Ebook Bargains

I agree in theory, but I think the convenience of not having to learn a new pronoun (ve? xe? herm?) outways the inconvenience of the ambiguous they.

People already use the singular “they”, and if anything, inventing a new pronoun draws extra attention to non-binary identity in a way I’m not entirely comfortable with, while singular “they” sounds like slightly lazy speech.

Ideally, eventually non-gendered pronouns would be as uncontroversial as using Ms. rather than Miss or Mrs, but there’s far enough to go that I think a singular they is a decent half-step.

When you think about it though, genitalia is not used to denote gender in most social situations. I, for instance, have never seen the genitals of any of my co-workers, but am able to reliably gender all of them.

Amazon has some Stanislaw Lem on sale today:

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/entity/author/B000AQ3P7Y&sort=price-asc-rank

If anyone likes to read comics on e-readers, I just got an email offering $15 off a $30 purchase at Comixology, enter code THANKS18 at checkout.

Thanks for the heads up! I was able to pick up a few sale items to double the savings.

Bedfellow looks like a really creepy story. Purchased.

Bookbub has Garcia Marquez’s excellent Love in the Time of Cholera for $2.99 today. Probably his second best novel. If you’ve never read him, here’s your chance!

I assume you are putting "One Hundred Years of Solitude above it?

Oddly enough, my favorite book of Marquez’ to read is “Autumn of the Patriarch.”

I like Autumn, but I can still recall how Solitude blew me away the first time I read it. Best first sentence in literature, maybe.

I’m (slowly) learning Spanish these days. One of the things I hope to do is re-read some of his shorter works in the original language.

Dan Simmons’ “The Terror” is one of the deals today on Amazon, $2.99. Heard good things about it but I’ve obly read his science fiction stuff.

It’s really good. A little long, but good.

Agree, The Terror is a really good novel.

I’m kind of afraid to post this here because whenever I mention a book I am usually told what crap someone thinks it is but…it’s a good price and you can get at almost any shop you want to get it at !

Digital versions are $2.99

I’ve never read a Pern novel; I think because I played this C64 Pern game many years ago that just seemed strange, you flew a dragon around and tried to avoid these colorful wormlike things falling from the sky. I think I just assumed they books couldn’t be any good. Am I wrong?

I didn’t read a lot of the. The White Dragon was pretty good, at least years ago. What I like about the Pern is the entire concept was kind of newish and well developed. I have no idea where it stacks with people who are, shall we say, high brow about their books. It was just neat. The board Game, which I have, was a little odd too… and had a lot of pieces!

I loved the Pern books as a kid. I especially loved, as an 11 year old boy, that there was sex in them:) But also dragons and acidic skysnakes and time travel and mini dragons. These are awesome books. I should pick them up just to reminisce.

I resemble these remarks! I’ve reread them a few times, and it’s always a fun bit of nostalgia.

Yeah, bought. Thanks for the heads up, they’re good books!

Read them as a kid, I think the early ones stand up okay. Actually if I remember correctly I read Dragonflight first, which chronologically is the way to start, but might ruin the “mystery” of the early novels if you don’t know the plot at all.

— Alan