Ebook Bargains

No.

But at least it well tell you know instead of letting you wonder if it went through.

Yeah, I just tried it. 50 MB limit, even on the Send to Kindle app. Darn. No comics through Kindle I guess. I’ll have to find some other app that reads epub files maybe. That’s the smallest size at only 157MB.

I use Fiction Book Reader. Not perfect, but it works well enough.

What are you reading them on? I use Chunky on my iPAd. Comic Zeal might also work for you.

Mark Bittman does excellent cookbooks and his Best World Recipes is $2 on Kindle at the moment.

The Tor.com ebook club’s August giveaway is The Just City by Jo Walton.

http://www.tor.com/2016/08/01/tor-com-free-ebook-club-august-the-just-city-by-jo-walton/

If you ever wanted to read the novel that started the Jason Bourne series, the first of the Bourne novels, The Bourne Identity is on sale at Amazon for $1.99

Last Call by Tim Powers is $0.99 at Bookbub today:

So I ended up buying it because I’ve misplaced my copy and this is one of my faves. It turns out there’s an Audible version narrated by Bronson Pinchot. Has anyone ever listed to one of his narrations?

The Fireman, The Kindle version, by Joe Hill is on sale today for $4.99

Thanks for the heads up. I like Joe Hill and this sounds like a good story.

True murder and madness book bundle at Humble Bundle. Anyone heard of any of these books, or any of these true crime murders?

Tor’s Ebook of the Month Club’s free book for September is Steven Erikson’s Gardens of the Moon.

It’s a trap! It’s the first of a 10 book series apparently.

On the bright side, they say it’s a complete 10 volume series, which means if you like the first book for free, you can actually buy and read the rest now, unlike other fantasy series where you’re constantly wondering if they’ll ever be finished.

Anyone here read it? Good series?

I haven’t read it yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the series. Apparently it is really complex too if one prefers that style. It is near the top of my to-read list.

It’s an exceptionally good series. The first book is also. . .well, I won’t say the weakest, but it begins a structure that flows through the series.

The Malazan books toss you unprepared into a complicated, very fully realized world with lots of history and unusual fantasy-magical stuff going on. Each book tends to begin by introducing a vast array of characters, some old, some new, dropping them into innumerable plots, and then, beautifully and inexplicably, tying it all together into a glorious, mind-expanding resolution. The series itself does the very same thing. So book 1 sets up a lot of things that are to come later, and the first third of the book or so is quite hard for fantasy. It’s very worth the battle, though.

It’s sort of grimdark, boots-on-the-ground fantasy with all sorts of high-flying, demi-god level stuff happening just off-camera. The characters are generally wonderful and often hilarious, the settings are wondrous and astonishing, the prose is surprisingly artful and breathtakingly “information dense” (seriously, a re-read of the series shows you just how much foreshadowing and planning goes into every single sentence), the plotting is exceedingly deliberate and endlessly surprising, and the worldbuilding is absolutely tip-top-notch.

Probably my favorite fantasy series ever, and–yes, like you said–it’s already finished. After shopping Book 1 around as a possible film for a decade, Erikson got published and immediately churned out the remaining 9 volumes over the course of a decade or so.

His partner in this whole endeavor was Ian C. Esslemont, who built the world with him in the 1980s. Esslemont wrote some “Novels of the Malazan Empire” that fill in some gaps, explore other parts of the world, and generally expand upon and improve the core 10-book series, but they’re not, strictly speaking, necessary reading. Esslemont’s also not quite as talented a writer as Erikson, but the two series pair so well together that I manage to deal with it :)

Amazon has the entire series on the kindle fo $99.90, which means no discount. I do not get that at all because each book costs 9.99 then I rather buy them one at a time in case I don’t like it.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is one of the best fantasy series of all time and also an immense undertaking at probably a minimum of 8000 pages for the full thing (I think the first book is only like 600 and not all of the later books are in the 1000 page range but many are). If you tackle it seriously I recommend reading it from first book to last without intervening reads because there is that much to pick up on and doing that is an absurdly intense, wonderfully immersion experience. But if you aren’t sure, check out Deadhouse Gates. If you don’t like that, it’s probably not for you. If you do, go back, start from Gardens of the Moon, and embark on the adventure for real.

PS : I am not as convinced of Erickson’s chops as a prose writer as Armando is but it is still enormously worth it.

For those who have read them how many characters perspectives are used in the Malazan series? I am stoked for a new fantasy series but I have a problem with novels that swap perspective every chapter. Thanks!

Many. Way more than Game of Thrones, for example. But it’s also not structured as formally as that series - you can have long stretches following one character or rapid-fire switching in a complicated battle scene.

Yeah.

In particular, each book’s generally told more or less in third-person-limited voice from about half-a-dozen to maybe ten characters, with occasional brief interludes into the mind of an unusual or short-term viewpoint. They usually have a pretty clear breakpoint between them, but it’s not always a set pattern, and you might sit with one longer or shorter.

Many of these narrators show up repeatedly throughout the series, so you will get to know them and their individual stories quite well. . . but just as many are liable to die horribly. And probably get resurrected. And maybe killed again. It’s that kind of series.

At the start of things, this is part of what lends the series some of its legendary confusion: with half a dozen people spread across 2 or 3 wildly different parts of the world doing very different things you don’t understand, it’s easy to feel lost and overwhelmed. All I can say is trust Erikson: he knows what he’s doing, and within a few dozen more pages, all these people and places are going to start to feel familiar and clear, and almost all of them are going to be heartily welcomed when they return for a chapter or two.

There’s a couple of points in the series–the opener of Book 4 comes to mind–where you dive deep into the viewpoint of a single character for a very long time. This is often jarring, but also quite effective at establishing them as a real narrative force.

Sorry. I really like these books.