Ebook Bargains

Hey folks, anyone have any thoughts on this bundle?

Wow, there are a crapload of WH40K books, I don’t recognize any of these. Though it occurs to me as I type this that some of those are plain old (uninteresting) Warhammer, not 40K, which kind of bums me out.

So you’re solely a WH40K man?

Yes I am! Generally speaking, I am more interested in sci-fi and not all that interested in fantasy. I make exceptions for stuff like Game of Thrones and The Witcher and the Lord of the Rings books (not so much the movies).

It’s almost entirely book ones for trilogies/series, and at no level do you get more. (Except for the Realmsgate War, you get two whole entries in that). Only one of the books is by either of the two consistently good Black Library authors (Dan Abnett, who has one book at the highest tier, and Aaron Dembski-Bowden who has none). If you just want an indiscriminate sampler of recent Warhammer 40K and a little bit of Age of Sigmar fiction, of which very few are likely to be all that readable, it’s a decent price for that. But you probably don’t? Leastways, I sure wouldn’t. Again, a lot of Black Library stuff is…not good.

Thanks man!

New StoryBundle looks fairly cool, potentially:

It’s the World SF bundle, featuring four World SF anthologies, featuring SF authors from around the world translated into English.

Caveat, of course: I have no idea if any of these are any good. But it seems like an interesting gamble. I’ve never read science fiction from authors other than British and American authors.

Aliette de Bodard, Ekaterina Sedia, and Cassandra Khaw are all great. In general it seems like a much stronger bundle than their usual Kevin Anderson selected ones.

Thanks. That will give me a place to start.

Yeah, this one is curated by Lavie Tidhar, not Kevin Anderson, which is what made me even give it a second look.

I’ll probably start with one of the anthologies, or if I can’t get into those, then try one of the three authors you mentioned.

Funny about Anderson, but I noticed that as well. Anderson tends to pick the same writers over and over. I don’t like his selections. Don’t really care for his work, either.

I see that Martha Wells’ All Systems Red is the free Tor Ebook this month. I thought it was pretty good.

Tor

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I am not sure why she’s charging $10 for the followups, which appear to be of similar length, though.

Yeah, it looks like the books weigh in at around 160 pages each. 10 bucks a pop for what appears to be a series of novellas seems to be a bit cash grabby.

Seems like I got the first one for like $2.99 or something, much more reasonable…

It was $4. I would happily pay $4 for the others, too. $10, not so much.

Murderbot, huh? OK, I’m in.

Huh. One of the featured authors (Zen Cho) is Malaysian and draws from traditional Malay folklore. That’s interesting enough for me to give it a look.

$10 is too much for 160 pages, two to three hours of entertainment.

And you wonder why most writers have day jobs. :(

When that’s roughly the going price for a full length novel? Yes, it is.

Besides, it’s generally not practical for me to pay that much for novels, either. I only really read on the bus to and from work and on breaks at work (and a little bit at home during meals) and I generally get through a standard length (~300ish page) novel or multiple shorter works in a day. If I were paying $10+ each that would consume the majority of my entertainment budget for the month and not at all cover my available free time. I used to rely primarily on the library but now book bundles and $2-3 bargain books on Amazon help supplement that a lot.

Your family misses you at meals malkav11. Won’t you at least give them some attention at meal times?