Earfquake!

Hey! I’ve got a gal there!

I can. That’s why it’s #1 on my list of “Which major US city is next to die?” in a thread I started after Katrina.

Yeah, I felt that Michigan one just west of Saginaw earlier today. I looked at my wife and immediately went into investigation mode trying to figure out what the heck shook the floor in our basement where we were at the time. It was no worse than what I feel in my office at the factory almost every day, though :). I definitely knew something was up, though, and figure the city was just doing something with the pipes again until she just noticed it on the news page.

My son was briefly a medical marvel thanks to a minor Midwest earthquake a few years back; he was walking home from school when it occurred, and the rumbling caused his over-loaded backpack to slip off his shoulder and swing down to dislocate his knee. He was the only official casualty that year (possibly the decade) from earthquakes in the entire state, afaik.

Well, we just had a little swarm of four earthquakes this afternoon. None over 4.0, but they were centered about a mile and a half away from me. Even if they’re small, when they’re shallow and close they still produce quite a jolt.

4.0 in Fremont at 2:41am. First one I’ve felt. I probably would have slept through it if I wasn’t working.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/nc72490826.html

8.3 in Chile, fortunately off the coast. Hopefully, that keeps casualties low.

“People are terrified … Already we’re hearing reports of buildings collapsing, and also of rock slides, there’s a lot of really arid, mountainous zones here, and electricity out.”

It could. Or it could mean tsunami.

I think the waves are forecast to hit SoCal around 4:30 am. No deluge of land is expected, but beaches and marinas are to be avoided at that time. Kind of curious to see how this turns out.

Doesn’t look like anything happened here at the Redondo Beach pier this morning.

4.3 quake out near San Bernardino that just shook our place near Torrance - 60 miles away!

We had a 4.8 last night about 24km north of here. Shook the apartment up pretty good.

ICheck out this earthquake: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ahv0

Explore this earthquake and learn more about past earthquakes by using the MyQuake app built by the UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id647175823

Bah it’s not loading correctly. 8.0 off of lower Mexico on Pacific side off shore. All we need now are dogs and cats living together.

@ArmandoPenblade you have family in Guatemala right?

Yeah, tons. Haven’t heard anything from mom yet about it putting anyone in danger, but it’s pretty early yet :-(

Another earthquake in Mexico, this time in Mexico City. 7.1, and 32 years to the day when they were hit with an 8.0.

Death toll at 42 so far, and will very likely be a lot higher.

Is that building that falls down in the 2nd video the same one as in the third video?

I’m still sticking with hurricanes.

Yeah, at least Hurricanes give you weeks of warning.

Death toll currently at 217.

Jesus…those buildings swaying. I thought for sure the brick one was going to collapse as all those people were pouring out of it. I was so relieved when the person filming stayed with it until the quake had passed and the building remained standing.

Obviously anyone in the buildings in the other two videos were not as lucky. I hope there were few if any people in them. My heart goes out to all the people in Mexico affected by these quakes, and all the people in PR and the islands affected by the hurricanes, and of course all the people here in the U.S. affected by Harvey and Irma. I can’t remember a month in which so much natural disaster seemed to happen all at once.