Earthquake in LA

That was a ton of fun! I felt like I was dancing in my chair against my will! ;) Hope we don’t get any more.

Otisville? Otisville?

At least this gives all the news channels to use their many variations of “QUAKEWATCH '08” logos and such.

Hopefully it’ll the only one the have to watch this year or in the future…

Best Post Ever

Is it just me or does Mr. Reeves look a bit like Sylar in that picture?

Landline telephone networks fail in an earthquake, too. It’s a switching constraint, not a bandwidth constraint.

So, I’m in Dallas right now – my plane took off from John Wayne Airport in Irvine about 30 minutes before the quake. Freaky.

Of course, what am I here in Dallas for? QuakeCon.

Lamest earthquake ever. I pretty much slept through it. Plus, no aftershocks. Sheesh.

-Tom

now they are warning citizen that this may be the precursor to the “ONE” which might happen in the next 24 hours…

I want to don my doomsayer costume… “DOOOOOOM”

I was driving in northern San Diego county at the time and didn’t even notice it. Bumpy roads are worse than a 5.4 (it’s been downgraded) about 100 miles away.

So, you admit that you were asleep at 1142AM?

Interesting.

By the way, who’s with me that when we finallly have “THE BIG ONE” it will be somewhere completely unexpected? I can just see it now:

“DETROIT FLATTENED BY 9.3 EARTHQUAKE”
“President sees “No Point” in rebuilding”

:-)

Check out this thread I started about 3 years ago. I’ll be sure to point to it and say “I told you so” should anything mentioned therein come to pass. :-)

Heh, living in Wellington we’re always told the Big One is overdue. When/if it comes it should be quite spectacular considering a major fault line runs straight through the city.

Well, I was trying to be. But by the time the stupid earthquake woke me up by shaking my bed, it was pretty much over. What, you guys get up before noon…?

And if this is the precursor to the Big One, it better get here before tomorrow morning, when I leave for QuakeCon. I missed the Northridge quake and I’d hate for that to happen again. For the longest time, it sucked living in LA and not having a story about the Northridge quake.

“So where were you when it happened?”

“Uh, Arkansas.”

-Tom

QuakeCon. Heh.

One of my co-workers was on a conference call with a bunch of people in Chino Hills when it hit. Lots of hollering, but no damage at their location.

I can sort of relate - I moved to the Bay Area less than year after the Loma Prieta quake, so I never got to join in discussions about it.

I also never got to see a tornado when I lived in Ohio (though I did experience my first earthquake there…go figure).

yeah I moved to orlando for like 2 years, and everyone tells about how bad the hurricanes were.
I never even seen one, they were telling me scary stories like you go weeks without power or water and all you can eat is grilled meat.

When I tell people I’m from CA, they are like “How can you live in an earthquake state like CA?”, I usually tell them that I have electricity and water after an earthquake, I don’t have to go without a bath for weeks or eat burnt meat all day long.

It’d be hard to choose which type of natural disaster is worse.

Hurricanes don’t really just jump out of the middle of nowhere. You always have several days, sometimes weeks, to enact an evacuation, although as many hurricanes have proven (and Katrina painfully proves) knowledge of the incoming event isn’t always handled correctly.

Earthquakes on the other hand can come out of nowhere and therefore catch people in very dangerous situations.

It’s hard to choose but I’d have to say I would prefer to be caught in an earthquake, unless it hit when I was driving over a bridge or at the top of a tall building (of course).