Earfquake!

Nice big earthquake just now. 6.0 in the north bay. The house was a-creaking enough to wake me up.

Oh man, that was a good one. Woke me up good. A good rumble, woke up when it was strong and it lasted for a good 10-15 seconds after. Didn’t seem like a jolt like all the previous ones I’ve felt here. That was… interesting. Best way to describe it would be a good roll of thunder that just kept rumbling.

— Alan

It rolled on for a good little while. It’s hard to judge in the moment, but the hanging lamps were swinging pretty good by the end of it.

Definitely not a jolt, though…more of a roller. USGS says it was centered up by Napa/American Canyon.

In Sac but didn’t feel despite being awake from insomnia although it explains why the dog got out of bed and started to pace the hallway.

Fairly strong quake from CNN reports, with a few structures on fire and some minor to moderate damage near the epicenter. Still not the great quake California is overdue for, though, which I am dreading.

Not the first quake I’ve slept right through.

First quake and I’m out of town. Having the pet sitter swing by the house to check on the kitties and assess damage.

Still haven’t heard from my friend Joe. Phone goes direct to voicemail. Waiting.

Not enough to wake me up here in the south bay. Wife was awake already, though, and was able to feel it pretty clearly.

Hope everything is OK with your friend, Rich. From what I hear, there’s service outages aplenty, so hopefully that’s what’s up.

A earthquake is just a glitch in the matrix when they move a city to other place of the map.

Do you know Los Angeles was a isle on the Atlantic sea? Go check GTA:San Andreas sometimes, specially the borders of the map.

A little 3.3 right off the coast of Palos Verdes gave us a jolt last night - not quite a 6.0!

Oh hmmm definitely didn’t feel that. Seems to be that we won’t feel the ~3.x magnitude quakes in that region from the city, but if they’re in one of the bays we would (as I recall the last significant double-event from a few years ago).

— Alan

The United States Geologic Survey released a new study indicating that the chance of California suffering a 8.0+ earthquake over the next thirty years is now seven percent.

These odds are better than the one hundred percent chance of the imminent California-destroying quake I learned about when I was a boy. Of course, that quake would occur almost simultaneously with nuclear war against the Soviets. It turned out that neither event would happen. But my sister is moving to San Francisco soon, so I’m worried for her.

It’s been a generation since the last really big quake in the area (Northridge '94). How often do you Californians drill and prep for a big earthquake nowadays?

Not too sure about drilling, but there’s usually an Earthquake Awareness Week type of event throughout the state once a year or so.

Yeah, time to work a bit more on my earthquake kit(s).

— Alan

Man, that’s scary. We need to make an earthquake kit!

Where I live in California we don’t really feel the big ones. Both the Northridge and SF quakes (1989?) were not felt here. So we don’t do drills.

Fact is the south and east get hit by hurricanes much more often and they do much more damage than earthquakes here. Of course a big one in downtown LA or SF would be bad, but in both the above cases they recovered fairly quickly.

I didn’t see any threads or posts about this. There was a major major earthquake in Nepal: 7.8 on the Richter scale and large enough to be felt an Tibet, Pakistan, and India.

2600 dead including more than a thousand just in Kathmandu.

In addition to the normal terribleness there is also the plight of climbers and Sherpas on Mount Everest. Basecamp was halfway wiped out by an avalanche, a route called the Khumbu Icefall is destroyed, and anyone higher on the mountain will need a helicopter to get out. 200 reported missing at Basecamp. Tremors, landslides, and avalanches are ongoing.

There aren’t many remote villages from which we have heard no word.

base camp hit by avalanche:

Man, we midwesterners are such wusses about earthquakes. There was a 4.2 today near Kalamazoo here in west Michigan, and the local news put up “breaking news” alerts and posted stuff all over social media about it. Probably get a bigger rumble under your feet from a truck passing on the highway than from that little quake.

I can’t even imagine what would happen if the New Madrid fault ever lets go.