Ebook Bargains

Hang on, I’m not following you. Startide Rising was the second book of the original trilogy, and was not really all that connected to the first book really, so you could at least see that coming. Though Startide Rusing did have kind of a cliffhanger ending that did get resolved in the latter trilogy.

I’m old enough that I read Startide Rising on its initial release. It wasn’t sold as a sequel to Sundiver because the latter went nowhere on release. So for me, the series was Startide Rising / Uplift War. Sundiver was a kind of prequel I read later, but the central mystery driving the other two books is basically absent in Sundiver.

All right, fair enough, but I still would say that the unresolved questions from Sundiver do eventually get resolved in the latter trilogy.

It didn’t bother me personally, but I could see where someone might want to keep following the characters from Startide Rising. They were more interesting than the characters in the other books.

They started to get resolved some 12 years after Startide Rising, long after I’d moved on. I guess that was in the pre-GRR Martin era, heh. Anyway, none of it IMO ever lived up to the promise of SR.

I’d say read Chasm City after Revelation Space, then continue with the rest of the trilogy. That’s kind of chronological, and characters in CC appear in Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap.

FWIW, I’ve never read a Reynolds book I didn’t like. His Poseidon’s Children trilogy is also good, though it mires down just a little in its final act.

Luckily for me, the wait was only 3 or 4 years. I read Startide Rising/Uplift War in 92 when I was a freshman in college, and he came out with Brightness Reef when I was a senior, and he finished that trilogy right after that.

I never buy hardcover books by the way. I was a poor college student, after all. Plus I hated hardcover books because it’s so hard to read them because they’re big and heavy compared to paperbacks.

But for Brightness Reef, I made an exception. After waiting 3/4 years to find out what happens to the crew from Startide Rising, I couldn’t wait a day more. I bought that book on the day of release. The only time I’ve ever done that.

Of course, the joke was on me, because you don’t find out what happens to the crew from the earlier book in Brightness Reef after all. But it was still a great book.

Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys is on sale for $2.

One of these days I need to read and actually finish Quicksilver, and then the rest of the series. From some reason I’ve drifted off to other things in my previous attempts to read it.

Where is this on sale?

It was on sale on Amazon yesterday. Apparently the price is no longer available as it is back to $7.24 today.

The best spy book of all time, LeCarre’s Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is on Bookbub today for $2.

Remember, there are three of them, and Alleline.

I see Robert McCammon’s “Swan Song” is on sale for $1.99 at Amazon today. Any opinions? Decent post-apocalyptic story?

I remember seeing good things about Fonda Lee’s Jade City in the other book thread and it’s on sale at Amazon for $2.99. Purchased but I haven’t started yet. These Kindle sales along with all the great suggestions around here keep my backlog growing.

It’s also in Kindle Unlimited so if you have that, it’s free.

I thought Swan Song was a pretty good book.

Sad it’s too late. I’ve read it once, wanted to add this novel to my Gaiman’s e-book collection :(

Latest by Nobel Prize winner Modiano is $3 today. His stuff is great period and atmospheric noir.

Really positive reviews for the most part on Amazon. The talk of Lovecraft and horror turn me off though. I’ve never read anything in that genre. Maybe I’m missing out.