Eco [Global survival game]

so I kind of goofed and I think I made the world too small. Would anyone be upset if I regenerated? It’s pretty early in the world

Regenerating with a slightly larger world. I apologize for the loss, but it’ll end up a better experience. The world I made was way too small for us.

Then the meteor set to 7 days. So I had to change it so we dont immediately die. Hang in there!

This explains why I can’t find it in the listing.

Also, it did seem quite small, yes. In that I landed and went “ooohhhh… wilderness…” and then two people ran by me.

yeah, it’s regenerating again so I can reset the meteor. Won’t take long.

We are back in business. This is a nice world.

The server needed a configuration change to allow us to get skills from crafting, so it’s being restarted by the support people. Shouldn’t happen much more

Whelp I stayed up until 3am playing this silly game because I just wanted to do more. The price for someone my age playing that late is I wound up trying to build 7 Carpenter benches instead of the hewn logs right next to it. Cancel you say, well I tried. When you hit canel it just says you have no room in your inventory to cancel. So I built a stock pile and s storage bench and tried again… nope. I’m about 40% through finishing my oops project but sheesh.

It’s very easy to lose time in this game

Which is odd considering I don’t even have a goal. It’s mostly just open up more stuff, get more stuff oh and try not to fall in the river again because II fell over a cliff and had to swim closer to the ocean to get back out again… which makes me realize the world seems pretty small. I can get from one side to the other pretty quickly. Is that a setting, the size?

yeah, it’s supposed to be a little cramped. The first world I made was half this size and it was a bit… too cramped.

Hey everyone, are you enjoying the server so far?

Try to watch General chat in case someone is talking, we’re trying to figure out who should do what profession, etc!

Maybe I’m spoiled by Minecraft, but the world seems super small. I built my house and then logged on again to find a massive mansion right next door and even someone living underneath me!

It definitely feels small in comparison to Minecraft. But the world is dense with stuff, and there’s less need to go out and find stuff once people start setting up sustainable forestry/farming/etc.

In related news, I’m really good at making hewn logs and wooden furniture! I’ll build anyone a house or an addon at cost!

So, worth $30 for someone on the fence? You guys running around having a blast/great experience you’re going to come in here and gush over only you’re too busy playing?

I think you’re going to get biased perspectives from people here, but I think it’s worth jumping in.

+Very stable for early access.
+Same addictive nature of other gathering/building games.
+Deep, interconnected systems of ecology and economy.
+Cool feelings of accomplishment when you help people out.

-Forces specialization and cooperation, which can feel restrictive if you’re used to unbridled freedom and creativity.
-Still early access, so occasional bugs and weirdness.
-Enjoyment is 100% correlated with the quality of the people you play alongside.

I think this is where I am now. I step out of my square wooden box house with no doors and mud floors and look across and see some McMansion on stilts with a sloping roof and stairs and the immediate reaction is “what am I doing wrong!?”

I suspect it’s that I’m trying to do everything, instead of focusing on becoming the best fisherman I can and then paying someone else to build me a house and paying them in literal clams.

Also, just as a tip - when you cut down trees, cut down the stumps too so the trees will regrow. The other stuff, pulp, can be used to make paper and other stuff as well.

That’s exactly it, and I think it’s one of the growing pains of learning the game. In Minecraft or any other game in the genre, you can just do everything you want. But here, every different thing you do comes at a larger and larger skill point cost.

(I do think it’s kind of a failing of the game that it guides you into the log → hewn log → build house thing as part of the tutorial. It makes you think that those skills are a given or that you’re required to do them, when you’re definitely not).

Next time you see me, tell me what you want to build, and I’ll do it for fish or whatever.

I don’t normally play with other outside my gaming group aside from games that are designed for PUGs like MHW.

Here is my perspective.

I have no idea what I am doing. I’ve screwed up multiple times. The world vanished on me, like just flat out ended and I was starring into white space, and because I prefer to learn by trial and error than studying wiki’s, I continue to make inefficient and sometimes dumb mistakes…oh and I keep getting distracted and falling off a big cliff into the river near where I built my home…

and I am having a blast.

It’s like a builder game that’s calming, interesting and doesn’t have the zombies will eat you any minute feel but at the same time this meteor thing keeps me wanting to advance. I would never try and play this though with a straight up random and it seems like a couple straight up greedy bastards could easily destabilize… everything, but we don’t have it.

My family keeps wanting attention, and my steady gaming groups wants to play Civ and Stellaris, otherwise I’d be playing this game more.