Earth 2150 , thoughts?

Because its still rock/paper/scissors execpt with a tech tree. Its not like the game game gave you 100’s of unique units(and I mean really unique not what 99% of most games claim).

Not many RTS (Battlecry?) games have branching mission paths and carryover units from one mission to the next based on your prior performance.

Of course, you came to bash from the word go so that’s not going to make a difference to you, is it?

We should all probably stop feeding the troll.

I think the main thing I’ve learned in this thread is that Jason Becker didn’t play Earth 2150. :)

-Tom

on a similar subject with TGN, has anyone tried Etrom yet? Didn’t feel like downloading a 800mb+ demo, but it looked good from the description.

I snagged this but I haven’t given it a shot yet. For 1 token, it was really a no-brainer.

I’ve downloaded the demo (hey, I’ve got bandwidth! Gotta use it now and
then!), so I’ll be installing it now. Reporting in later :)

I noticed that. Ugh.

Just build resources facilites, power, defenses, and unit factories as needed and ship in harvesters.

Tons of factories and power plants, all with frickin’ cannons, got me through
a few missions now. I did lose one mission, a silly hurry-to-the-other-side-
without-defense-mission. Nice of them to let me keep playing after losing it,
though. Shame about not getting the laser cannons :/

I think you can get hideous white and difficult to read transparent as well.

Stylish, in a retina-burning sort of way!

absorption of impact weapons. useless against energy weapons, for that you need shields.

Ah, only useful in the first few missions, then.

I really wanted to like earth 2150, but after a few missions it felt more and more like going to work. I simply didn’t have the feeling of playing a game but of hard work (and waiting, everything was really slow). Sometimes I think, there’s nothing worse to say about a game than “it’s so ambitous”. They wanted so much (tunnel building, large tech tree etc.) but it all took away the feeling of actually playing a game.

It’s definately a hard core RTS. No casual playing just to see the cutscenes here. You could compress time/change the game speed with +/- on the numpad, but yeah, the “mine resources and come home” missions were usually dull.

There’s a ton of options in skirmish mode, so you ought to be able to find a playstyle you like in that. I also had fun making my own maps. I thought the map editor was one of the best for RTS games.

Well I’ve gone and reinstalled Moon Project now… damn you. Hopefully this will make up for the C&C First Decade fiasco.

EvilIdler, the campaign in Earth 2150 probably isn’t worth it. I’d second caesarbear’s suggestion: play skirmish games instead. The real value in the franchise is seeing how the races and their techs mix and match.

-Tom

Yep, starting to come to that conclusion.

I’ve played the Etrom demo for a bit now, and it’s interesting enough that I
think the curious should check out the demo. All 880 (or whatever) megabytes
of it.

It’s a decent-looking, decent-sounding pesudo-mystical Diablo-ish sci-fi
game with a slightly annoying camera. If the camera would just tilt to a
higher angle, it would be very good. I rate it “interesting” so far. You get
to release your inner demon now and then! Some inventory wrangling is
required (only a few slots to store big rifles you find, while you can collect
54 handguns if you like), the English is quirky as hell and being allowed to
friggin’ level up is the first quest. But it’s mindless murder & mayhem, just
the way some like it.

Back to my Morrowind all-nighter now :)