Eeesh

Pulled this off of the POE News banner, and just had to make a thread.

Not Rated - Rate This!
Advertisement
In his Senate office, on a shelf next to an autographed baseball, Sen. Rick Santorum keeps a framed photo of his son Gabriel Michael, the fourth of his seven children. Named for two archangels, Gabriel Michael was born prematurely, at 20 weeks, on Oct. 11, 1996, and lived two hours outside the womb.

Upon their son’s death, Rick and Karen Santorum opted not to bring his body to a funeral home. Instead, they bundled him in a blanket and drove him to Karen’s parents’ home in Pittsburgh. There, they spent several hours kissing and cuddling Gabriel with his three siblings, ages 6, 4 and 1 1/2. They took photos, sang lullabies in his ear and held a private Mass.

Creepy.

Wow, Mary Landrieu might be my new favorite Senator:

I’m a huge fan of Santorum on policy but this is indeed spectaculary bizarre if true.

:shock:

Anyone here read savage love?

Not regularly, but I know the one you’re talking about.

I wonder if his parents felt the same as he and his wife did, or just supported them in their time while saying, afterward, that it was way creepy.

Course, its not like he took a photo of his miscarried child, photoshopped a halo and wings and posted it on the Internet or anything.

I feel compelled to ask for a link to whatever you’re referencing here.

http://www.momslittlegarden.com/jordan-riley.shtml

Wired.com had an article on the rather creepy world of “Dead Baby Sites”, usually coming from mothers of stillborn babies who add sites to webrings dedicated to bad poetry surrounding photochopped images of their stillborn babies with little angel wings and whatnot.

Somethingawful made one such site it’s “Awful Link of the Day”, which brought about a rather nasty, yet morbidly comical, reaction from the obsessed mothers and their, er, fans.

While I’m no fan of Santorum or the pro-life evangelical nutjobs, who the fuck are you guys to insult the way grieving parents choose to remember their stillborn children? It’s an incredibly traumatic event, especially for the mother, and very difficult to get over. It’s also very common for the parents to take photos and remember the children. Ever known a couple to have a stillborn child? It’s not something you just forget.

And people have been taking photos of dead relatives, especially infants, for over a century, so I fail to see what’s so wildly bizarre about posting them on the net as public memorials. I wouldn’t do it myself, but sheesh, what’s wrong with letting people mourn the way that they want?

Brett, I think it’s mostly “bring the fetus home and scare your kids with it” that creeps people out.

Alright, so it’s not exactly in context. And it is sad, but there’s a “you reap what you sow” thrill to the mockery.

No one said they shouldn’t mourn the way they wish.

But it doesn’t cease to give me a feeling of “creepy.”

Ewwwww… fun with foetuses.

At least its photoshopped wings and not toilet paper rolls, sellotape and stiff cardboard.

I’m a huge fan of Santorum on policy but this is indeed spectaculary bizarre if true.

:shock:[/quote]

A fan ON POLICY? Wow. Really. Wow.

Hey, who doesn’t like a little animal husbandry now and again…

Santorum is behind 14 points in the polls right now, btw.

That soondifferent post is really something. Ouch.

A friend of mine has this co-worker. Very Christian religious. This poor person and their spouse are trying desperately to have a baby and have had four miscarriages. One is just brutal–more difficult than one can imagine–but four. At some point the god you put so much stock in has to answer for that.

At any rate, this couple have official days of mourning for every one of the miscarriages. Two for each. On each day of each conception, and on each day of each miscarriage, they take off work to go to the graveside of each child–each miscarriage had a formal funeral–and pay their respects.

I’m all for live-and-let-live, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t drive a person out of their mind.

-Amanpour

Once upon a time when people died in their own homes instead of in a cold, hallowed hospital, it was common for families to leave the body in the bed while friends and other members of the family members would come by and pay their last respects.

Once upon a time it was popular to have pictures taken with dead children so as to preserve their memory.

History is fun!

Was that your point?

:shock:[/quote]

A fan ON POLICY? Wow. Really. Wow.[/quote]
I found that curious too. What policies exactly are you a huge fan of? I can’t remember one thing he’s said that I’ve agreed with.