Ebook Bargains

Got it! Thanks for the tip.

Heres a great one for fans of Douglas Adams:

You can get the Dirk Gently Box set for Kindle today for $1.99

That includes both Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

Hard to beat at a buck a book.

Also the fun Tao series by Wesley Chu is also on sale for $1.99 each
The Lives of Tao, The Deaths of Tao and The ReBirths of Tao

These are stories about a secret war between two factions of an alien invasion of Earth. The aliens are beings of conscious energy and can bond with other life forms, sharing their bodies.
It takes place in current times but the aliens have been around influencing mankind for millennia.
The stories are written with a sense of humor but are not over the top camp. Fun reads!

You can find them here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awesley+chu&keywords=wesley+chu&ie=UTF8&qid=1486746226

@rshetts

The Amazon link is broken

Thanks for the heads up! Bought!

It’s been almost 2 decades since I read the Dirk Gently books.

Not sure how that happened but the link is now fixed, thanks for the heads up!

Every book in Max Gladstone’s absolutely wonderful Craft Sequence series can currently be purchased at $3 a pop on Amazon, including for some reason the preorder of the 6th book (due in September). Not sure what the occasion is, but I can absolutely recommend stocking up. for that matter, there is a preorder for the current five books as a single download for $12, if you are just starting the series.

There is also a preorder for a $3 title from Martha Wells but I am not sure if that’s a full novel or not.

Thanks for the heads-up! Fantastic books.

Since it’s due on March 14th, if you don’t mind waiting a couple of weeks you save $3 with the bundle. I may have to go for that.

Also, I recently got some paper mail from Amazon saying they upped my Amazon card to give me 5% back on Amazon purchases. Amazon is making harder to not buy from Amazon.

Whoa, that’s a great deal and Gladstone is a terrific writer. Thanks for the heads-up!

Apparently all it takes is a decent sale and a couple recs on Qt3 and I’m in up to my neck ($15). I have no willpower.

This is really good though, thank you all for the rec! Devoured something like a third of the first (well, third; I’m reading in publication order because that seems like the obviously correct move) last night and loving it.

The first book is book 3? Who does this guy think he is? George Lucas?

Heh. I was confuzzled, so I googled it:

http://www.tor.com/2016/08/05/what-order-should-you-read-the-craft-sequence-in/

(AWS is down currently, everyone panic)

The upshot is that the narrative time-jumps a bit, but intentionally and it’s structured so that reveals and characters and such make sense reading it in publication order. And hey, that’s what the author intended, I can dig it.

If the quality remains good throughout (and all indications are that it does), I’ll probably re-read in chronological order at some point.

Publication order is definitely the way to go. Although it’s not a series in the sense of having a strong throughline narrative. Every book has its own story that is fully concluded within that book. They just share some characters and are happening in a single continuity.

Gene Wold - Shadow & Claw is this month’s free ebook from Tor: http://www.tor.com/2017/03/07/gene-wolfes-shadow-claw-is-the-tor-com-ebook-club-pick-for-march/

Available until the 13th of March.

Wolfe’s Books of the New Sun are my favorite books of all time. Difficult, weird, wonderful things.

I’m glad to have them in digital form. Shadow & Claw and the next compendium of the next two books, those were the last paper books I bought before switching to digital. I finished Shadow of the Torturer. But it gets so hard to read Claw of the Conciliator that I gave up finally. I just had no idea what I was reading anymore. They were just words on a page. I had no idea who I was reading about, or what they had to do with the first book. Were they new characters? Were they new names for familiar people from the first book?

And action sequences took on a dream-like quality. Were they real? Was I reading about something in someone’s imagination? Did the world I was reading about suddenly become infested with zombie-like creatures from the deep and change the whole tone of the book? Or was it just a dream?

I can keep going with that type of “unknown” narrator and characters for a while, but it just kept going for so long that I finally had no clue and gave up.

Maybe having it in digital form will entice me into giving it another try.

Either that or I need to read a Wiki first and figure out the secrets first, and then try to read it.

There are definitely parts that make less sense than others (I have a hard time getting through the theater/play sections later in the books). Gene Wolfe loves using unreliable narrators so you can only trust the text itself as far as you can read on a page really, but I love that the books feel like nesting-dolls full of mystery. And I love the weird world he has put together, and the floaty dreamlike journey through it is one of the reasons I love the books.

Ah! So it’s a journey. That’s a big clue actually. I knew the first book was a journey, but I had no idea if the journey was still continuing in Book 2 or not.

The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie, is $2.99 on Amazon right now. This was one of my favorite fantasy series from the last 10 or so years.