Ebook Bargains

I am convinced that they slow readers down when producing audiobooks. I almost never listen at 1x, and most things I speed up to at least 1.25x. They’re just so deliberate otherwise. I’ve heard you can train your brain to listen as fast as or faster than you can read, which means you can probably do 2-3x or more. (Audible lets you go up to 3.5x.) There’s an iOS app called Rightspeed which lets you listen as fast as you want, and the author claims to still have comprehension at 5x and above.

I’m glad I didn’t pay full price because I’m finding it a challenge to enjoy. Perhaps it gets better but this is some really obtuse stuff. Maybe I’m just too stupid for it. And trying to listen via audiobook probably isn’t the best approach for something as confusing and jargon filled as this.

Figuring out the details of the universe from context is part of the fun, IMO.

Only read the first chapter so far, but I’m liking it. It has tones of WH40K with its dogma vs heresy business. I like the whole tactical-level boots on the ground kind of stories. This will be a good one to kick off a year of reading.

I remember listening to a Richard K Morgan audiobook (similarly jargon-filled, although at least with Earth-origin proper names) and literally comprehending none of the plot. It was a good narrator, though.

Having now finished the series, I do think they are well worth the read. I also have high hopes for Lee improving as he goes along. Overall, it reminded me most of Use of Weapons, perhaps without the payoff.

I had the opposite experience. I thought the first chapter was OK but really enjoyed the second and by that point I was hooked.

I not only got to these but, miraculously, started reading them in a semi-timely fashion, and I want to jump on the train of thanks for the recommendation. I’m in the middle of the second book now and, while there are definitely flaws, there’s a lot about the writing and a story that’s a very different take on what I would normally expect, and I’m really enjoying the ride.

I’m going to stick with it and see how it goes. Did a few more chapters yesterday and it was more interesting.

The Time of Contempt (Book 2 of The Witcher series) on sale for $3

Edit: I think Discourse is butchering the link somehow…
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/?ASIN=B008AS8556&?ref_=pe_170810_386497640_KCLC-test-B008AS8556

A series I have heard a lot of positives about but never picked up, Ian M Banks Culture series, has the first two books on sale for $3 each. I found them at Amazon but Im sure they are available for the Nook as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0013TX6FI/ref=pe_170810_386576050_KDD

You’re in for a treat. Banks is brilliant, and both those books are great books.

The Fifth Season: The Broken Earth, book 1 is on sale for a dollar and change:

Hugo winner, been on my to-read list for a while.

Alas, still shows up as ten bucks for me (in U.S.)

I’m in Norway, might be a European sale.

I see that “The Girl With All the Gifts” And it’s sequel (I think?) “The Boy on the Bridge” are available today on Amazon for $2.99 each. Hard to discuss what they’re about without spoiling, but I liked the first book very much, and haven’t read the second yet. Definitely will though.

More linkies @divedivedive!

It is on sale for me as well, but priced at around six dollars. I’ve been wanting to read this one, thanks for the heads up!

Sorry, posting from my phone and links can be troublesome. I’ll make more effort to get all the details in going forward.

I’ll take a heads up over a no-deal anytime, though :)

$9.99 for me today.

If you enjoyed The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, this may interest you.
Neil Gaiman wrote a “history” of the man and the series called Don’t Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Amazon has it for $2 today.