EA's Origin = spyware, have fun with your manshoot

Heavens, they’ll know my OS, which EA games I have, and my system specs.

This is pretty tame stuff. And they actually told us, unlike countless other software that grabs your specs and calls home whether you want it to or not.

Well, this was posted by AngryCoder…

Rage is never nullified on the Internet, sir. The best part is raging against something that happened 2 months ago and has since been changed.

Sorry, I must have missed something on the internet. What does “have fun with your manshoot” mean?

In the game, you shoot mans. So it is a manshoot.

A manshoot is the genre of gaming wherein you shot mans.

Duh.

Manshoot is a great name for a gay sports bar.

Although if we’re going to be actually serious about it I believe that the term “manshoot” is some cross-pollination from RPS to here.

That is awesome. For some reason, probably my wife’s cooking over the weekend, I was thinking of plant “shoots” when I read manshoot. Thought it was some kind of vegetable reference I hadn’t heard of.

As long as we can get good games without this crap, by supporting good games without this crap, we can get good games and let others deal with this.

This is a big reason why I’ve largely abandoned the mainstream publishers these days. Not because I’m sort of crazed hipster, but because they’re not doing it for me enough to put up with the crap, and there’s enough really good indie stuff out there.

By your logic I’m thinking it must be pronounced mans hoot. I approve of this.

Alstein, I’ve specifically not bought any Origin games because the one and only game I did buy was completely locked to me due to tech issues between EA’s license key server and Origin. (Darkspore!)

But for the sake of argument, let’s say I really wanted to play a cutting edge shooter. Hell, ignore “cutting edge” and let’s say a new shooter. Which indie dev is currently producing one that does not require Origin or Steam*?

*Steam is included since the revised Origin EULA is very similar.

I don’t even know what this means. :(

…information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware. As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise enhancing your user experience.

Read literally, they could be tracking how often they launch every exe on your machine.

This might explain why , when Origin launches, all of my hard drives decide to spin up from sleep mode.

This was discussed awhile ago. Boy the “news” sites sure are slow on the pickup.

So is Origin okay to install on my PC now?

That’s the disconcerting point at which “EULA says we can rifle through your stuff” turns into “yeah we’re rifling through your stuff atm.”

“Please wait while we datamine your system”.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this too. What’s up with this? My hard drive spinning up often seems to blame for BF3 crashing …

Awesome it made me redownload all 11GB for an update.