloads, because the game is tied to your account. So if you need to redownload, it’ll let you.

If you read their site, it works like steam. Therefore you don’t need to worry about losing your download or bad downloads, because the game is tied to your account. So if you need to redownload, it’ll let you.

But this, this, this…is EA, man.

They’ll bollox it up somehow.

EA is quality entertainment assured.

What?

Eh?

Guys, it’s Liz. It wasn’t suppoused to make any sense.

I hope they back their catalog in for the patches, would really help when installing old games on a new pc.

How lame.

Selling the main game instead of an expansion that requires the main one was too intelligent?

Good that EA is challenging everything.

The beginning of the end of PC games! Domed![/quote]

Try the beginning of the end of console gaming.

While it is good that big players are getting into digital downloads for mainstream games, we should also remember that EA has the resources to be able get thier finger in every pie, just in case any of them really turn out to be the ‘next best thing’.

Seeing as how it costs the same to buy it on CD, and by buying it through their digital distribution DICE isn’t somehow getting more money, and in fact EA is getting more money because they don’t have to pay for physical costs (!!!) I think I’ll skip and buy the CD version instead.