Earfquake!

And when you realize it only has checkpoint saves:

Just got a text from a friend down in SoCal that they just had a tumbler. Google says it’s a 5.3 2k east of La Habra.

---- happy I’m no longer living down there

Shaky here tonight. Wife felt a few small ones ~2-3 before the bigger 5.4 one shook the house for ~3-5 seconds. Another aftershock about 15m ago. All violent, jerking, shaking ones tonight - no nice rolling swells.

We totally felt that here in LA. Wacky rolling quake that seemed to last a long time. Wheeeeeeeeeee.

I’m not too far north of La Habra and it felt pretty decent sized. It did seem to go on for a long time but apparently that was a lesser aftershock.

Didn’t feel a dang thing. Nothing. Nada. Now, was that relieving stress on the San Andreas or adding to it?

Seems to be just an increased amount of activity up on the “ends” of the fault, which people have been thinking about for awhile, because there hadn’t been for awhile, and everything had been centered around the middle (around Lone Pine I believe), which is one of the most active places in California generally speaking. With the activity down in the LA area and the big one off of Eureka… either things are getting equalized or… it’s the beginning of a more active period.

— Alan

Lone Pine is along the 395, south of Bishop. It’s a long way from the San Andreas.

Yup, these still wake me up and freak me the fuck out.

Oh hmm which town was I thinking of. Crap. Can’t find it. But you’re right that makes no sense.

Checking the wiki entry, as it turns out the town was destroyed by an earthquake in the 19th century.

And there’s rumors of a Mountain Devil! Now I need to go back.

— Alan

Vin Scully’s play-by-play of the earthquake from the Dodgers game last night is pretty good. About as calm and collected as could be (you can also hear the reaction of the crowd).

— Alan

I have driven through Lone Pine a number of times over the years (Mammoth, back way into Yosemite) - it is indeed the site of a huge earthquake in the 1870s (they have signs attesting to it, which is how I know).

The whole eastern side of the Sierra’s is pretty active seismically, from Ridgecrest in the south past Mono Lake in the north. Quakes, volcanism, all sorts of interesting stuff that I’ve explored on foot and via the web. But it’s not part of the San Andreas fault system.

Are you thinking of Parkfield? I think that’s the epicenter of San Andreas studies – pardon the pun.

Yeah I’ve driven through it once. Have always been curious what 395 is like in the winter through that area.

Aleck–think you’re right, Parkfield sounds familiar.

— Alan

Lived down here in SoCol for about 3 years now with only minor shakes. The shaker on Friday was the biggest I’ve felt. At first it felt like one of the ones we usually get (feels like a truck rolling past), but when it kept going and getting stronger, we took the party to the doorway to wait it out. Felt like it lasted a full minute, but reports were saying 15 - 20 second. Amazing how much longer things feel when you’re freaking out a little on the inside. :)

We’re around 25 miles away from La Habra, so all we got was rolling and shifting.

Ready more here Earthquakes | Ready.gov but otherwise just get under a table or desk if one is close by.

Basically you want to limit your movement as much as possible while protecting yourself from falling objects.

My wife’s initial reaction is always to bolt outdoors so I usually have to grab her then start calming her down. She was in a bad earthquake up in Washington where as I have only had 15+ years of mild to medium ones.

We felt the La Habra quake as a nice series of jolts but nothing major and we didn’t feel any of the numerous follow ups.

Reuters reports an 8.0 off the coast of Chile, tsunami warning issued. I presume this is not an April Fool’s joke.

Edit in: USGS reports same.

Edit in again: Now upgraded to an 8.2.

Damn, 8.0 is serious business. It looks like it was centered right where Chile, Peru and Bolivia meet. Hope it’s not too close to major population centers.

Yikes…