Eat your heart out Gwent. The Elder Scrolls Online is getting a collectible card game.

Eat your heart out Gwent. The Elder Scrolls Online is getting a collectible card game. Bethesda Softworks has announced Tales of Tribute, a collectible card game that will be playable from within The Elder Scrolls Online. It’s coming with the High Isle expansion for the MMO, although it’s unclear if ownership of the expansion will be required to play the CCG. According to Bethesda, Tales of Tribute will feature leaderboards, tons of cards, a campaign story, and you’ll be able to challenge other live players and NPCs to a game while out and about in Tamriel. Rich Lambert, Creative Director for ESO, said Tales of Tribute is a deck-building game with the goal of out-producing your opponent as opposed to being focused on direct card combat. As if collecting pets, mounts, and furniture wasn’t enough. High Isle’s first chapter, Ascending Tide, launches on March 14 for PC and March 29 for consoles.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2022/01/27/eat-your-heart-out-gwent-the-elder-scrolls-online-is-getting-a-collectible-card-game/

I’m (shamefully) watching the announcement and follow-up developer discussion, and they said the card game would be available all across Tamriel, so I assume you don’t need to buy the expansion to play it.

The “first chapter” launching in March is just a DLC with two dungeons. The real expansion with the outdoor zone, new companions, etc, launches in June.

Or it could be like the archeology minigame. You got access to it if you bought the one expansion or later expansions, but if you stayed with the base game you’re locked out.

At any rate, curious to see what they do here.

Yeah that’s possible too.

It would be cool if cards could be loot drops from mobs in the game.

I’m sure they will be, same as furniture and such.

I thought they already had a failed one

They did, a standalone, but this one is part of ESO.

Shrug, not my thing, but whatever floats your boat.

Are all the expansions and stuff for this available on gamepass? I haven’t played it in ages.

Weirdly, because it was extremely well recieved. Obviously, I don’t know by how many, but its was a rather good game.
I think maybe they found out their free-2-play setup was too generous, and no-one actually bought anything? I know I didn’t at least.
I think pretty much everyone was sad when it was announced that it was effectively dead in the water, with no further updates being made.

I don’t think Gwent is the best comparison - since it’s MMOs, they might be getting this in ESO because of FFXIV’s Triple Triad.

No, just the base game and the first Morrowind expansion are on game pass. All the various DLC zones and additional expansions must be purchased. If you want to give it a go, I suggest playing around a bit in Vvardenfell then if you like it, subscribe to ESO+, which gives access to everything but the very latest expansion.