Earth Defense Force 4.1 & 5 - "The EDF deeeploys!", now with more mission repetition!

still playing 4.1 … The point for me is to play a couple of missions on normal and then to go back and play them on hard. Some missions require lots of testing until I can do it… There was one mission which was impossible with the ranger and pretty easy for my wing diver.

I bought it on steam, too for multiplayer. not sure if I like playing with randos

Question: can you play co-op across two consoles with game sharing?

GiantBomb streaming EDF 5 now.

Is this worth it to play solo? I could play local coop with my son but he usually doesn’t like this type of game.

Sure, ive only ever played the last few iterations solo. Never had the opportunity to play the support class though.

You can absolutely solo with air raider in EDF 5. He’s ridiculously strong.

I’ve had a pretty rough start as a wing diver in 5. I’ve been playing in Online mode so I don’t have to start over when a few friends join in. I was pretty competent at 4.1 but couldn’t get past mission 5 in this new one without swapping to Easy for it. I’m on mission 13 or 14 now & had to switch to Easy for one other mission also. I like being able to build up your guns a bit, and the ability to find weapons for other classes too.

I havent tried it in 5 and remember not getting anywhere it in previous versions. 2017 was the one i played most back in my bachelor days and used to farm harder levels using turrets (and basically afk it browsing the net). I wonder if I can do the same again.

My routine with this game is to join a mission on hard, setup my character to what I think will give me more survaility / destruction power, then watch some serie in netflix to wait till the people return from the current mission so I can join on the next. Is more miss than hit, but when It works you get into some epic battles.

My favorite class is airraider, that I load with all the nukes available. I love to make the crazy lady from the sky spout lines like “the creator of this weapon must be a genius”, or “this weapon can kill everything, including gods”, or “hahahahahah” (maniacal laughter). Then depending on the mission I pick a mech, or the apc. The apc is great for mobility and picking weapons crates.

I think all classes are good and probably fencer is the one with more potential.

Yeah, wing diver is a lot tougher in 5 it seems from what little I played of it (I’m 90% ranger so far), though I suspect when you get the right drops it will be a great class. There are many missions where mobility is a huge help. I just don’t really like the charge mechanic so many of the new wing diver weapons have.

Not a huge fan of that mechanic either but I’m learning to deal with it. It works well when you have a huge mass of charging ants though. Can charge a full load on the pulse MG and hold it, then let your energy recharge so you’re ready to fly away as soon as you run out. Way too many gimmicky weapons that aren’t really useful though, but 4.1 was full of them also.

OK, thanks! I should probably unmute a thread I post a question in so I can see the answers. I was wondering where the thread went. :-)

Iron Rain Quick Look:

Oh God, it looks so bad.

That Dr. Mengel is the best!

Man, two EDF games that aren’t on PC yet. So sad.

My son was home for a few days. Surprised him with edf5 on PS4. We played through 41 missions together. Looking forward to doing more remotely.

@Ginger_Yellow not blaming you, but what a terrible, bullshit video that is. If they aren’t into the series and appreciate it for what it is, they shouldn’t post content about it.

Going on and on about how bad it looks when it is miles better (at a glance) than any other game in the series is beyond stupid. And asking “this just looks like another one of those fucking games…why is this the bad one?” What utter garbage. And the guy answering struggled to get past the 4th mission, so how the hell are they qualified to answer? “Because of the physics?” In an EDF game?

I thought giant bomb considered themselves to be journalists. What a joke.

Yeah, I actually like the look of Iron Rain. The new lighting and PBR shaders are nice compared to all the previous title which had failed to evolve graphically.

I’m already planning to get Days Gone and Dreams EA this month, though, so I’m not planning to drop a full $60. But I’ll be interested when the price co es down, or if it hits PS Now or PS Plus.

I am watching a stream, and It looks good, like a more high def version of the old games. It seems the only sacrifices made where playable area size and maybe number of enemies. Maybe people would have enjoyed a more precise game where something like bodies where solid, or more physics simulations like that.
I trough buildings breaking would look bad, but the rumble fall down correctly.

I have not played the game, so I can only judge from outside.

Not really. Patrick Klepek, back when he worked for them, sure, but I don’t think the others would call themselves journalists, just media.

It’s a Quick Look. It’s not a review, it’s just a brief play session, with one guy who’s been playing the game a bit and somebody fresh to whom the player explains it. That’s the format. And Gerstmann is a long-time hater of the series, so he was always going to have a negative take, because it’s not like it ever changes all that much. Jason’s a fan, so it’s not like they’re just hating on it because.

Got to say, I’m pretty down on it from watching the video, though I’ll reserve final judgment. The currency/unlock system gives me the creeps and there didn’t seem to be any material changes to the gameplay to merit buying it so soon after 5. Also, maybe it’s just Youtube artifacts, but the explosions looked appalling.

Yeah, they pretty much were just hating on it because, and for a fan of the series, that guy is wholly incompetent, but moving on…

I thought the explosions looked good for the series, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The unlock system seems great to me because if you like a certain type of weapon, you can buy it as soon as an upgrade is available. And you won’t ever not get it because you outleveled the drop range. When my son and I were playing 5 this week, it took him 40 missions to replace his starting hand cannons for his fencer. That wouldn’t happen in Iron rain. EDF always had half this system (you couldn’t get certain weapons until you got to a certain mission/difficulty range) but you had no control over the drops. Now you do, in effect. You can also switch class roles at any time with no dropoff (and armor purchases apply to all of them).

I also really like the idea that nothing is restricted by class anymore. The 30 second timer to pick up gems is nice. Enemy variety is quite large in the first few missions, with the dung beetles being an especially cool addition that changes things up a bit (and fighting a rebel human faction opens up lots of possibilities). I like the cutscenes so far. They are suitably cheesy but haven’t overstayed their welcome, at least early.

One thing I’m not sold on is the overdrive system, but we will see.

I’m having a blast with air raider in edf5, and air raider isn’t a thing in Iron rain, but that’s a good thing in a way because I can play it in a totally different way.