Ebook Bargains

Ha ha. Well, I looked at the title and clicked on a link under it. I had no idea what it was going to show me.

Another thing I often with Amazon is visit the Author’s Page and select the Kindle column. That lets me see everything under Kindle attributed to the author.

I wish I had gotten around to trying the first one, which I have, to get a feel for whether I will enjoy the series. I guess since I only own the first one I might as well wait until the earlier ones go on sale before i get any others.

I loved the first, liked the second, but the third lost me. I keep meaning to go back and retry, but I’ve heard some very mixed things about the evolution of the series, so I definitely plan to take it one book at a time.

Jonathan Maberry’s fantasy novel Kagen the Damned is $2.99 over on Amazon.

Book one of the Scholomance series on sale

For those who want to learn the history of Middle Earth, the Silmarillion is on sale for $4 today https://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-R-Tolkien-ebook/dp/B007978PGI/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1672237776&sr=8-3

Good looking SF and Fantasy ebook bundle from Humble:

Never heard of any of these. Which of these would you recommend?

Edit: Apparently Emperor’s Soul by Sanderson won the Hugo for Best Novella back in 2013. So that must be good.

Not sure that I’ve read any of the works, but some of these are well-known authors. There’s a .pdf sample you can read for each book.

Emperor’s Soul was a nice little read; a short novella but still very Sanderson-y, so if you like his other stuff this one is good too, and a little different.

I’ve read The Rithmatist by Sanderson, which was very nice. Not super, but very pleasant. I liked it.

This is not a comment on the Sanderson novella, which I have not read, but it’s always worth remembering that the Hugos are and have ever been a popularity contest at a particular (very large) con. Frequently they vote to give that award to really great works, but any popularity contest has its hits and misses. YMMV

The Emperors’ Soul is a very neat magic system wrapped up with a mostly pleasant, fairly slim story.

Back in the days when Waldenbooks at the mall was the only place I could find science fiction books (in the 90s, in college), list of Hugo winners served me well. Though the list of Nebula winners was more hit and miss, but it also lead to some more difficult reads than the Hugo that ended up being more memorable. But at least back then, it was a very good way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I suppose that now we have the internet, and I can get in touch with other people who read science fiction, I don’t need to rely as much on the Hugos to direct me to the good stuff.

Brin’s Startide Rising $1.99 today:

One of my favorites - love genetically engineered dolphins vs aliens!

Amazon has David Wong’s John Dies at the End on sale for $3.99.
If you like bizarre humor in a supernatural horror setting this book is for you.

Not exactly a sale, but all 10 Amber books for less than $10 (these weren’t issued as eBooks for a long time due to issues with Zelazny’s Estate, AFAIK):

Thanks for posting this! I saved three dollars on all the Amber Books with Kindle Rewards (I guess that is something new)?

Wow… thanks for posting that. I would have missed it, and that’s a hell of a deal.

Thanks, what a great deal. I was just thinking about giving these a go again. I started the first one a year or two ago and enjoyed it but something pulled me away and it must have been a library checkout or something and I didn’t get to finish. Time to remedy that.

I also saw a LOTR collection for $4.99. I don’t have ebook versions so I grabbed it.