Earfquake!

7.6 on the Costa Rican coast, looks like very near the beach resort areas around Ocotal and Tamarindo. I’ve been there several times, there might be some highrise hotels in bad trouble.

I have some friends in Granada (approx. 200 miles north) who said it felt pretty strong up there.

Why the hate for Costa Mesa? It’s actually pretty nice, close to beaches, gets plenty of beach breezes so it’s never stupid hot like the eastside of california. Centrally located as well, easy to take the 55 or the 405, or even the 73 if you’re into toll roads. I use to live in an apt right next to the concert hall (whose name I can’t remember), walking distance to South Coast mall.

Heck, even the stuff in Santa Ana that borders Costa Mesa is pretty nice. Granted once you get too deep into Santa Ana, it get’s a bit trashy.

Ug, that’s less than 40 miles from where I honeymooned last year in the smaller towns of Malpais and Playa Carmen. There aren’t high rises further south, but its definitely a poorer part of the country with less infrastructure. I hope for the best for them.

Big earthquake here in New England just now. 4.6 in Maine:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000d75b#summary

'Definitely the largest earthquake I’ve ever felt. I’m usually the one going “Feel what?” but this one shook the house in Southern New Hampshire.

We eat 4.6 for breakfast.

Until the inevitable 9.5 eats all of you.

My co-worker in NH felt it pretty good and described it as a good rolling earthquake.

— Alan

Best facebook page ever:

I wondered what the hell that was - I thought it was a plane breaking the sound barrier lol.

<-- Lives in NH, a long time ago lived in Japan with plenty earthquakes. This earthquake didn’t feel anything like those earthquakes :)

I felt it in NH! I thought it was my stupid neighbor slamming the front door downstairs at first, but then it sort of kept rumbling.

I missed the window to throw down lava font and grant area might. (heyoooo)

See - now that’s what I would call big! 100,000 times greater than NH “big”! Wimps. ;-)

A 4.5 isn’t an earthquake. It’s a Magic Fingers motel bed massage.

Well, to be honest, a lot depends on proximity. Having been 1 mile from the epicenter of a 4.something I could see the whole house flex with an uncharacteristically sharp jolt. None of this long rolling waves kind of fun. Put some long cracks into the stucco.

lol yeah I lived in a high-rise apartment complex in Tokyo as a kid, and earthquakes were nothing special.

Whoa, 7.7 off the western coast of Canada, near some obscure island. Minor Tsunami chance.

Hawaii now not taking any chances; evacuations have been called out for the shallow areas. They’re same some models are predicting one-meter heights; others 2+ meters. It may get kinda nasty in some places.

— Alan

Got friends coming over since we live up on the hillside. They have evacuated the leeward coast and supposed to hit at 1030. A little over an hour from now.

Obscure island? You sir have insulted us! Duel by pistols at sundown!

Seriously, though, pretty large island, but not densely populated. Didn’t feel a thing here, but I was pretty gassy…

7.3 earthquake some 200+km off the eastern coast of Japan, tsunami warnings issued…

My former roommate, now living in Tokyo, says, “this earthquake is NOT fun! Inside a 33 floor building, just feels like a rocking ship…”

— Alan