Eco [Global survival game]

I couldn’t help myself!

Added cranes! Players can use the crane to build large walls in one click by targeting the corners with the claw.
Added a modular attachment system for vehicles
Added the Steam Truck!
Added the plough, harvester, and sowing attachments for the steam tractor

This stuff seems cool to me. I am not sure what the purposes of those farm field attachments are though since the game heavily discourages actually doing fields.

What I want… is a crop duster.

Hey Folks!

So we are doing a new large game. @Eric_Majkut, me, a few other people we know from IGN and GamesBeat are going to have a big game, hosted by the ECO devs. The trick to this is that we are going to be playing against other sites like Waypoint to see who can kill the meteor first. We’ll have our own cities, etc. We would love any of you to join us!

Ooooooooooooh! When is it starting?

The 23rd! I’ll get you folks some Discord info for our planning channel, etc

Pinging @Nesrie so she’ll see a new Eco game is starting. I’ll try to join up, and hopefully do better this time instead of disappearing after the first week or so.

I’d be interested–I did a run with some friends several months ago, and I’d be curious to see what’s changed since.

Jason forgot to mention the devs are also giving us the 8.0 update two weeks early, so we’ll be among the first to get to check out the new skill system, plumbing, new animals, new biomes, and some other cool additions :)

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, finally playing this game with all you guys is soooo tempting.

What kind of reliability do you need from players? I’d like to get in, but there’s a decent chance my gaming time will be reduced to zero for about a week not long after the 23rd.

My experience with the game is that it’s better to have a small amount of time daily rather than a large amount of time sporadically.

The other curious thing is that you can have some players spend a lot of effort in the early game and some players spend a lot of time in the mid game, and they can focus on different things. Actually, they have to focus on different things–there aren’t enough skill points to go around.

How have I never heard of this game? I would love to join in!

I’ve got more gaming going on these days, but I’d happy to give it a go. I guess I need to go back and read some release notes.

Yeah, I’m hugely tempted as well. Been enjoying their email updates since the Kickstarter, despite not owning it.

I keep seeing McMaster play this so I looked at it a bit. It seems like a fun and more social Mincraft-y style with some greater overarching goals.

Any good?

I had a server for a while and it was quite a bit of fun, with various people taking on specific roles like Carpenter, Blacksmith, Cook, etc. There was some overlap/conflict though (like the Hunter wanted to be the Butcher but the Cook ALSO wanted to hunt and harvest and not wait for the other Hunter!) and issues with casual players not around enough to keep up with the fast evolution of the economy.

It was also incredibly grindy, like carrying ONE shovel load of dirt at a time. I think some of the grind has been addressed since I’ve played.

That makes it sound like there is a sweet spot for number of players? I did see that there are private servers, so is that adjustable?

There probably is. They’re trying to walk a fine line here, like… hey you don’t need a huge community but at the same time try and make people rely enough on other people that you don’t have a one man show. What you wind up with though are a couple of people that aren’t necessary, can’t contribute really, can’t afford anything either, and it wasn’t a great balance last time.

I don’t know what the magic number is. I am not sure they really know either though. You just can’t have everyone relying on everyone else and then balance it so some items or groups aren’t worthwhile. You just gave someone a pointless, non-profitable and somewhat discouraging role.

Ugh, well I hope they get the balance right.