EB selling more indie and smaller company games

Okay, I was just wondering if any of you have noticed if your local Electronic Boutiques have started selling more than the usual array of bloat or ‘big company’ games.
I’ve noticed that there are a lot more games on the shelf that I’ve never heard of then there used to be. Is this just my EB or has this been a chain-wide change of pace?
I am estatic over this by the way, it took me a month to find ‘Cubivore’ and two weeks to get STUN:DG, they might actually have Grom in tomorrow.
(three things you lie to yourself about: ‘I don’t need to see the doctor’, ‘I’ll begin working out starting tomorrow’, and ‘I won’t buy another game for a few months.’)

My local CompUSA has a bunch of CDV games on the shelf…

Neocron, Sudden Strike II, Divine Divinity, American Conquest, Cossacks, etc.

I haven’t seen any of those at CompUSA, I found them at EB though (neither carry ‘Moonbase Commander’.)
They seem to be carrying more of the little developers, CDV, JoWood, DreamCatcher. I’m not used to finding these things in stores. I must live in an EB test market.

I was just at my local EB the other day looking for Freelancer (Answer: “Sorry, Dude, sold out.”), and the erosion of PC game wallspace has continued like termites were eating it or something. PC games now occupy only a sliver of back wall next to the back room door and and equally small sliver on the corner of that same wall. The sotre is at least 90% console now. Creepy.

EB had Moonbase Commander, because I bought it there. They did a clearance sale (that is still going on) where MC was 4.71 or something like that. So it’s likely the game is simply sold out never to be seen again at your EB.

EB usually gets at least one of every new game, even the low grade stuff that most of us would avoid without a second thought. It’s been that way for years. The thing you’re probably noticing is that there simply aren’t as many big releases anymore for the PC, so the other stuff now stands out more. Independent and small publisher games are fast becoming the norm on the PC, especially those created in foreign lands and not the US.

This is exactly the thing I’ve been saying was happening in those threads about the PC struggling and becoming less important to EB. There’s no way they’re going to sell as many games now with PS2/Gamecube and especially Xbox out there. A lot of folks are buying consoles, PC gamers included, and sticking with them while ignoring PC gaming entirely or until some super monster release comes along.

–Dave

I guess you can say the same thing about the Gamecube.

In my opinion, I look for Nintendo to be lose a ton of support as the year progresses. When I ask people what game console they like, Nintendo is never brought up. If the big N is brought up I usually get remarks such as “Nintendo is gay” and “fags play Nintendo games.” The big N needs to reshape it’s image into an adult only console or else there will be only be Microsoft and Sony fighting for consumers.

I guess you can say the same thing about the Gamecube.

In my opinion, I look for Nintendo to be lose a ton of support as the year progresses. When I ask people what game console they like, Nintendo is never brought up. If the big N is brought up I usually get remarks such as “Nintendo is gay” and “fags play Nintendo games.” The big N needs to reshape it’s image into an adult only console or else there will be only be Microsoft and Sony fighting for consumers.[/quote]

I agree. The only people I know who get excited about Nintendo are people who are hooked on their properties and have been for years. Everyone else wants an Xbox or PS2 especially people who are casual gamers.

– Xaroc

Yeah, the Gamecube is looking more and more like the Dreamcast. It’s looking bad for Nintendo.

Not so. For the most part, at least for me, the X-box and PS2 kinda cover the same ground where types of games are concerned. I have a PS2 and the sheer differece in game types that are released between the X-box and Gamecube have swung me towards wanting my 2nd console to be a Gamecube. Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Massacre, et.al. that have no counterparts on either of the other two consoles. While if the X-box has a certain title there is, arguably, a similair one on the PS2 or it will be ported eventually. There are a couple of exceptions, I realize, but the libraries are close enough that I feel it is duplication to own both X-box and PS2. Unless cost is not a constraint, of course, and then you might as well have all three.

Not so. For the most part, at least for me, the X-box and PS2 kinda cover the same ground where types of games are concerned. I have a PS2 and the sheer differece in game types that are released between the X-box and Gamecube have swung me towards wanting my 2nd console to be a Gamecube.

Which is why you should own a GBA instead of a GC. Zelda? Check. Metroid? Check. Every known Nintendo property? Check. Super Monkey Ball? Check. The only thing you’re lacking is a portable version of Animal Crossing, and I get the feeling that can’t be far off.

Plus, it’s a portable system, so it covers another niche that the PS2 can’t. Having two full-size consoles is always kind of redundant.

I bought a Dreamcast…

then I bought a GameCube.

Hundreds of dollars and like 15 games between them, and now where am I?

I should’ve just gotten a PS2.

Next system I buy is going to be the one with the highest installed base. That will be my ONLY criterion.

edit:

before the DC was an N64.

And no, I don’t own a PS2 or Xbox.

“Yeah, the Gamecube is looking more and more like the Dreamcast. It’s looking bad for Nintendo.”

Dave’s gonna scream bloody murder with this statement.

Buy 'em all, let the Market sort them out is my feeling.

And yes Nintendo is down but not out. Remember Sega was in serious financial problems since before the Dreamcast ever came to be while Nintendo still has yet to report a single loss.

I’d love to see Nintendo’s financial results broken down into lines of business. I know GBA kicks ass, but I wonder if the Gamecube actually makes money?

I’d love to see Nintendo’s financial results broken down into lines of business. I know GBA kicks ass, but I wonder if the Gamecube actually makes money?[/quote]

And to make things even more confusing, until GTA 3, the top 4 selling video games of all time were on the N64: Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, all of which sold in excess of 3 million units (Super Mario 64 sold nearly 6).

In contrast, the GameCube’s best selling title, Super Smash Bros Melee, barely tops the Dreamcast’s best-selling title, Sonic Adventure with 1,100,000 and 1,054,000 units respectively. As of Aug 02, from whence all this data came, Halo had sold 1,500,000 units.

I both think that Nintendo is toast and that they have a potential niche market for their in-house titles if they can get their act back together. They’d fall of the pure profit money train if they became a third party developer. OTOH if a console maker gave them a totally sweet 0% royalty deal in exchange for exclusivity, that console maker would likely figuratively kicks its competition in the nuts.

I know that Zelda The Wind Walker has broken the half million mark for pre-orders 2 weeks before it’s even released. At around 560,000 and climbing.

A rep for Electronic Boutique says that it has outpaced pre-orders for Grand Theft Auto 3, which seems a bit odd to me. What did GTA3 wind up
selling within a week of it’s release ? Seems like I remember it selling over a Million pretty fast. Maybe the pre-orders are happening at a slightly faster rate, but I figure only time will tell if it sells as much in a short time.

With this line of thinking, you should clearly ask to see Microsoft’s bottom line with regard to Xbox too, don’t you think?

All analysts agree that Gamecube makes Nintendo money. They are not selling the console at a loss, unlike the worldwide third place console maker.

You folks that want to write Nintendo off, go right ahead. Those folks that call their system and games “gay” have a lot more problems than choosing a video game console. The GBA post above, clearly by wumpus, is indicative of someone that has never touched a Gamecube or its games.

Once again, Zelda has set records for pre-orders. It’s clearly driving some console sales. Nintendo’s free game promotion has pushed sales above expectations and likely will put Nintendo in the #2 spot for the month of February in the US. That is almost guaranteed to continue into March with Zelda’s release on the 24th.

Also, Super Smash Brothers Melee and Super Mario Sunshine have broken 1,000,000 in the US with SSBM up to 1.4 million now. They also sold over 1.5 million of that game in Japan. Halo is Microsoft’s biggest selling game, far outpacing everything else on the console with 1.9 million sold. The next best selling game is Splinter Cell which hadn’t broken a million in sell through as of the end of January in the US. Project Gotham is next at only 750,000.

PS2 by comparison has 20 games over 1 million as of the end of January in the US alone.

The bottom line for all you misinformed folks is that Nintendo is doing just fine. If you truly believe the loss of a couple of THQ games (and they dropped just as many for Xbox and PS2), and some 3DO titles (when they haven’t yet released a game on Gamecube to begin with) has any bearing on the console’s future, you simply have no clue. The strategic partnership with EA that was just announced put another thorn in Microsoft’s side. Nintendo has strong 3rd party relations with companies including Namco, Sega, Square EA and now, even Konami again. They’ve secured exclusive titles for their system that no other console will receive. They also always have their own stable of games which are guaranteed to sell as well as any but the absolute runaway hits on any given console.

Yeah, if all you care about is being in the “in-crowd” then you should own a PS2 or an Xbox so you can alternately be like everyone else or be an Xtreme gamer. If you care about playing great games and you want a console that offers something that the whole family can enjoy in addition to the “mature” games, then you should own a Gamecube and probably a PS2 as well. Like Tyjenks says, if you own an Xbox, you’re basically getting the same things you’ll find on PS2 minus all the Japanese games and even fewer worthwhile exclusives.

Most importantly though, if you don’t own a Gamecube, you don’t get any Nintendo properties, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic, Resident Evil, the Capcom upcoming GC-only releases, the Namco/Sega co-developed Star Fox Armada and F-Zero and on and on… Nintendo has the exclusive games. If you don’t care about them, good for you, buy something else. However, many folks do care about them and many people will buy the console to play them. With each release they fill another place in their lineup that you may or may not want and it’s often exclusive. 3rd party support is there for the major games, and the EA deal secured the most important 3rd party support of all.

If you’ve got your panties in a bunch over Army Men or Rugrats, well…you’re probably not reading this board and you probably already own a PS2.

–Dave

Any of you in California looking for Moonbase Commander should try Frys Electronics. I saw several boxes of it for 10 bucks at the City of Industry one a couple of months ago.

560,000 and counting…

Not so. For the most part, at least for me, the X-box and PS2 kinda cover the same ground where types of games are concerned. I have a PS2 and the sheer differece in game types that are released between the X-box and Gamecube have swung me towards wanting my 2nd console to be a Gamecube. Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Massacre, et.al. that have no counterparts on either of the other two consoles. While if the X-box has a certain title there is, arguably, a similair one on the PS2 or it will be ported eventually. There are a couple of exceptions, I realize, but the libraries are close enough that I feel it is duplication to own both X-box and PS2. Unless cost is not a constraint, of course, and then you might as well have all three.[/quote]

Yeah but most people especially casual gamers want either an Xbox or a PS2 as their first console which is my point. I would imagine people who own just a GC are a really really really small minority.

– Xaroc